Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kim-Trump any thoughts?

(40 Posts)
Day6 Tue 12-Jun-18 10:01:50

My overriding thought is that it's quite amazing it's going to happen. Love him or loathe him ( is there any in between?) Trump has achieved something other American presidents have not.

Then I remember the players involved and am quite fearful that one or both will have a tantrum and it won't be long before they're both comparing the size of their bomb buttons again.

I hope I've got it wrong and they can reach an agreement which brings peaceful communication to N Korea and the rest of the world.

It remains to be seen if Trump can call himself peace-maker.

Jane10 Tue 12-Jun-18 09:55:27

I'm on a cruise which seems to be full of Americans. To our amazement most of them seem to be big fans of the tangerine one. We have been proudly told by apparently educated people that they don't watch or read the news or twitter, in fact have no source of information they 'just know' Trump is great. So sad. Scary too.

tanith Tue 12-Jun-18 09:50:41

I’m afraid that from what I’ve heard about this so called agreement so far all that’s been achieved is stroking of both their egos and not much else if something approaching peace between them happens I will be very surprised.

pollyperkins Tue 12-Jun-18 09:48:32

Im.hopeful too but worried he will change his mind. At the moment he is basking in glory -he likes to be liked. I think he's hopeful of a Nobel Peace Prize. But the least little thing will make him change his mind and go off in a huff as he did after the G7 meeting. He is so unpredictable,it's frightening.

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 09:40:28

Not naive Bluebelle just ever hopeful .

sodapop Tue 12-Jun-18 08:08:05

Sadly I have to agree BlueBelle Trump is looking for public approval and is burning his bridges with Europe.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Jun-18 08:03:20

Gillybob a lovely post but I find that such a naive thought
I m afraid I trust neither of them an inch I think each is looking for fame and applause Do we really think NKorea will just shut down all its nukes they have taken donkeys years to build because a crazy blond man who called him nasty names says so I think they will be seen to go along with it while it suits them
If it wasn’t so serious it could be a great comedy starring tweedle dum and tweedle Dee

suzied Tue 12-Jun-18 08:03:18

They’ve both got things to gain - Trump can show off that he’s brokered a big peace deal, and show off as the alpha male . Kim maybe can do something to improve the dire conditions inside his country if he can get sanctions lifted. Trump has shown disregard for agreements when it suits him , but hopefully they will both bask a bit in his very special bond.

Iam64 Tue 12-Jun-18 07:59:07

Trump has rubbished the alliances and agreements between European countries and the US after WW2. It was intended to prevent a megalomaniac to ruling a country with the attendant risks.
As he promised, he's bringing his dodgy business dealings into world politics. Dismiss and denigrate your closest allies and form some kind of alliance with a dictator. We have no idea what their agreement is, as always, Trump uses extravagant is simple language to describe his version. Maryeliza is right, it will be a good while before we know if whatever agreement is reached is to be upheld.

goose1964 Tue 12-Jun-18 07:57:48

He's not friends with Europe because they wouldn't play his games so he going to find some new ones

Nanabilly Tue 12-Jun-18 07:54:26

I think it's going to be good if it works well. If either of them go back on their word then it will be awful for everyone but especially so for politics which is in a bad enough state as it is, in fact the worst I've ever known it to be.
In the Daily Mail (online) yes I read the rubbish as it's like a kids comic some days , there is a piece about this titled the 2 world's worst haircuts and they have swapped their haircuts ,made me chuckle anyway!

maryeliza54 Tue 12-Jun-18 07:48:32

It will be a good while before we know if it will be worth the paper it’s written on with two such unpredictable men.

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 07:47:08

I’m not watching but I did get a news alert on my phone . I think it’s a brilliant step forward towards peace .

absent Tue 12-Jun-18 07:40:48

Seems unlikely.

suzied Tue 12-Jun-18 07:14:53

Anyone watching? Not sure I’d trust either of them, but hopefully this will have a positive outcome.