Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian spy attempted murder - what should the UK do?

(501 Posts)
Gerispringer Fri 09-Mar-18 14:07:05

Just listened to a radio piece on this awful attack on the Russian spy and his daughter in which 21 people were affected. one suggestion why these attacks are carried out in the UK was that the response of the UK in the past e.g. Litvinyenko has been weak, so whoever carries out such attacks has no fear of comeback. What can the UK do? Boycott the World Cup?

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 17:13:16

Of course, Putin won’t care what we do or what we say, however all the other countries in Europe are another matter, also the US.
The poisonings and the limelight won’t help or hinder his election because a) it will be rigged and b) who else is there still alive to oppose him.
The Kremlin are seeing what they can get away with in the world at large, and sadly the answer is a lot.
That doesn’t mean we can’t do anything though.

Primrose65 Sat 17-Mar-18 17:13:59

But the actions should be escalated to 'take on Russian money'? I see what you mean by talking now.

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 17:17:08

Dialogue with Putin wouldn’t get us anywhere.
Look how they have handled this, not even pretended concern.
At the moment, dialogue isn’t really needed.

whitewave Sat 17-Mar-18 17:17:32

I would bet anything though that the dirty money will not be tackled.

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 17:18:01

Just a bit of action.....freezing assets!

whitewave Sat 17-Mar-18 17:21:07

This is however a time for cool judgement and intelligent thought.

Escalation is filled with potential horror- time to take stock and ignore all the siren calls for action.

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 17:26:19

Soundbites ww !

Freezing the assets of Putin’s friends here is something the government has already talked about.A good idea as money and power are what interests the Kremlin, so hit the money.

whitewave Sat 17-Mar-18 17:27:29

Sorry?

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 17:38:42

Your post of 17.21.07
Somebody’s soundbites?

whitewave Sat 17-Mar-18 17:45:20

Ah! You’ve just reminded me why it is not wise to get into dialogue with you lemon - charm is clearly not your middle name.

Why on earth would you not be gracious enough to accept what I say as honestly said. This isn’t the first time you’ve suggested the same. Shame on you.

Jane10 Sat 17-Mar-18 17:55:52

The strength of the unified opposition from UK, US, France and Germany to the Russian action and response may have surprised Putin. If nothing else it may mean fewer Russian assassinations over here. I'd hope his card is marked.

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Mar-18 18:04:50

Not forgetting Canada, Australia and support from many other countries and states.

and the EU:
European Council president Donald Tusk said: "Irrespective of Brexit and the tough negotiations, I would like to express my full solidarity with Prime Minister Theresa May in the face of the brutal attack, which was inspired, most likely, by Moscow.

"I am ready to put this issue on the agenda of next week's EU summit."

whitewave Sat 17-Mar-18 18:07:44

So I for one fervently hope it stops at the stern warning.

Do I think it will stop him trying again? Absolutely not.

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 20:49:54

They were your own words whitewave ?
Am so used to reading soundbites and quotes on here from newspapers, articles, blogs etc which is what it sounded like.
You mustn't be personal in your replies!

lemongrove Sat 17-Mar-18 20:54:56

I agree Jane in spite of all his bluster and disdain he will be discombobulated ( word of the week ?) at the very least.

durhamjen Sat 17-Mar-18 21:42:30

There are 44 signatures on the EDM which supports May and is against Corbyn.
11 of those signatures are not labour MPs.
So saying that all Corbyn's backbenchers were against him is patently wrong.

durhamjen Sat 17-Mar-18 22:42:09

Who is Putin's useful stooge?
twitter.com/ThomasPride/status/974947936323895296/photo/1

durhamjen Sat 17-Mar-18 23:05:36

voxpoliticalonline.com/2018/03/17/tories-are-manipulating-the-nerve-agent-crisis-to-divert-attention-away-from-their-dealings-with-russia/

Lazigirl Sun 18-Mar-18 10:19:50

Its not often I agree with Peter Hitchens but my attention was drawn to an article by him in Mail on Sunday headed The patriotic thought police came for Corbyn. You are next. He says that The treatment of JC both by politicians and many in the media, for doing what he is paid for and leading the opposition, seems to me to be downright shocking. It is an interesting article with a different viewpoint on the current situation than the mainstream is following at the moment.

lemongrove Sun 18-Mar-18 10:32:52

It is not often ( indeed, never) that I agree with Hitchens.
His columns and radio and tv interviews are all ‘Hitchens’ driven in that they are about him being at odds with everybody else on just about any subject under the sun.
He will always go for the controversial every time.It keeps his name in the news and pays well I suppose.

durhamjen Sun 18-Mar-18 10:50:48

Thanks, lazigirl. I wouldn't have read it if you hadn't said something about it.
I agree with you and him.

MaizieD Sun 18-Mar-18 10:52:58

Nothing like a good ad hominem as a substitute for critical thinking, lemon

durhamjen Sun 18-Mar-18 10:57:15

That's all she can say, as she hasn't read the article, Maizie.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 18-Mar-18 11:10:31

This article has been pointed out on the politics programmes this morning. It has also been interesting to see those who have condemned Corbyn during the week taking many sentences to ensure they don't do it again although they are still playing for popularity by not admitting he was doing his job and he probably knows, as Peter Hichins said "... has a better record on foreign policy than almost anyone in Parliament."

The problem with appealing to the masses, the Daily Mail tribe, as the Conservatives are attempting to do, is that the masses often don't get it right and end up handing over their own democracy. We have seen this with both the far left and far right in other countries. As the offering from the right is currently much more extreme than the offering from the left I worry about our democracy while its in their hands.

durhamjen Sun 18-Mar-18 11:20:28

thegreatcritique.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/false-flag-no-but-theresa-may-is-clearly-hiding-something/