Gransnet forums

News & politics

England Football Team.

(103 Posts)
Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:37:19

For over a month now the England team at the World Cup have held the nation enthralled by every aspect of their performance in the tournament. This young team went out to Russia with little expectation on them and very few fans prepared to travel with them for any number of reasons.

However, with each match ever more eyes turned towards those young lads as the whole mood of the UK was lifted by their achievements often as underdogs in what became a wonderful joint team and management effort. Even the defeat against Belgium could not deflate their enthusiasm and belief in themselves.

Of course, it all had to end eventually as experience eventually overcome enthusiasm, but what joy and entertainment they have given us all even in eventual defeat. They have made so many in Britain feel proud of our country.

It was a great pity however that this government could not stay together and come out fully supporting those lads as other governments have done.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:27:55

And I don’t have to seek validation from my dh. I stand on my own two feet on GN.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:32:13

maryeliza54, Anniebach is left of centre, she has a fifty-year membership of the Labour party, but never speaks a word in support of the entire movement.

Did not realise Lemogrove fell into the same category. She sure had me fooled there. hmm

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:33:08

You never know who your real friends are.confused

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:40:36

maryeliza54, our legal secretaries in the office often have a good laugh over the posts of " let us say some" on this forum. I have had to stop them responding themselves at times as they are not grannies or grandads I tell them.

But it often gives then some light distraction while they are waiting for reports etc to come through.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 14:55:22

Oh dear, not your office AGAIN Grandad!!! If you didn't laugh you'd cry lemon!!??

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:01:21

niggly your posts are increasingly bizarre - the heat getting to you? Why not go and have a lie down dear.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:08:39

No, Niggly not in the office today as some of us England supporters were hoping we would be celebrating. However, as you have stated you would not be interested in that, rather be running your country and those lads down on this forum.

I will say one thing for you Niggly, you certainly have the right forum name.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:12:56

Jiggly by name, Niggly by nature suppose maryeliza54. grin

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:14:51

Should be Niggly in the first word of the sentence above. hmm

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 15:15:08

Grandad1943, I quoted the BBC and I didn’t know supporters had to be in Russia,

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 15:19:26

How can a left of centre Labour Party member of over fifty years support a far left party leader who admires the politics of Venezuela.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:35:08

As I have stated to you before anniebach, Jeremy Corbyn is not the entire Labour movement. However, you have demonstrated in your past posts that you do not support the trade unions or the structure of the controlling elected NEC that leads the movement.

Therefore, Annie, I believe anyone is entitled to ask what it is in the Labour movement that you do support?

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 15:44:40

Grandad. I'm not interested in football! No doubt the best team will win, and that's fine by me. I don't think that I've said anything detrimental about the team or my country.
I am proud of our armed forces (UK) and I felt enormous pride at the 100 anniversary fly past. Perhaps that meant nothing to you, but why would that upset me! One person's pride is another's disinterest! So what ?!!

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 16:06:13

None so deaf as those who choose not to hear.

Grandad, I support trade unions, I do not support trade unions running a labour government as they did when they demanded Lord Robens kept his job and my village had to pay from the disaster fund to have the tips removed .

We were given the money back by the Blair Government.

I cannot forget this, some of those 116 children may have been posting on this forum now.

Do not bother me with your pride in union domination , I experienced their deceit when they had too much power.

Cherrytree59 Thu 12-Jul-18 16:12:10

I am proud of the Cave Heros.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 16:20:47

Grandad,why don't you just leave annie alone and stop your continual baiting/bullying! She's told you umpteen times her political position and her reasons for it so just butt out!
As for your cheap personal jibe, I couldn't give a toss, but just to jog your memory, it is against GN rules!

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 16:22:30

Me too, cherrytree!??

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 16:33:37

Anyone get the connection between Corbyn, Unions and the England Football Team?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Jul-18 16:47:40

I know that the England Football team have made my Sons and Grandsons very happy, uptill the Croatia match that is

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 16:55:05

In the middle is so much doom, gloom and negativity they’ve made me and mine very happy too GrannyGravy13

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:06:24

nigglynellie, in regard to your claim that I have "bullied" anniebach in this thread, if you look back through the posts you will witness that Annie entered the thread with a statement in regard to Scottish and Welsh support for the England team at the World cup to which I responded. Therefore there was no harassment or bullying of any kind in my action on responding to her.

However, Anniebach and yourself Niggly have both stated along with others that you are not interested in the topic of this thread in any way. Therefore that begs the question why you both clicked on this thread if it were not to once more "have a go at me" being a minority male on this forum.

The thread is clearly titled as a football topic with myself as the opening poster. In that, clearly, the actions of you and Annie give great credence to my assertion that you both have a sexist agenda in your approach to me on this forum.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 17:18:16

Then why did you bring Corbyn, Unions and my politics into this thread ? To quote you

‘This is clearly titled as a football topic’

Please don’t try. ?

youtu.be/hEN_Ya687oc

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 17:37:43

Anniebach I was responding to a post by maryeliza54 which has been now deleted (some on this forum love to dish it out but cannot take it back) that led to a reference to your politics. You have since kept up that theme when there was no need to do so.

However, that still does not account for why you entered this thread when you have clearly stated that you have no interest in the topic or the success in Russia of the England football team??

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 17:41:27

I joined the thread because I chose to, i do not owe you an explanation granddad1943

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 18:42:47

Honestly Grandad sexist agenda?!! Are you for real!!! Long before you joined Gransnet, it was as lively (nasty?!) if not more so, but nobody ever even at their most unpleasant accused anyone of being sexist, least of all annie, - it's just laughable! No one on here cares if you come from the other side of the moon! It's your patronizing , condescending attitude that rubs people up! Whether you're a man or a woman (you could be a child, how would we know?!)is neither here nor there! honestly! give me strength!!