Gransnet forums

News & politics

If there was another EU referendum...

(1000 Posts)
Pollaidh Tue 03-Jul-18 18:13:46

Would those who voted Leave still do so? And why? I am genuinely trying to look outside my Remain bubble, but the logic of Leave still continues to elude me. I am asking Gransnet because apparently older people were most likely to vote to Leave.

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 18:21:08

Are you not an older voter then?
Is this a school homework project?

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:21:44

fHS go and play somewhere else

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 18:22:53

I often genuinely try to look outside my Leave bubble, but the logic of Remain still continues to elude me.

MaizieD Tue 03-Jul-18 18:46:11

Oh, a fine demonstration of the famed politeness of Leavers hmm

paddyann Tue 03-Jul-18 18:49:31

not THIS older voter or 62% of the people of Scotland ...we're all being dragged out against our will.Our economy is in real danger and our NHS will be severely understaffed with Brexit...but lets not worry about that...England will have the sovereignty ...that it always had...back !!Shame they are so narrow in their outlook they cant see what they've let the rest of us in for .

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:13:10

Oh dear lemon.... where angels fear and all that.

NanaandGrampy Tue 03-Jul-18 19:16:52

Haven't we done this to death?

Cindersdad Tue 03-Jul-18 19:25:37

As a committed REMAIN voter I have asked many LEAVE voters why and so far got no coherent answer. I agree that the referendum was based on lies and incompetences on both sides. However "Project Fear" though much derided does seem to be largely true.

Most of our trade is with the EU so risk the whole Economy on the vague hope of new trade deals elsewhere. Since the inception of project Brexit the pound has fallen, the NHS is floundering, Airbus has questioned its future in the UK, Foreign owned car plants also doubt their future here. How many more warnings from those at the sharp end does the government need to take notice.

Of course the referendum cannot simply be brushed aside but now it is better understood the people should be able able to think again. Theresa May is struggling to present a case for Brexit that is good for the country yet stubbornly refuses to even consider that staying in the EU (with all its faults) may just be the least bad option.

Support for UKIP has totally collapsed, Boris has been shown for what he is and other Tory Dogmatists put their own interests above those of the country. Do these known facts not indicate a national change of heart? As David Davis said "If a democracy cannot change its mind it ceases to be a democracy".

kittylester Tue 03-Jul-18 19:30:04

Paddy but what can be done?

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 19:35:53

A People's vote on the deal when the details are known with the option of Remaining in the EU

.https://www.peoples-vote.uk/

Cindersdad Tue 03-Jul-18 19:47:40

"varian" that is the only democratic answer but will the government allow it?

NfkDumpling Tue 03-Jul-18 20:09:25

As a committed LEAVE voter I’ve asked REMAIN voters why they wished to remain and it appears they are afraid of change and better the Devil you know and all that. They don’t actually LIKE being in the European Union.

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 20:15:37

grin

jura2 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:19:33

and how many millions of the. have you talked to, pray tell?!? What a ridiculous generalisation!

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:23:47

Unite says it is 'open to possibility' of 2nd Brexit referendum and Labour 'highly unlikely' to back May's deal – Politics live

www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/jul/03/brexit-business-says-government-indecision-leading-to-significant-slowdown-in-investment-politics-live

humptydumpty Tue 03-Jul-18 20:32:52

Not me NfkDumpling, I want to stay in the EU. I want to be free to move around Europe as and when I want. I want to be a citizen of Europe.

I started a similar thread not long ago and was very surprised by the number of posters who would vote the same way.

To my mind, neither viewpoint knew what to expect, but it is very difficult to see how leave voters can still be happy in the knowledge that, for example, their vote may lead to difficulties getting medicine for the NHS. How is that simply 'better the devil you know'?

jura2 Tue 03-Jul-18 20:41:58

Trump and Putins are the Devils, and we do know what they are capable of, for sure.

petra Tue 03-Jul-18 20:42:18

pollaidh
I truely believe that Europe as a trading block has had its day. And let's not forget the debt that countries are carrying and won't/can't pay back. The ECB can't sustain this.
It is estimated that 2030 90% of economic growth will come from outside Europe. Also, by 2030 60% of the so-called 'middle classes' will be in the Asia Pacific region.
I'm afraid it's time to abandon ship before we go down with it.

Welshwife Tue 03-Jul-18 20:56:10

I too love being European as well as British. I love the free movement and I know younger members of the family have enjoyed the travel freedom it has given them.
The EU has given us things such human rights and working directives giving maximum hours and holiday pay etc. It is nice to know there are better food standards than many other countries. There are all sorts of reasons and if you google something like what has the EU given me you will most likely find a list.

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Jul-18 21:03:26

Better food standards Welshwife? Have to spoken to many farmers? I for one would always buy British bacon. Our animal welfare standards are much better here IMO.

Welshwife Tue 03-Jul-18 21:28:51

Much better than USA or Australia where they inject hormones into the animals.
Bacon may well be better but is often filled with water which gives a horried white residue when cooking. Many EU countries do not have bacon as we know it.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 03-Jul-18 21:29:18

I agree that our standards are better than most PamelaJ1, but we will never continue to improve those of the rest of the EU from outside rather than from inside, and the same goes for any other changes that we think should happen. What Liam Fox seems to want is for us to get cheap food from the USA, where their standards of, for example chicken rearing, are such that they have to clean up the meat by washing it in bleach before they can eat it, so any shortfall that you may think there is in Europe looks insignificant by comparison! I too buy British bacon, preferably outdoor-reared, and also British milk and yoghurt.

I am proud to be European and am among the 62% of Scots voters who preferred to Remain.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 22:30:40

If you can manage to look outside your bubble Pollaidh, here's a thread on the subject:
1,000 posts should be plenty of answers in there for you smile
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1247797-Regret-it-Brexit

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 22:31:48

However, I cannot guarantee the age of the posters on that thread; some could be schoolchildren posing as adults hmm

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion