Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn's Magnetism

(1001 Posts)
Primrose65 Mon 19-Mar-18 09:53:54

A thread for all Corbyn lovers & haters

Primrose65 Mon 19-Mar-18 14:15:47

Well exactly Annie. And I agree lemongrove McDonnell keeps distancing himself from Corbyn. I'm sure we'll understand why soon!

There are figures out on Labour Election spending. They spent over £250,000 on Google ads during the election. I wonder which company they used to place those ads and what methods were used to profile people. I'll see if I can find out. (I think it's topical, given all the Cambridge Analytica stuff in the news)

They even advertised in the Daily Mail! grin

TerriBull Mon 19-Mar-18 14:16:21

GracesGrabMK2, I'm wondering if you are perhaps the current Mrs Corbyn confused How many Corbyn threads are there now?

Anniebach Mon 19-Mar-18 14:29:30

McDonald used Corbyn , he failed to enter a leadership contest himself, so put Corbyn forward.

That is a big spend on Ads, be most interesting to find which company etc

Primrose65 Mon 19-Mar-18 14:37:48

Interesting opinion piece in the FT - Centrists are not ready to take on Jeremy Corbyn

www.ft.com/content/47be33e6-2909-11e8-9274-2b13fccdc744

The mood is dark in discussions on the WhatsApp groups that bring together disgruntled non-Corbynite parliamentarians; they buzz with talk of resignations and splits. Some in Labour are facing up to the fact that, by bringing in hundreds of thousands of new members, Mr Corbyn has remade their party in his own leftist image.

One of the most senior Labour moderates frets that his party “may not be salvageable” — meaning it is time to abandon ship. Listen carefully at Westminster and you can hear fresh whispers of a new party forming. Labour moderates are again talking up an exit and sometimes discussing it with Tory moderates, often in bars late at night in the House of Commons.

The article continues to say that they are not ready and he suggests that they need "three themes that should be cornerstones of any new political agenda" - which he puts forward as wealth, competition & ownership and I'll paraphrase as tax on pensions, more competition and people owning the companies they work for (like John Lewis)

Anniebach Mon 19-Mar-18 14:48:20

I wish they would form a new party, they couldn't win an election yet but to have a Labour Party again would be great. Memories of Shirley Williams,David Owens &Co are still fresh, they couldn't take anymore of the far left.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 14:56:32

Not another f8cking Corbyn thread
Well, I suppose it's fair enough if there is still more to say

It's not compulsory to join in smile

I wouldn't have called him f8cking Corbyn myself though.

OldMeg Mon 19-Mar-18 14:58:46

‘In fact’ lemongrove???

Surely your comment was an opinion, not a fact? ?

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:09:20

The threads are not running concurrently; they are consecutive.
Without wishing to cause any controversy and asking in the nicest possible way - if there is a thread about Theresa May (complete with derogatory remarks) why not one about Jeremy Corbyn?
People can post nice things about him if they wish.

He obviously attracts a lot of posters, therefore each thread gets to 1,000 posts more quickly than the one on Theresa May (it's struggling a bit).

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:12:21

And I agree lemongrove McDonnell keeps distancing himself from Corbyn. I'm sure we'll understand why soon!
Yes, I thought he was doing that on Peston yesterday, very subtly but it was obvious.

I keep wondering if moves are afoot for another vote of no confidence but that is just an opinion.

OldMeg Mon 19-Mar-18 15:21:39

OK I’ll post something nice about Corbyn. I don’t expect many to agree and I don’t give a toss if they do or not...

But I think he’s very honest and sincere. He believes in social justice. He answers questions, a rare trait in politicians. He tries his best to be true to his personal beliefs. He has certainly grown as a Leader since he took over that role.

That will do for now.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:26:58

The mood is dark in discussions on the WhatsApp groups that bring together disgruntled non-Corbynite parliamentarians; they buzz with talk of resignations and splits. Some in Labour are facing up to the fact that, by bringing in hundreds of thousands of new members, Mr Corbyn has remade their party in his own leftist image.

