Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Poverty of Brexit

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Fri 09-Feb-18 08:52:13

Poverty of ideas
Poverty of economy

It seems that NI is as useless said to stay in the Single Market according to EU draft.

Expect a major row from the headbangers and denial from Number 10

Round and around we go.

durhamjen Sat 24-Mar-18 14:19:53

labourlist.org/2018/03/alison-mcgovern-if-you-want-to-understand-what-the-brexiteers-dont-start-with-fish/

I hope Brexiteers are watching what is happening between USA and China.

Bridgeit Sat 24-Mar-18 14:23:03

Actually DJ. I would like to know why you posted your comment to me, can you explain it, we can all look up topics being discussed on here from another source Im sure many of us do,but that doesn’t mean we can’t ask other posters what their meaning is if we are participating on an online discussion, facts are facts, someone’s interpretation is something again. What is your problem please?

whitewave Sat 24-Mar-18 16:06:19

Somebody tweeted

“This is incredible the Great North march has been passing my house for 15 minutes and I still can’t see the end of it”

GracesGranMK2 Sat 24-Mar-18 16:44:32

Good piece Jen. I would quote this as a way of viewing things that I often see posted.

Here the Brexit ultras reach their fundamental misunderstanding – or deliberate ignorance – of trade. They seem to think that outside the single market and customs union we can put up huge barriers to imports but expect to be able to export without any new barriers.

durhamjen Sat 24-Mar-18 17:22:16

On the news about the problems that Brexit will have with Danish fishermen. When will Gove say we need a wall to keep our fish inside?

petra Sat 24-Mar-18 17:55:58

durhamjen
You've been reading the express again !!

varian Sat 24-Mar-18 17:56:59

I have just watched the BBC TV news. There was an item about Owen Smith being sacked for suggesting that there should be a referendum on the final Brexit deal.

A Labour MP called John Mann was introduced as a Remainer. He immediately corrected that saying he voted Leave. He defended Jeremy Corbyn's sacking of Owen Smith saying that Labour voters wanted Brexit. The interviewer pointed out that Labour party members at their conference had said much the same as Owen Smith and most LP members voted Remain. John Mann said that members might have voted Remain but most Labour voters had voted Leave.

Analysis of voting in the referendum showed that 65% of Labour voters had voted Leave. I expected the interviewer to point this out, but of course, she didn't. I wonder whether that was because she didn't know he was lying or because it would not suit her bosses at the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation for these lies to be called out??

durhamjen Sat 24-Mar-18 18:03:52

Channel4 news petra. On the news, not in the news.

Welshwife Sat 24-Mar-18 18:24:48

How do they know that they are getting correct information when they do these analyses of the polls? I didn’t notice anything on my voting paper mentioning my age, sex, party affiliation or not and what I voted. The analyses must all be questionable and not worth quoting.

durhamjen Sat 24-Mar-18 18:30:57

Channel4 news now, a whistle blower about vote-leave.

varian Sat 24-Mar-18 18:45:19

Those of us who do not depend on the BBC to tell us the news might be aware that there was a huge anti-brexit march in Leeds today. Needless to say the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation did not mention it.

www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/key-moments-great-northern-march-14453557

varian Sat 24-Mar-18 19:21:42

The analysis of voting in the EU referendum was based on large samples of voters interviewed after the referendum, who were asked how they voted and also gave information about age, party preferences, education, newspaper readership etc.

The fact that individuals may not have been interviewed does not invalidate the results.

durhamjen Sat 24-Mar-18 22:03:55

May really does need to get rid of this idiot.

"The Defence Secretary said three new £116 million Navy boats, HMS Forth, HMS Trent and HMS Medway, would be the UK’s “eyes and ears” in the Royal Navy Fishery Protection Squad.

He proclaimed: “The Royal Navy has a proud tradition of protecting the UK’s coastline and keeping a close eye on our fishing waters.

“With these state-of-the-art, vastly capable ships we stand ready to protect our fisheries once Britain leaves the EU.” "

whitewave Sun 25-Mar-18 15:52:28

Which type of brexiter are you?

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZJEPszW0AEEUM0?format=jpg

petra Sun 25-Mar-18 16:09:44

I'm a bit of Barold, I'm rich.
.................... Doris, I want the best for my country.
Gary should buy a property in in-land Spain otherwise he's still going to have a problem with immigration.
Linda? She needs to get a life grin

whitewave Sun 25-Mar-18 16:13:54

Yes we know you are rich petra you never fail to remind us. grin

Jalima1108 Sun 25-Mar-18 17:13:19

I'm sure I just read that
"The Defence Secretary said three new £116 million Navy boats, HMS Forth, HMS Trent and HMS Medway, would be the UK’s “eyes and ears” in the Royal Navy Fishery Protection Squad etc

somewhere else - those exact words in fact
confused and wondering what the problem is

www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2018/february/26/180226-hms-forth-welcomed-to-her-home-port-of-portsmouth

jura2 Sun 25-Mar-18 17:18:51

remember them ' ooooo I'm considerably richer that yoooo'
type ;) sad doh

durhamjen Sun 25-Mar-18 17:39:54

"The new OPVs can move four knots faster than their predecessors at 24 knots, have an increased range of 5,500 nautical miles, have a 30mm automatic cannon as their main armament instead of a 20mm gun, two Miniguns, four machine-guns and are equipped with two Pacific 24 sea boats. "

So they need these to protect our coatslines again other EU countries, do they? I thought we wanted to be friends with them still even though we don't want to be part of them.

Jalima1108 Sun 25-Mar-18 17:42:47

HMS Forth: She is the first of five state-of-the-art Royal Navy vessels, designed for counter-piracy, anti-smuggling, fishery protection, border patrol, counter terrorism and maritime defence duties.

Did I read it somewhere else as well, or am I imagining that?

durhamjen Sun 25-Mar-18 20:26:44

infacts.org/vote-leave-cheated/

We should get another referendum if voteleave cheated.

durhamjen Sun 25-Mar-18 22:28:16

First fight non-stop Perth to Heathrow, 17 hours. They'll have to speed up to get to six hours.

durhamjen Sun 25-Mar-18 22:31:35

Sorry, flight, I meant. It's getting late.

durhamjen Sun 25-Mar-18 23:11:12

Tegan did you get to the Newcastle march?

durhamjen Sun 25-Mar-18 23:16:53

He (Gavin Williamson) proclaimed: “The Royal Navy has a proud tradition of protecting the UK’s coastline and keeping a close eye on our fishing waters.

“With these state-of-the-art, vastly capable ships we stand ready to protect our fisheries once Britain leaves the EU.”
Slightly different. He's going to protect our fisheries from the EU. How, exactly. Start a new Icelandic war, except with more than Iceland?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion