Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kim-Trump any thoughts?

(41 Posts)
suzied Tue 12-Jun-18 07:14:53

Anyone watching? Not sure I’d trust either of them, but hopefully this will have a positive outcome.

JenniferEccles Tue 12-Jun-18 18:05:49

Of course we have no idea how things will pan out in the future when someone so unpredictable as KJU is concerned, but surely the fact that he is talking to Trump and shaking his hand has got to be cause for cautious optimism.

Whatever anyone thinks of Donald Trump as a person we should surely credit him with at least getting this far. He has achieved more than Obama ever did after all.

Who would have imagined this meeting months ago when they were trading childish insults, while the whole world held its breath?

Jane10 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:15:35

It depends on what you think is progress and who benefits from it. Trump has been happily undoing most of the good that Obama did (and what he did was for the many not the few rich Republicans! )

Bridgeit Tue 12-Jun-18 19:19:29

So what are the answers , anyone got a better Idea?

varian Tue 12-Jun-18 19:21:43

A triumph for dictator Kim, making him appear equal to Trump and getting more concessions from the US that he could ever have hoped for.

In the contest of ridiculous hairstyles, it is slightly more difficult to decide who won.

Deedaa Tue 12-Jun-18 20:40:56

I noticed that when he spoke about it afterwards the first thing Trump said was " Everyone will be very impressed" which is really how he measures everything. Couldn't help wondering if everyone was very impressed when Chamberlain came back from his meeting with Hitler!

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 22:00:08

I was sat in the doctors surgery this morning with my 10 year old DGD (long story). We were listening to the news on the radio playing in the background and my DGD commented about the Trump/Kim meeting . She asked if this would mean the world would be more peaceful and wondered if there might be an assembly about it on Friday . An elderly lady sat behind us said “I do hope so dear, I do hope so” (she commented that the village school was very good, wasn’t it) and I had to say, she doesn’t go to “the village school” they didn’t want her. Sorry if off topic. But it seems relevant.

Baggs Tue 12-Jun-18 22:02:20

Thoughts? Yes. This: wait and see.

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 22:04:59

Well at the risk of being called “naive” yet again, I am ever hopeful .

grumppa Tue 12-Jun-18 22:24:52

Beyond the Fringe 1962: Peter Cook as Harold MacMillan reporting on a meeting with the West German Chancellor: "We exchanged many frank words in our respective languages."

Plus ça change......

absent Wed 13-Jun-18 05:05:33

Given how many time Kim Jong-un – and his father and his grandfather – have agreed to "denuclearise" North Korea and then failed to do so, I find it difficult to believe that things will be different this time. Trump is very keen to get the Nobel Peace Prize but I can't see this meeting justifying such an award. He also keen to be involved in establishing tourist hotels beside "North Korea's beautiful beaches". I am not very clear about the size of North Korea's tourist industry but would guess that it is not significant, but Trump is a) ignorant and b) a lousy businessman so that is unlikely to worry him. The whole thing is a complete farce.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 07:47:59

Let’s hope all you doubters and cynics are eating your words sometime soon. Speaking very naively wink I am still very hopeful.

maryeliza54 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:23:16

gilly I base my doubts and cynicism on the track record of the two men involved and the complete lack of detail in the document. But even if there more detail or a different president involved, I would still be sceptical as NK has form in this type of deal and in not delivering and I would still say wait and see.

pollyperkins Wed 13-Jun-18 09:34:16

Well I agree with Gilllybob -yes, wait and see by all means but at least its better than this time last year when KJU was firing off rockets , DT was threatening Fire &Fury and they were both insulting each other. I found it very frightening.

Fennel Wed 13-Jun-18 10:30:21

From yesterday's New York Times:
"Kim seems to have completely out-negotiated Trump, and it’s scary that Trump doesn’t seem to realize this. For now Trump has much less to show than past negotiators who hammered out deals with North Korea like the 1994 Agreed Framework, which completely froze the country’s plutonium program with a rigorous monitoring system."

pollyperkins Wed 13-Jun-18 10:38:33

Hmmm -well its typical of Trump that he wants everyone to admire and praise him! He will have convinced himself thats this the best deal ever. He won't like people saying he's been taken for a ride. He is the most vain and clueless president ever! But at least they didnt come to blows which is what I feared.