I think this is to misunderstand what has happened. I cannot access the whole article which may, of course, take the argument further but this is doing exactly what posters have done on GN in the past; the so called "non-Corbynites" are heaping all the blame, for people being attracted to a move into a different area of politics, on just one man. And it appear to be just because it is a different direction to the one they wish to go in. This is being deliberately blind to the fact that their politics did not appeal whereas, the politics of what appears to many to be more "true" Labour, does.

Why not start a new party? If they are as sure as they appear to be that they are right, people would recognise that. If they believe people believe what they suggest, they should believe those people will join them. I appreciate the unions and their money would stay with "True Labour" but they didn't seem to want the unions anyway. It is really just by luck the Corbyn was the one on the left to be in the right place when the mood changed. They need to show how their politics differ - does anyone on here know - actual political ethos, not rhetoric? And they need to stop attacking one man. If they don't, eventually people will see them for the empty vestal they currently sound like. They are just making a great deal on noise with nothing, or so it appears, to back it up. They need to be prepared, and brave enough, to say what that is.

Anniebach Mon 19-Mar-18 15:32:25

Blackmail must be very difficult to deal with

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:32:51

He tries his best to be true to his personal beliefs.
So why do you think he has changed his mind on Brexit, having been anti-EU for many years?

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:34:03

They are just making a great deal on noise with nothing, or so it appears, to back it up. They need to be prepared, and brave enough, to say what that is.

Yes

Anniebach Mon 19-Mar-18 15:36:33

And why did he address Hamas as friends yet when questioned by the select committee say - I was wrong. Why did he deny not knowing IRA Members yet he did. Why did he not honour his no 2 marriage vows yet talk of equality between the sexes

GracesGranMK2 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:39:11

Ad hominin Annie.

Day6 Mon 19-Mar-18 16:47:39

No one can deny Corbyn and the party within the party, Momentum, are hot topics right now. Why shouldn't there be another thread?

Primrose65 Mon 19-Mar-18 16:48:17

I'm not sure it is, really. I don't want to slip into a Pythonesque 5-minute argument post, but ........
Given that the substance of the thread is Corbyn, and ad hominem is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided, I will propose a counterargument that a post saying
'ad hominem Annie'
in response to a post about the central motif of the thread is actually an ad hominem argument.

I need a cup of tea now. brewbrewbrew

Day6 Mon 19-Mar-18 16:57:00

There is of course hat-gate to discuss as well. If Corbyn hadn't prevaricated in pointing the finger at Russia and doing his best to exonerate Putin and co, just as he seems to favour the enemies of the UK over security at home, the press might have saved the allegiance to Russia and Trotsky themes for another time.

Day6 Mon 19-Mar-18 16:59:29

Chuckling Primrose. You are right.

M0nica Mon 19-Mar-18 16:59:32

Corbyn's what? He always strikes me as a bit of a drip.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 19-Mar-18 17:12:00

Ad hominin.

lemongrove Mon 19-Mar-18 17:24:10

Do you know Primrose I think your last post is absolutely spot on.grin
It seems to be a buzzword doesn’t it, certainly used a lot on here.

Day6 Mon 19-Mar-18 17:25:41

GracesGran those of you who are sick of threads about Corbyn and co need not post on them. I have looked in on Brexit threads, started and ' inhabited' by Remainders ( mostly) playing the "let's jump on every little news item no matter how fleeting which supports our point of view" game. Remainers have formed a happy little band and those sick of the incessant minutiae of negotiations being churned out have left them to wallow in it. Likewise all the government/TM bashing threads. The cult of Corbyn fans keep those going too.

One would hope that your aim here is not to bash posters or critique their style just because you disagree politically with them.

If you believe strongly in Corbyn you have nothing to fear from those on this thread who question his leadership and worry about the direction in which the Labour Party is being led. I write as someone who voted Labour for decades but now has too many reservations to ever consider doing so again.

lemongrove Mon 19-Mar-18 17:33:42

If only the MP’s who oppose Corbyn and the way he is taking the LP to the far left would break away, although I do understand the reluctance to leave, the unions bankroll the Labour movement and new donors would have to be found quickly.Plus they understandably do not want to split the votes for future elections.
Doing nothing, and hoping Corbyn will take early
gardening leave isn’t a great option either!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion