Gransnet forums

News & politics

Repeal the 8th

(232 Posts)
maryeliza54 Thu 24-May-18 09:47:06

I so hope they do - not only for themselves but also for the women in other countries who would be heartened by this in their own struggles for change.

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 22:05:26

Well this is going to be interesting - well done those supporting it across the house and especially PM and KB - and well done the speaker

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/northern-ireland-abortion-ban-latest-referendum-uk-government-stella-creasy-a8383331.html?amp&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

SueDonim Tue 29-May-18 13:59:13

No problem! It's easy to miss stuff when threads are busy.

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 13:47:52

Sorry Sue I missed that.

SueDonim Tue 29-May-18 13:24:50

Yes, I put a similar link earlier on. There are women in prison in S America for having had miscarriages or stillbirths!

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 13:00:06

www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/08/02/states_that_punish_pregnant_women_for_drinking_are_more_likely_to_restrict.html?via=gdpr-consent

Found this for starters

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 12:56:14

I think Sue that in the USA some States do have some laws like that - my guess would be that these would be the same states who have the death penalty and oppose any form of gun control - human life is SO sacred.

SueDonim Tue 29-May-18 12:43:55

I don't think anyone had addressed my earlier point about women who do things that jeopardise their pregnancy and baby, such as smoking, drinking, eating undesirable foods, taking drugs or taking part in hazardous activities. What do pro-lifers think of those women?

I really don't understand why anyone wants to make decisions on anyone else's behalf. It's no one else's body, no one else's baby. And let's face it, abortion has always been with us, since time immemorial. In Ireland the situation was that women with money could access abortion, women without could not.

nigglynellie Tue 29-May-18 11:27:48

(shrug!)

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 10:35:45

Ooohhhhh ab and nn here’s the smelling salts

nigglynellie Tue 29-May-18 10:29:49

Exactly annie, pointless indeed!! I totally take your point trisher, that is why I agree, rather reluctantly to be absolutely honest, to support abortion up to 12 weeks for a healthy baby/mother, with caveats for the unforeseen. For me, nothing to do with religion as I'm constantly on the fence with God!!

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 10:12:26

Pointless isn’t it niggly, if one says they dislike foul language the reply ‘report me’. I suppose It must be every day use for some so using it in company comes naturally .

trisher Tue 29-May-18 10:10:27

So for all those who oppose abortion and believe the baby has rights and is a sentient being. How do you think being nurtured in the body of a woman, who doesn't want a child, who has tried to procure an abortion, who has harmed herself and who is in a deep state of emotional distress, will affect that child? And when a baby is born to a mother who can't for any reason care for the child properly how do you think that child will prosper?
The ultimate aim of all birth control and of abortion is Every child a wanted child. And it seems far kinder to me to terminate a pregnancy than to subject a woman and a child to years of misery simply because you have some religious belief about the beginning of life.

nigglynellie Tue 29-May-18 09:38:14

As its obviously impossible for some to discuss this serious and emotive subject reasonably and rationally, I for one am not prepared to be shouted down, sworn at or generally 'put down' at putting forward any differing point of view merely for discussion, so, having made my position clear, I'm out of here!

TerriBull Tue 29-May-18 09:26:34

I can understand both side of the argument. However, I was glad for the women of Ireland that they got the result that so many of them craved for. I do believe many women there have suffered for years from not being able to get an abortion ,catholic church has had an iron grip on that country and has held them back in many ways. Certainly the young Indian dentist who lost her life because she couldn't have one,which sadly proved to be fatal for her, was probably the best example of why it will be a good thing when this new law is implemented. That together with the fact that so many Irish women, for many years have had to travel overseas to get a termination. One can never judge why a woman opts for an abortion there will always be a multitude of reasons. I contemplated one myself in my early 20s, when my contraception failed me and I became pregnant, as it happened I never had to face that decision as I had an early miscarriage. I imagine, being brought up a catholic, I would have suffered quite a bit of guilt if I had had gone through with a termination so it was a great relief to me at that time that I never had to make such a difficult choice. I won't say I grieved for the potential child but I do sometimes ponder on the person it might have become. It's not an easy decision, some women fall pregnant very easily in spite of taking precautions and some are impregnated without consent. As an individual I feel I can't judge other women on what they may consider a necessary choice, whatever their reasons,having once contemplated such a decision myself. Neither would I want to go head to head with a pro lifer, it is after all a very emotive subject and I can sometimes understand their stance, even if I don't support it.

paddyann Tue 29-May-18 09:21:59

Pot and Kettle Anniebach ?

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 09:21:18

Well it’s all over. More babies will die.

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 09:16:36

Ffs - you can report if you don’t like it ab And yes I do pass judgement - like you dont? Ffs. I actually couldn’t give a flying fig about whether some ( not all ) posters think I’m right or wrong - why should I?

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 09:13:15

Newmom you are not the forum police - I’ll carry on posting my opinions on and challenging anything I want whenever I want for as long as I want and yes I do believe that som people’s opinions are wrong and I’m fully entitled to that belief. Your post put up a straw dog argument and I’m fully entitled to say so.

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 09:12:51

Maryeliza, if you must use foul language in the guise of just use of initials do not use them when addressing me, I dislike vulgarity .

You are always passing judgement , always right, some do not think you are.

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 09:07:33

Ffs ab why are you using the word ‘inconvenient’ ? Where’s your evidence base - yes I do know that some women have more than one abortion but I don’t know WHY and I’m not a misogynist so I don’t assume it’s because of it being ‘ inconvenient’. Real life is messy you know, none of us is perfect - so even if a woman isn’t as responsible as you might think she should be that’s still no reason for taking away her bodily autonomy and punishing her by forcing her to bring the pregnancy to term is it? I would much rather abortion were never necessary but that’s never going to happen ever so the choice of a safe abortion should be available without our passing judgement on the (assumed )reasons for it

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 08:38:06

Some believe every woman who chooses to have an abortion is distressed, traumatised ,not so. For some A baby would be inconvenient so they get rid of it, some have several abortions.

All women are not victims .

Newmom101 Tue 29-May-18 08:12:23

Paddyann- Fortunately it is not many people advocating for abortions at any stage. But in recently searching repeal the 8th, I came across a thread over on mn where some posters were stating they supported abortion 'at any stage for any reason' as they are 'properly' pro-choice. It appears there are some people (a minority) who believe that to be truly pro-choice, that it was what you have to support and if you don't then you aren't really pro-choice, it's bonkers but there are some who hold that point of view. I would put a link here but not sure I can link to mn?

Maryeliza- I have a feeling that you believe anyone who's view differs from yours in wrong. And you will just argue until people agree with you. I have my point of view, you have yours, others have theirs and that's fine. You don't have to challenge everything.

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 07:34:37

Jal how do you judge I think the distinction between the expression of relief and jubilation. What should the Yes have done? The fight for repeal was hard won - we cantt begin to imagine what the supporters had to through - spat at and called baby murderers in there own communities fir decades - they have every right to celebrate.

maryeliza54 Tue 29-May-18 07:29:20

* Newmom* wow - best example of a straw dog argument I’ve seen for years - .utterly utterly ridiculous .

Oswin Tue 29-May-18 03:33:58

The women of ireland have every right to celebrate. I cried watching a crowd of women find out the news. The relief and emotion was enormous.
They can finally feel like they have some control over their own bodies.
Because it was not just abortion. It was medical treatment when pregnant too.
They can celebrate no longer being seen as silent imcubators.