Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cambridge Analytica

(295 Posts)
OldMeg Wed 21-Mar-18 07:12:06

This is certainly an eye opener.

Has anyone been following the story? Channel 4 News did an excellent exposé.

MaizieD Wed 21-Mar-18 18:14:09

Have the scoffers ever seen some of the 'ads' which were being targeted at voters on FB by Leave EU?

I know at least one Leaver who would believe every one of them...

twitter.com/nickreeves9876/status/976434758694600705

And I am awed by the perfect posters who are not in the slightest bit influenced by anything at all

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 18:19:45

No warrant issued yet. Blimey! What on earth is going on?

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 18:30:14

I suppose all the evidence of leave uk etc hasn’t been got rid of yet.

petra Wed 21-Mar-18 18:33:22

Cambridge Paralytica
Everyone should share that. It deserves more than a chuckle, baggs

lemongrove Wed 21-Mar-18 18:35:42

We are all to a greater or lesser degree susceptible to and influenced by things MaizieD which is why advertising and marketing are such important tools.
Lots of online forums are used as info gathering tools.If you don’t want it used, don’t put it out there is the best advice.
There are rules and regs even so.

Baggs Wed 21-Mar-18 18:47:24

And I am awed by the perfect posters who are not in the slightest bit influenced by anything at all

I am awed by the posters who seem to be in a permanent state of anxious alarmist dread. Beats me how they keep it up. I'd want tranquillisers if I were in that state.

petra Wed 21-Mar-18 18:50:53

baggs
It's up there with the best pearl clutching stories. They're going to wear them away if they're not careful.

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 18:55:58

Quote from the programme”

“It doesn’t have to be true it just has to be believed”

£350 million a week for the NHS
Exactly the same benefits
Taking back control
Brexit dividend
Leaving is easy
Undemocratic EU
They need us

Primrose65 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:00:13

Cambridge Paralytica grin

Primrose65 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:02:03

“It doesn’t have to be true it just has to be believed”

Much like the allegations against CA.

Tegan2 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:08:06

So, do you feel they have done nothing wrong? Maybe at other times in history people have felt that way.....do we never learn??

Primrose65 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:15:17

What 'I feel' is pretty irrelevant. Let the ICO take a look and come to a conclusion. I'll get excited when someone ends up in court.

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 19:18:17

primrose your replies seem to suggest that you have neither seen the programme, read the reports.

Baggs Wed 21-Mar-18 19:25:32

Same here, primrose.

As it happens, I've changed my view about the media giants quite recently. When Facebook et al were first being called publishers I objected o that idea because, as I saw it, FB did not "publish" anything I put on my page; I did. FB enabled my publishing of whatever material I wanted to post on FB.

Now though, I think that the media giants of online communication have developed enough and have become powerful enough that new rules are needed. What goes public, what is put in the public sphere by groups like LeaveUK should be subject to the same sort of political campaign advertising rules as what's published on TV and in newsprint.

Morgana Wed 21-Mar-18 19:41:27

Haven't watched the news yet today, but thought it interesting that the TV media seems to have concentrated on the effect on the American election - no mention of the effect on the outcome of the referendum. Was there not also the suggestion that the info. from FB was actually paid for?
What I found frightening was the idea that personalities can be pigeon holed so easily - or am I just naive? Going to make it very easy for the robots to take over ........

MaizieD Wed 21-Mar-18 19:45:59

We are all to a greater or lesser degree susceptible to and influenced by things MaizieD which is why advertising and marketing are such important tools.

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs, lemon. Fancy me not knowing that... [wish we had an eye roll emoticon]

Then why are all these flawless posters denying that anything influences them, or anyone else?

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 19:46:09

Hope you pay your BBC licence fee, baggs.

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 19:48:35

Guardian reporting.

MPs calling for an investigation over SCL and its access to sensitive and classified documents

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:38:37

I think it is the height of patronising bullshit to think voters are so easily swayed.
Gosh, a bit of common sense shining through.

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 20:42:29

I never think swearing is common sense.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:43:31

Hope you pay your BBC licence fee, baggs.
How rude
hmm

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 20:44:32

Obviously you disagree with lemon, then, who thinks we are all susceptible to marketing.
That must be a first.

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 20:44:47

Nobody seems have quite got the point of what is happening here.

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 20:45:41

Not rude at all. Lots of people thought they didn't need a tv licence to watch the news on iplayer.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:47:37

It was rude
and was nothing to do with the discussion.