Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unintended consequences of brexit

(1001 Posts)
varian Wed 09-May-18 18:40:33

An executive at Airbus says that work on the Galileo sat-nav system will have to be moved out of the UK if the company wins a key contract. Galileo has become something of a political football in Brexit talks. The EU says it would have to stop the UK from accessing the encrypted part of the network when it leaves next year.

Colin Paynter, the company's UK managing director, said that EU rules required Airbus to transfer all work to its factories in France and Germany. Mr Paynter was speaking at a Commons committee hearing on Exiting the European Union on Wednesday.

The system was conceived to give Europe its own satellite-navigation capability - independent of US GPS - for use in telecommunications, commercial applications, by emergency services and the military. Airbus is currently bidding for the renewal of a contract covering the Galileo ground control segment - potentially worth about 200 million euros. This work is currently run out of Portsmouth.

About 100 people are currently employed by Airbus on these services. Most would likely have to move to where the work is, but it's possible some could be reallocated to other projects.

"One of the conditions in that bid documentation from the European Space Agency is that all work has to be led by an EU-based company by March '19," Mr Paynter told the committee. Effectively that means that for Airbus to bid and win that work, we will effectively novate (move) all of the work from the UK to our factories in France and Germany on day one of that contract."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44055475

petra Tue 03-Jul-18 19:41:41

Maryeliza54
I think the sticking plaster is coming off again Re the immigration policy 'settled' on Sunday.
Vorhofstadt ripped into Tusk in the parliament today. Saying that the 'deal' struck on Sunday was meaningless, and, where was the money coming from for immigration centres and the border guards.

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:49:31

No Gill I am not "more au fait" with the NHS than a doctor who works within it. I said I am a supporter of the NHS despite the fact that I voted for Brexit and it isn't for anyone to tell me as a leave voter that I'm not or to have the audacity to assume that they know what I may or may not think.

I don't claim to be well educated and intelligent varian I am and have absolutely no intention of reiterating my reasons for voting for Brexit, which I did 2 years ago after the referendum.

Thank goodness that I'm not "poorly educated, racist, thick" and have no need for your sympathy and no GN leaver to my knowledge has made such a disparaging remark about leavers. If they have you need to back up that statement with exact post you claim to have read.

I am not speaking on behalf of 17 million leavers maizie I'm speaking for myself and proud to be one of those 17 million.

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 19:55:02

Varian you have relentlessly commented on the education, intelligence ( lack of it) for two solid years.
Now you hold your hands up and say, not me gov!
Over 17 million voted for Leave, your reasons for describing them as poorly educated are simplistic and snobbish.
I imagine when we actually leave the EU next year you will have a meltdown.

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:56:28

suzied Tue 03-Jul-18 19:35:10
I don’t read the attacking each other nonsense and I don’t read cut n paste Wikipedia posts either and I’m guessing few people do.

No? But you do join in as we see below:

suzied Tue 03-Jul-18 18:56:41
I wonder if allyg thinks anyone reads her long Wikipedia pasted posts

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 19:57:36

For the originator of the expression "poorly educated, racist, thick" see

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 18:31:28

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:58:30

Lemongrove's post today at 18.31 to you varian

"poorly educated, racist, thick, these are just some of the epithets aimed at fellow GNers since the referendum from you. So do give it a rest".

Clearly, Lemongrove was referring to the nature and context of your posts varian. You really should take more care before accusing a poster of saying something that they haven't said.

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 20:01:02

Of course Varian knows that,just a deliberate attempt to turn things around.

Ooh, nearly at a 1000 posts! Wonder who will rush to get the last word? grin

No doubt a Remoaner will start a new thread to sob on.

MaizieD Tue 03-Jul-18 20:02:42

I am not speaking on behalf of 17 million leavers maizie I'm speaking for myself and proud to be one of those 17 million.

I didn't say you were, smileless. it's another poster that I was referring to. I thought I made that quite clear as I posted a snippet and her name.

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:03:02

I read your long Wikipedia posts Allygran and I manage to understand them as wellgrin.

And you didn't say Lemongrove was "the originator of the expression" poorly educated, racist, thick varian you accused her of referring to GN leavers in that way and she didn't.

