Gransnet forums

News & politics

Syria - what can be done

(184 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 11-Apr-18 22:09:32

Like everyone, I'm watching the news with horror. This evening I heard that Trump is threatening Putin. Theresa May has said there should be a Parliamentary vote if the UK is to support the US in a military, ie bombing, campaign.

The involvement of UK forces in support of US invasions in recent years has been a continuing disaster. Assad is a despot, who is supported by Iran and Russia. I feel despair, does anyone have constructive suggestions about the best way this country can help the people of Syria?

POGS Thu 19-Apr-18 12:09:47

trisher

"Suppose there isn't any evidence, how would Mrs May &Cos missile attack look then?"

There probably is little to no chance of finding evidence by now but why do you think that is?

As I said previously on this or another thread . The OPCW should have gone into Douma with the ' lauded by some' journalist Robert Fisk so they would not get shot at. Who knew all they had to say was "We're with him".

lemongrove Thu 19-Apr-18 12:27:09

The Russian excuses for not allowing them in was laughable.
It doesn’t matter though, there was enough evidence at the time ( and perhaps the 50 or more times that Assad used barrel bombs or other chemical weapons.)

nigglynellie Thu 19-Apr-18 18:00:53

There won't be any evidence left now! The authorities have had four days to clear it all up and prime a few people to deny all knowledge! You don't have to be over bright to realise that!!

Joelsnan Thu 19-Apr-18 19:25:30

Since getting involved in this civil war the US and Brits objective has been to preven Iran making further gains in Syria, this is at the behest of Israel who certainly do not want Iran any closer to them. If you research international news you will find in the days around the 'alleged' chemical attack Israel was making bombing incursions into Syria, an extremely dangerous thing to do.
As everything around the gassing appears rather inconclusive and all that was shown on TV were the poor children potentially to draw in the gullible whilst the actual odd Us/French/Brit (only) minor bomb raid was actually a nod to Iran and Russia not to respond to the Israeli bombings or else!

trisher Fri 20-Apr-18 11:48:51

The team have withdrawn anyway after coming under attack.
www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/18/arrival-of-chemical-inspectors-in-douma-delayed-by-gunfire

POGS Fri 20-Apr-18 13:05:13

trisher

Re your link it was common knowledge 3 days ago they were being fired on.

That is obviously why I said they should have gone in with Fisk and asked 'why do you think that is"?

lemongrove Fri 20-Apr-18 15:56:58

They should just come home, no point hanging around while the Russians clear away any evidence.

winterwhite Wed 25-Apr-18 16:47:29

Coming in late because have been away. Like the rest of you, I too have been reading Robert Fisk’s reports from the Middle East for several years. He cares about his subject, And carries on sending these reports even when the rest of the world is looking the other way. He knows the territory well. He has a deserved reputation for getting where he wants to go, seeing what he wants to see, and ‘telling it like it is’. A great pity that it is suddenly found necessary to denounce him in this way. And whatever our politics the Marmite comments are uncalled for IMO.