Gransnet forums

News & politics

Novichok yet again in Wiltshire!

(149 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 04-Jul-18 22:36:52

A couple in a critical condition, and Novichok used!

OldMeg Wed 04-Jul-18 22:40:35

Very odd or should I say очень странно.

MawBroon Wed 04-Jul-18 22:43:47

Given that Porton Down is nearby is it possible that there has either been unauthorised access or some leak?

Maggiemaybe Wed 04-Jul-18 22:46:43

Very worrying, lemongrove, and horrific for the poor couple affected.

lemongrove Wed 04-Jul-18 22:48:55

They are thinking that this couple may have found something left by the Skripals in the park or nearby, as this couple were in this very place.
How worrying for those who live there.

lemongrove Wed 04-Jul-18 22:49:36

They are saying that the Novichock nerve agent doesn’t degrade easily.

maryeliza54 Wed 04-Jul-18 23:15:30

They are saying......?Sounds like we need to wait for proper enquiry and evidence lemon

maryeliza54 Wed 04-Jul-18 23:16:37

And even then we won’t be told the truth because we are governed by liars, dissemblers, misleaders

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Jul-18 23:21:43

It was said by a chemical weapons expert on the news this evening that it takes about three months to degrade and disappear. Therefore it should have lost its potency by now if not completely inert - so where has this latest Novichok come from and is it linked?

MaizieD Wed 04-Jul-18 23:25:06

I have a theory but my lips are sealed because it involves the B word...

paddyann Thu 05-Jul-18 00:35:38

Mrs May finding something else to keep us occupied ..what IS she covering up this time /

Elrel Thu 05-Jul-18 01:20:25

Unbelievable

OldMeg Thu 05-Jul-18 06:42:18

Opens up all sorts of speculation doesn’t it? Including the possibility that this is a new, random episode and that perhaps someone or, more likely, an organisation has got hold of this agent and ‘the Russians’ were telling the truth first time and they really didn’t have anything to do with the first attack ???

kittylester Thu 05-Jul-18 07:15:07

I think they said on this morning's Breakfast that, if it had been in a closed container, then it could still have some potency. I hope that is the explanation.

Alternatively, Teresa May could be using it to detract attention! confused

Iam64 Thu 05-Jul-18 07:32:16

OldMeg - that was my first conspiracy theory. I dislike and distrust May and her government but poisoning people as a distraction seems more unlikely than my first conspiracy theory. Whatever it is, we have two very sick people in hospital, the NHS and the police again involved in a time consuming investigation alongside caring for the people involved

lemongrove Thu 05-Jul-18 07:51:35

Yes Maryeliza......they are saying, that is, people on tv,
As the news was breaking ( as opposed to opinions on GN)
That is why I said ‘they are saying’ rather than giving my own uninformed opinion as I ( and none of us on here )have any facts other than two people are in a bad way in hospital as a result of being in contact with Novichock nerve agent.

Jane10 Thu 05-Jul-18 07:55:45

Very sorry to read some of these posts. Immediate blaming it on Theresa May. Wish there was an 'ashamed of you' emoticon!

lemongrove Thu 05-Jul-18 07:59:56

Iam64
As you say, ‘poisoning people as a distraction seems more unlikely.....’ I should certainly say so!

suzied Thu 05-Jul-18 08:02:11

I’m sure it’s not some government conspiracy , but now seems less certain that it’s Russian government action. Maybe a rogue terrorist cell , whatever it is - it’s scary.

lemongrove Thu 05-Jul-18 08:09:31

Yes, Jane10 I agree, but this is a forum, and like all forums is full of all kinds of people, some of which seem to love wild conspiracy theories, no matter how preposterous and some who are prepared to believe that Mrs May is the same as Stalin or Putin. It’s tiresome, but there you are, it’s the way things are now.

sodapop Thu 05-Jul-18 08:28:11

That is so right lemongrove I hope some comments were in jest.

It is concerning how this second incident has come about, do we know anything about the two people involved ?

Blinko Thu 05-Jul-18 08:32:02

Porton Down, HMG, Russian connection, no Russian connection, secret pot of hitherto unopened nerve agent, terrorist cell..... As always, when we have exhausted the most likely explanations we start looking at the unlikely. There will be no quick answers, I fear.

OldMeg Thu 05-Jul-18 08:54:36

I seriously doubt that May is behind this, but (unless this is residual contamination from the first attack) then someone is.

Elegran Thu 05-Jul-18 09:04:11

Three months viability for the Novichok from March takes it to June, and if it were in a sealed container it could still be potent at the beginning of July. Perhaps the woman (who was first to fall ill) found it somewhere and opened it up to see what was in it, and the man became ill after contact with her.

I really don't think that Theresa May, or any other UK politician, would poison people as a distraction dodge! Apart from it being incredibly unBritish, there has been so much professional interest lately in Novichok that the chances are their involvement would be found out pretty soon.

GillT57 Thu 05-Jul-18 09:07:13

All the more reason to stay in Europe ( sorry!), this is not a time to isolate ourselves politically. Would be nice to hear what Trump says, he is meeting Putin soon.