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:03:10

Smileless2012 good post.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:04:07

Here is just one of many sources for the factual conclusion that low level of education was a strong predictor of voting leave.-

"A breakdown of EU referendum data has shown people with a lower education level were much more likely to vote for Brexit."

metro.co.uk/2017/02/07/if-you-voted-for-brexit-youre-not-going-to-like-this-6433145/?ito=cbshare

I don't know how many times we should need to explain that this is a statistical fact, relating to large numbers and trends. It says nothing about whether an individual leave voter was highly educated or poorly educated. It is not a slur, just an incontravertable research finding.

MaizieD Tue 03-Jul-18 20:06:05

Andrew Neil has posted this on twitter today:

Far from no deal being better than a bad deal, the May Government now telling Brexiteers that no deal is not an option and that if they don’t accept what they think a “bad” deal then UK likely won’t be leaving EU at all. Simples!

Yes, this Andrew Neil: @afneil
Chairman @Spectator, @Apollo_Magazine, ITP.com , Addison Club, BBC PRESENTER @daily_politics @bbcthisweek

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 20:07:04

.. and there you go again Varian ! Give it a rest before it wears you out.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:08:45

Glad to hear it. AN is of course a Tory (ex chairman of the Conservative Club at Glasgow University), but I am glad to hear that he does not appear to be one of the swivel-eyed right wing extremists who think they can call the shots.

mostlyharmless Tue 03-Jul-18 20:09:49

I don’t think you’ve understood the point smileless.
I don’t think anyone would deliberately vote against the NHS. Undermining the NHS is an unintended consequence of voting Leave.

A hard Brexit means that the NHS will not exist in its present form in the future because of future trade agreements that mean foreign countries (such as US) have to be allowed to tender for health contracts. WTO rules demand this. So the NHS will gradually be privatised.

A soft Brexit trade deal with the EU might prevent the privatisation scenario.

Anyway, there will be a severe shortage of medical staff after Brexit too as so many EU citizens work in the NHS and the care system.

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:11:37

It wasn't clear to me maizie because you opened your post with a reference to mine, made your point and then made reference to a post from Allygran. I wrongly it seems, thought you were referring to me.

Bridgeit Tue 03-Jul-18 20:11:52

Elderly voters (75yrs+) made up a substantial amount of Leavers, A certain little man stoked them up with patriotism & we won the war sentiment.

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 20:12:56

I knew she would whip them into her way of thinking,as she has always said we will be doing a deal.
Self interest will no doubt help any ultra Brexiteers MP’s toe the line.
Compromise on all sides was always the way to go, as we leave the EU.
After Friday, and the following week when the white paper is published, things will start moving along.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:16:02

Energy, the environment and climate change were barely mentioned during the EU referendum campaign, and Theresa May has since spent little time worrying about how Brexit will change things. One reason for this oversight is that energy and environment policies are often regarded on the international stage as “low politics” – technical and unimportant issues, compared to the wars and conflicts that represent the “high politics” of statecraft.

Yet the prime minister cannot avoid the environmental consequences of Brexit, as a new report from the House of Commons’ business, energy and industrial strategy committee illustrates.

The report, produced by a cross-party group of 12 MPs, points out the UK’s participation in the European Atomic Energy Community (Euratom) and EU energy market has generally been a success. But May’s insistence on leaving the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has major unintended consequences for nuclear power, while the committee also notes that Brexit has created investment uncertainty in the energy sector, and may lead to less ambition in UK climate change policy.

theconversation.com/three-unintended-consequences-of-brexit-for-uk-energy-and-climate-policy-77049

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:24:40

I see your point mostlyharmless and it's a much more mature approach to see any harm that may be done to the NHS as "an unintended consequence of voting leave" and not that those who voted leave simply don't care.

mostlyharmless Tue 03-Jul-18 20:30:35

It’s all so complicated that there will be lots of “unintended consequences”.

Bridgeit Tue 03-Jul-18 20:32:31

With 4 posts to go,
I would say a Gransnet debate was definitely an unintended consequence of Brexit,
Will you keep it going with a Consequences 2 Varian, ?there seems to be an appetite for it .

MaizieD Tue 03-Jul-18 20:34:40

I knew she would whip them into her way of thinking,as she has always said we will be doing a deal.

It's Tuesday, lemon, the Pyjama party isn't until Friday. 'She' hasn't whipped them into anything at all, yet.

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:35:42

I agree mostlyharmless and perhaps some of the unfortunate posts we've seen on the Brexit threads are one of those unintended consequencessmile.

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 20:35:50

Ah, but she will!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion