Gransnet forums

News & politics

If there was another EU referendum...

(1001 Posts)
Pollaidh Tue 03-Jul-18 18:13:46

Would those who voted Leave still do so? And why? I am genuinely trying to look outside my Remain bubble, but the logic of Leave still continues to elude me. I am asking Gransnet because apparently older people were most likely to vote to Leave.

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:15:47

Mostly are you always so cheerful?

mostlyharmless Mon 06-Aug-18 17:24:18

Well ally even the ardent Brexiteers like Mogg think it will be twenty years or so before Britain sees any benefit from Brexit. I hope to still be around, but I expect many Brexit voters on GN won’t be alive to enjoy their little victory.

MaizieD Mon 06-Aug-18 17:24:34

To want to overthrow a democratic vote, two democratic majority votes, through subversive, propaganda and self interest groups is nothing short of anarchist behaviour. Since none of the groups are representing a Political Party, merely self interest groups, they are not offering an alternative Government, they are not offering an alternative mandate at the next General Election,

It's not illegal, Ally, nor is it anti-democratic. To say that it is either is just perpetrating a lie. How very irresponsible of you when you have lots of simple people on here lapping up your every word..

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:27:39

crystaltipps we have never been an equal member of the EU. That is what the referendum was about. That is why we are leaving, because the EU would not even consider David Camerons suggestion's for reform.

Where have you been: "^How will This mythical new freedom be demonstrated ?^

Try, control of our borders, free market world trade, taking back laws unto our Statute, thereby regaining our Sovereignty, not having to pay a hugh membership fee and supporting the euro. That is just for starters.

If you want proof of a vice like grip as you put it, just take a look at the trouble we are having getting out of the EU!

Are you sure you live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? You actually said "Freedom" which means not a jot^". I can't believe anyone in this Country of your supposed age, could ever say that!!

Joelsnan Mon 06-Aug-18 17:28:46

crystaltips
We are not equal in Europe, nor are many other countries , those who study Europe see the inequalities that lie within.
We are a reasonably rich country however the poorer countries are nothing more than slave puppets, many unhappy with the drive by Germany and France towards Federalisation but anxious not to lose their subsidies so do not rock the boat.
Despite the fact that we have people living on the streets and visiting foodbanks we are one of the largest net contributors to EU. Many of the other countries donate very little and receive massive subsidies because their manufacturing costs are lower because they pay their workers so poorly with fewer welfare benefits. They will not rock the boat, but is this equal?
Please do a little research to understand that Eu is not an equal organisation.

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:30:56

Did I say it was illegal? I don't think so MaizieD. On the contrary Maizie, I am lapping up some very good post's from intelligent, well read, and balanced people, I have learned so much since I came on to GN.

You are a very clever player Maizie, but not quite good enough!

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 17:31:55

MaizieD you seem incapable of writing a post that doesn’t contain an insult to those who don’t agree with you.It doesn’t advance your case one bit.

Joelsnan Mon 06-Aug-18 17:33:16

MaizieD
How very irresponsible of you when you have lots of simple people on here lapping up your every word..

This comment crosses the line of offensiveness!

mostlyharmless Mon 06-Aug-18 17:34:16

Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit will be over the next fifty years”

Mogg doesn’t sound very optimistic does he?
You Brexiteers are going to have to be very patient........

youtu.be/My4UM_zCpk0

Bridgeit Mon 06-Aug-18 17:42:29

16 posts to go ( now 15) who is going to have the last word
Leave or Remain ?

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 17:44:28

Yup! MaizieD can certainly do offensive.

So many Remainers have great faith in the Mogg, very amusing.

