Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour back tracks and betrays the British public over Brexit.

(341 Posts)
Day6 Sun 25-Feb-18 13:56:27

Labour shifts to back a customs union with EU after Brexit (Sky News)

news.sky.com/story/labour-shifts-to-back-a-customs-union-with-eu-after-brexit-11267193

Sir Keir Starmer Labours Shadow Brexit secretary said Labour had "unanimously" agreed at a meeting last week to "develop" their Brexit policy.

He said: "It's a customs union… there's going to have to be a new agreement, but will it do the work of the current customs union? Yes, that's the intention."

Sir Keir admitted Labour's position means it will have to be "negotiated" as to who is in control of Britain's trade policy after Brexit.

He said: "We will have to have a say but the real point is - because we all want trade agreements, we all want more trade agreements - are we more likely to get them if we do it jointly with the EU or on our own?

From Labour Leave. (below) The Andrew Marr interview.

Marr: After we leave, who will be in charge of trade policy?

Starmer: That will have to be negotiated.

"Keir_Starmer confirms a Labour government would sell out the British public on Brexit and tie us into a protectionist Customs Union with the EU. Shameful!"

lemongrove Thu 01-Mar-18 17:32:01

grin Wally

varian Thu 01-Mar-18 17:55:17

"I voted for tropical sunshine and I've got snow. That just goes to show you the luck I'm having lately."

A good summary of just how realistic the Leave vote was.

durhamjen Thu 01-Mar-18 19:31:13

They voted for the UK to be made a mockery of, by its own government.

jackofkent.com/2018/03/brexit-and-the-contrast-between-process-and-publicity/

lemongrove Thu 01-Mar-18 20:09:28

Ah, well if jackofkent says so, who am I to disagree! ?

The Leave vote was very realistic ( as it is in the process of happening.)

durhamjen Fri 02-Mar-18 00:15:57

All the legal expertise in the Tory party is on the remain side. Does that not concern you?

suzied Fri 02-Mar-18 05:29:24

Why listen to expertise when you have superbrains like Davis to blindly follow into the sunny uplands /off the cliff edge

whitewave Fri 02-Mar-18 07:40:56

suzied grin

suzied Fri 02-Mar-18 08:01:32

Just listened to Boris Johnson saying he “can’t remember” signing off £46m of public money in the “ consultation “ over the garden bridge which benefitted many of his cronies. That’s ok then.

Tegan2 Fri 02-Mar-18 20:11:21

Strangely enough, the Leave EU leaflet said 'don't believe those who are talking Britain down- here's what the EXPERTS say' [then went on to quote Sir Richard Dearlove [former MI6 chief]; Nigel Lawson [former chancellor]; John Langworth [former director general British chamber of commerce]; Gisela Stuart [MP at the time but has now done a runner] and, wow; Tim Martin [chaiman of Weatherspoons]. So, perhaps brexiters shouldn't have listened to 'experts'...of, the same leaflet that mentioned Nissan, Toyota, Unilever etc without their permission

durhamjen Thu 08-Mar-18 17:23:42

www.anothereurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/aeip-reform-final-web.pdf

Well worth reading to show how Labour can improve on Brexit.

varian Thu 08-Mar-18 17:57:28

The real improvement would be to just cancel Brexit - OK, I know it's unlikely to happen but I can't give up hope that we see sense in time.

durhamjen Thu 08-Mar-18 19:13:42

I haven't given up on that, either, varian.

mostlyharmless Thu 08-Mar-18 20:40:54

I keep waiting for that little boy to shout out “But the Emperor has nothing on at all!”

bmacca Thu 08-Mar-18 21:12:33

Evidence of how bad leaving the EU will be
www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-brexit-assessments-the-government-didnt-want-released-have-been-published-now-everyone-can-see-what-they-were-hiding/08/03/

durhamjen Fri 09-Mar-18 00:19:38

Definitely need EEA if we are going to leave.