Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Christopher Meyer

(65 Posts)
Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 09:19:44

I have just read that Sir Christopher Meyer, has been brutally beaten up at a London station this morning and hospitalised. A man and a woman have been arrested. It can be no coincidence that he is a former British Ambassador to the US and the US President is about to visit us. Sir Christopher has always been a consummate diplomat and a voice of reason, and if this has been carried out as some sort of perverted protest, I am appalled and ashamed of the kind of country we are becoming.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:39:33

And - perhaps I shouldn't say this - but why has Sir Christopher been left in a state like this when any skilful pickpocket could probably relieve him of his wallet without him even noticing?

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:42:36

Don’t be so silly Jal of course I am concerned about the beating - as I would be with anyone - but it was cheap of the OP to link it straight away to the protests - imo she was making cheap inappropriate capital from this - she could simply have started a thread on how dreadful it was that he had been attacked - but she didn’t did she because she wants to have a pop at the protests. Cheap and nasty to use the attack like that.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:42:48

His face was very badly beaten but he was not beaten to a pulp - that implies his whole body not just his face, bad as that was. Beaten to a pulp can include broken ribs, a damaged liver or spleen, broken limbs.
so that's OK then

can include or may not necessarily.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:45:22

For heavens sake Jal haven’t you seen reports and photographs of other older people after they’ve been beaten up in the course of a robbery/ mugging gone wrong? Still looking for something to discredit the protesters - pathetic.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:46:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:49:05

And I never said it was OK - ridiculous stupid post. What’s the matter with you today? You’re usually a bit more sensible than this compared with some of your mates. Now I really am departing this stupid ridiculous thread and I’ll leave you all to finding a way to blame SK for it all

Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 17:51:55

but she didn’t did she because she wants to have a pop at the protests. Cheap and nasty to use the attack like that. Shame on me if it were true, but it isn’t.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:52:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:54:21

I'm not blaming SK or anyone for it. You really have a bee in your bonnet maryeliza

As for seeing reports and photographs of people - probably more than you'll ever know (and worse).

MawBroon Thu 12-Jul-18 17:55:33

Cheap and nasty to use the attack like that

I think it is extremely cheap and nasty to downplay the man’s injuries-he could easily have lost the sight of one eye- just because he was not sufficiently “beaten to a pulp.”
If he had been of an ethnic minority, the attack could (justifiably) have been deemed to be racist or a hate crime.
But white, middle class ...hmm
For all we know his photograph may have been known to his attackers or he may have spoken with an American accent or have been overheard referring to his time in Washington. Just surmising, but (thankfully) that level of attack is not your usual mugging especially not at Victoria Station in the mid-afternoon.
So hold with the passive aggressive sarcasm I’ve already seen the pictures thank you very much And the don't be silly Jal(ima) , and try perhaps to show some compassion?

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:55:36

and in RL too.

MawBroon Thu 12-Jul-18 17:56:58

Who is SK?

Jane10 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:57:06

My son was attacked and beaten up. He looked absolutely appalling. His whole head swelled up to twice its size, massive black eyes and a poor broken nose. I was incandescent with rage after the first awful shock. The dreaded call from the police at 3 in the morning. He was young. Goodness knows what poor Christopher Meyer looks like. I don't understand how anyone can make themselves do that to another person.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 17:58:42

Couldn't agree with you more Gd!

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:59:47

SK is Sadiq Khan - I think that he (or his department) sanctioned the flying of the Trump in a nappy balloon - because it is not against planning rules.

MawBroon Thu 12-Jul-18 18:03:32

Ah, thanks.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 18:13:45

Still looking for something to discredit the protesters - pathetic
I have not said one word about protesters confused

It was probably a random and very nasty attack but there is always a possibility that this was not a coincidence.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 19:21:17

maryeliza and Grandad43 have now teamed up grin
On this thread, and others.
Can the forum cope with that??

It doesn’t matter to them that Greyduster wasn’t blaming Corbyn or the unions.
GN gets crazier by the day.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 19:34:12

But white, middle class ...hmm
and an advisor to a Tory Prime Minister - unforgiveable sin!

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 19:34:18

What on earth has the Labour Party and unions have to do with the attack on this poor man?

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 19:36:51

Therefore even if these criminals are members of the Labour movement they are not in any way representative of any policy or condoned action of that movement.
It's a bit like the kind of headlines that shout:
P*****e C*****s Denies Taking Drugs

Of course, he probably didn't but you immediately think that perhaps he did!

So the perpetrators could be members of the Labour Party then, is that what you are trying to imply, Grandad?

That is very unfair of you.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 19:40:54

Perhaps the far left know things others don’t , never have trusted them, they are so aggressive

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 19:42:28

I didn't know that the Stop Trump Coalition was only open to Labour members

I really would have thought that a lot of women would want to join it.

eazybee Thu 12-Jul-18 19:54:32

I heard Sir Christopher Meyer talking recently on the radio about Trump's forthcoming visit to the UK, so it is possible he may have been identified by that.
Shameful attack, whoever perpetrated it.

Oldwoman70 Thu 12-Jul-18 20:03:09

If the protesters were planning a violent assault on someone why would they choose a retired former English diplomat?

As for the possible reasons put forward for the attack

He is English so wouldn't have spoken with an American accent, he was also travelling alone so it was unlikely he could have been overheard talking about his time in Washington.