Gransnet forums

News & politics

Countess of Wessex

(48 Posts)
Teetime Sun 27-May-18 09:28:18

I was wondering why this nice lady is a countess. She is married to a Prince and all the others seem to be Duchesses or a Princess (e.g.Princess Michael).

merlotgran Sun 27-May-18 09:33:53

Prince Edward will become the Duke of Edinburgh when Prince Philip dies so Sophie will then become a duchess and I presume their children will go up a notch as well.

Teetime Sun 27-May-18 09:35:34

Oh I see.

merlotgran Sun 27-May-18 09:44:49

I think Prince Philip has chosen the right successor. The D of E award scheme will be in safe hands as Sophie is a keen participant in charity events. Their daughter, Lady Louise, has taken up carriage driving which must be a delight to her grandfather who popularised the sport when he had to give up riding due to arthritis.

MawBroon Sun 27-May-18 09:47:57

Because Edward is Earl of Wessex, and the wife of an Earl is a Countess.
Why they didn’t choose to make him a Duke is beyond me. Youngest son perhaps?

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 09:57:01

He will be Duke of Edinburgh when his father dies,

nigglynellie Sun 27-May-18 10:11:44

Nothing to do with being 'youngest son' It is, as has been stated, so that P.E can succeed his father to the dukedom of Edinburgh when P.P dies. . If he were D of somewhere else, obviously this wouldn't be possible so he was created an Earl to tide him over so to speak!

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 10:26:43

Andrew had his grandfathers title, Anne the title for the first born daughter of the monarch ,

MawBroon Sun 27-May-18 10:58:10

I stand corrected Nigglynellie
Glad you have a handle on this as I was merely guessing (in ignorance)

annsixty Sun 27-May-18 11:02:27

I think the Countess of Wessex is a really beautiful woman who does far more than she is given credit for.
She is a real asset to the RF.

annsixty Sun 27-May-18 11:04:24

I am now wondering if she also has her own Coat of Arms.
This giving of titles and honours all smacks of Ruritania to me.

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 11:05:38

I agree Annsixty, she does draw the cameras so her work gets little publicity

Jane10 Sun 27-May-18 11:08:50

Yes, DH was very impressed with her work and the support she gave to a sporting organisation he was involved in. No scandal for her or massive press interest in what she's wearing. Nice woman.

SueDonim Sun 27-May-18 11:32:17

Sophie and the children were on the same flight as us, but a few rows in front, a while ago. They looked to be a lovely family and the children were impeccably behaved. She's so beautiful and her daughter is just like her!

sassenach512 Sun 27-May-18 14:09:15

Does anyone know why Sarah Ferguson is still titled the Duchess of York even though they divorced? What will she be if Andrew marries again?

Besstwishes Sun 27-May-18 14:18:01

Apparently she is Sarah Duchess of York, if Prince Andrew remarries his new wife will be HRH the Duchess of York.

So I guess that unless she remarries she keeps the title.

Jalima1108 Sun 27-May-18 14:29:48

She had to relinquish the HRH Sassenach but I suppose it is like continuing to call yourself Mrs Jones after you have divorced Mr Jones.

sassenach512 Sun 27-May-18 14:43:43

Thanks 'Grans' I knew somebody would have the answer smile

Jalima1108 Sun 27-May-18 14:50:17

Princess Michael of Kent's title puzzled me too but I think she is entitled 'Princess' because of her husband's title and not in her own right, ie she is not Princess Marie-Christine. Her husband, being the younger brother of the Duke is given the title Prince because he is a grandson of a King presumably.

merlotgran Sun 27-May-18 15:53:43

That's right, Jalima. The powers that be wanted Princess Diana to be Princess Charles when not referred to as the Princess of Wales but the public was having none of it!!

lemongrove Sun 27-May-18 15:59:49

Niggly grin I wouldn’t mind being a Countess to ‘tide me over’.....I may write to the Palace about this.

nigglynellie Sun 27-May-18 16:05:56

You have to be a Princess in your own right, i.e. Princess Anne, Princess Margaret, el al to use your christian name. A commoner can only become Princess 'husbands name'! i.e., Princess Michael. Meghan can call herself Princess Henry, Kate, Princess William, Sophie, Princess Edward and so on. I guess this is why they are given dukedoms on marriage, then they can become the Duchess of ? Children can become Princes/Princess's only if their father is a King/Prince, (if they choose to) but not if their father is a commoner, even though their mother is a Princess in her own right. Again, Princess Anne's children and Princess Margarets.

nigglynellie Sun 27-May-18 16:09:37

Not sure Lemon! I think, now I'm an old lady that I might get a bit confused to exactly who I was, and who I'm likely to be!!!! It's bad enough as it is!!!!!

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 16:09:51

Diana was not entitled to be .princess Diana, if not for extra titles for princes it would be Princess Charles, Princess Andrew, Princess Edward, Princess William, Princess Henry

Anniebach Sun 27-May-18 16:11:19

Sorry niggly, we posted about the same time ?