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:44:31

It is not illegal Maizie, it is just amoral to use scaremongering, infiltration of opinion site's, misinformation, Fake News, and yes telling downright lies. Organised activist attempting to destabilise and overthrow a democratic vote, two democratic votes. As I said earlier:

To want to overthrow a democratic vote, two democratic majority votes, through subversive, propaganda and self interest groups is nothing short of anarchist behaviour. Since none of the groups are representing a Political Party, merely self interest groups, they are not offering an alternative Government, they are not offering an alternative mandate at the next General Election. I should have added, without that element of putting your political case to the test and standing for election on a over throw Brexit mandate, then activism is for the purpose of destabilisation. It will be interesting to see at the next GE if any party will stand on an overthrow Brexit mandate. They would self destruct as the Liberals did at the last GE.

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:46:06

Bridget only you could be bothered about who will be the last poster remain or leave!!

petra Mon 06-Aug-18 17:46:48

Greta
It's always wise to get your facts right on the politics thread.
You can be assured one of us will pick up a lie.

mostlyharmless Mon 06-Aug-18 17:47:05

What do you mean ally by we have never been an equal member of the EU.
You are ignoring the facts. UK has had a very good deal from the EU for the last forty odd years. We were allowed to opt out of the Euro membership and Thatcher negotiated membership rebates.

The UK, in European eyes, was already having its cake and eating it. As well as membership of the single market and the customs union, Britain enjoyed a formal opt-out from the euro (the only member state other than Denmark to do so) and the borderless Schengen Zone, a £5bn budget rebate and numerous home affairs opt-outs.

The great irony of Brexit, then, is that it is teaching the UK that it already had the best model: EU membership.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/06/brexiteers-are-discovering-uk-already-had-best-model-eu-membership

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:51:17

Don't you realise Maizie, that political systems do two things, they evolve or come about by revolution. We are in our revolution, and the changes will now start to evolve. Change is the most inevitable thing in life. We can embrace it or resist it. The main thing is we do it peaceable and in a controlled way. As we are seeing with our escape from the EU

MamaCaz Mon 06-Aug-18 17:52:28

Allygran1

It is not illegal Maizie, it is just amoral to use scaremongering, infiltration of opinion site's, misinformation, Fake News, and yes telling downright lies. Organised activist attempting to destabilise and overthrow a democratic vote

You mean like UKIP and other like-minded groups did over such a long period, which is what eventually led to the Brexit referendum?

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:55:27

Mostly we have had to fight for every single concession. We did not get the concessions we asked for through David Cameron hence we are not staying in the EU nor are we going to pay enormous membership fees, for what, regulations, controls loss of Sovereignty and restrictive practices in trade. You should direct your interrogation at the state of the EU, that will tell you everything you need to know about why we are leaving.

mostlyharmless Mon 06-Aug-18 17:55:50

OMG! I see you don’t agree with free speech now ally.
You said: It is not illegal Maizie, it is just amoral to use scaremongering, infiltration of opinion site's, misinformation, Fake News, and yes telling downright lies.

But that’s exactly what you are doing all the time ally. How dare you accuse Maizie of amorality - lacking morals. And Infiltrating opinion sites????
Maizie has been a member far longer than you ally.

None so blind.......

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:56:04

The UKIP vote was transferred, it was technical voting tactics and it worked.

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:58:12

Mostly are you now saying that maze uses scaremongering, infiltration of opinion site's misinformation, Fake News and tells downright lies? If you are then that is truly amoral.

I believe that you don't believe that therefore she is not amoral. Again, jumped into too quick without reading Mostly.

Bridgeit Mon 06-Aug-18 17:58:21

Well Allygran1, you would ask for proof of that, I just observed a fact & choose to comment on it.
I prefer to have a diverse outlook on all things, rather than view every thing in life through a very narrow perspective!

mostlyharmless Mon 06-Aug-18 17:59:08

You don’t have a very long memory ally. We have been negotiating with the EU for many years before Cameron’s time. Why don’t you know that? Where were you all those years? Very strange,
We have the best membership deal in the EU. Soon to be thrown away in a fit of pique.

mostlyharmless Mon 06-Aug-18 18:00:12

You are getting very confused ally.

Allygran1 Mon 06-Aug-18 18:00:26

Here we go, looking for the shock horror elements to distract from the real issues.

This is the most predictable and disappointing thing from some posters.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion