Government resignations since autumn:
1 November 2017 - Fallon
8 November 2017 - Patel
20 December 2017 - Green
29 April 2018 - Rudd
8 January 2018 - Greening
8 July 2018 - Davis
There have been six resignations in 249 days. That’s one every six weeks

Just woken up to the news that the incompetent David Davis has resigned. Just as Brexit was all going so well? The useless Grayling should be next - how come he is still in post? Not to mention the awful foreign secretary. Interesting to watch develpments as the day wears on. The bookies and removal men will be busy.

MaizieD Mon 09-Jul-18 07:42:09

Oh, snap!
What shall we do, crystaltipps? Ask Gnet to amalgamate these threads?

(I like your OP grin)

Iam64 Mon 09-Jul-18 07:53:01

yes if its possible amalgamate the threads.

Interesting times indeed. Labour are just ahead of the tories in the polls. My favourite option would be a general election in which the LP stands on remaining. Sorry folks, I know that wouldn't be everyone's favourite option.
My main issue is the way the government is systematically destroying public services, particularly the Health service. Maybe if there is an election, that should be the main focus and B Brexit.
sorry, it's the heat that's finally getting to me.

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 08:00:50

Bulldog Brexit bites the dust?

Hands up those who know what I am talking about!

Iam64 Mon 09-Jul-18 08:14:09

I do MawBroon - best programme on the radio. Love it.

Iam64 Mon 09-Jul-18 08:14:48

Brexit Bulldog here Prime Minister. falling off the back of the truck I'm afraid. Don't send help, just watch your back. Over and out.

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 08:29:54

gringrin

mostlyharmless Mon 09-Jul-18 08:31:48

Will Boris go next?
He is in an awkward position.

MaizieD Mon 09-Jul-18 08:41:25

I'll just paste my OP and ask Gnet to remove my thread

So, Davis and Baker have resigned because they can't get behind the 'plan' produced at Friday's pyjama party at Chequers.

Commentators suggest that this could precipitate a vote of no confidence in Theresa May in a bid to oust her as Prime Minister. But are there enough 'Ultra' Brexiter MPs to vote her out?

If she survives where will she go next when the EU rejects her current proposal (as they will).?

If she falls who will be the next leader? If it's an Ultra will they have the support of Parliament and the country for the crash out Brexit they favour?

Will there be a snap General Election?

Will there be a 'People's Vote'?

Or will there just be chaos?

Interesting times

Blinko Mon 09-Jul-18 08:43:48

It seems that the business community wants the closest 'fit' with EU regulations to ensure frictionless movement of goods across borders. But purist Brexiteers it seems want a 'least fit' result, as anything like a 'fit' looks to them like a weak Brexit. We have a problem, Houston.... talk about irreconcilable differences!

Copied and pasted from Maisie D's thread.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Jul-18 08:44:16

I think your latter suggestion is the most likely.

What a shower!

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 08:56:03

What really gets to me and I am sure millions of others in Britain is that in a week when the younger generation of this country are demonstrating what they are capable of at the World cup, this shower of sh*t cannot even keep it together to support them and this country.

The egos of these Tories is beyond belief as all they can think of would seem to be their own self serving ambitions in obtaining her job. In that the country they are supposed to serve matters for nothing.

What a total and utter shambles of government to set before this country and especially its younger generation.

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 09:01:21

Incompetence seems to be regarded as acceptable at every level, not just politics.
Look at the “new railway timetables” shambles, the UC shambles, UKIP leadership and others.
One of my last conversations with Paw last year just a few hours before things turned dramatic was the Priti Patel shambles. Remember that? Hard to because there have been so many in between.
I could despair or in a futile attempt to raise half a smile, say bring on Gareth Southgate.
But seriously....

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 09:06:13

Yes Maw, perhaps we can agree on something for once, Gary Southgate for prime minister. grin

Good post Maw

varian Mon 09-Jul-18 10:34:08

The fact is that the fantasies of the brexiteers have been indulged to the tune of billions over the last two years at the expense of everything else.

There cannot possibly be a good outcome to something which was based on lies and is riddled with inherent contradictions.

Surely it is time to draw a line under this nonsense, start giving some consideration to the 48 million people in this country and many Brits abroad who did not vote leave and, for the sake of all of us, our children and grandchildren, admit that we will have a much better future if we remain members of the EU?

crystaltipps Mon 09-Jul-18 10:38:54

But the Torykippers will bang on about the will of the people even though it actually isn’t. It’s the will of the wealthy who will benefit from deregulation and making a mint on currency fluctuations. Davis had a taxpayer funded office with a huge staff and drinks cabinet but still couldn’t come up with a workable plan in two years.

mostlyharmless Mon 09-Jul-18 10:46:51

I don’t think David Davis is much of a loss. Number ten had taken over most of the negotiations anyway.
Dominic Raab is new Brexit Secretary. I think he’s a Brexiteer but perhaps not a hardline?

mostlyharmless Mon 09-Jul-18 10:47:58

Keir Starmer might make a better job of negotiating Brexit.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Jul-18 11:10:58

Dominic Raab - never 'eard of 'im. Presumably the hope is he will be a pawn.

MaizieD Mon 09-Jul-18 11:19:59

Whoever negotiates the EU aren't going to give in on Free Movement so it all seems a bit pointless...

crystaltipps Mon 09-Jul-18 11:21:05

They made that clear from day 1.

humptydumpty Mon 09-Jul-18 11:36:26

I agree about Keir Starmer but he's not going to be given the job as he's Labour...

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 11:45:50

It's being reported that Labour MPs are being invited to Downing Street. Who these Labour MPs have not been disclosed, but should this meeting come about it could mark a big moment in resolving this whole sorry tale.

Perhaps this indicates that much had gone on behind the scenes even prior to the weekend cabinet meeting.

Anniebach Mon 09-Jul-18 11:56:06

Labour MP’s or .labour MP’s in the shadow cabinet ?

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 12:08:07

Don't think that is known at the minute Annie?

However, Labour do seem to be very quiet through all the goings on this morning?