Gransnet forums

News & politics

You can choose your friends....

(70 Posts)
Rosina Wed 18-Jul-18 10:47:39

I've just looked at the BBC News front page online and seen that Meghan Markle's sister is starting another rant, this time about their father, and saying that she will 'blame Meghan if he dies' (??) Also Mr. Markle is allegedly coming to this country 'without a royal appointment' and will try to see his daughter, and he doesn't care if she is 'p****d' off with him'. This will no doubt provoke much from the loyal band of RF bashers but can you imagine having this particular situation to deal with, in the glare of the media? This lovely sister must be absolutely raking it in with her articles, revelations and threats. What a charmer - wouldn't you just love her as a close relative?

Iam64 Fri 20-Jul-18 09:00:53

Good Morning nigglynellie smile

By the way many of our children and grandchildren have "half sisters". It's a very dated phrase and none of the young people I know use it, it's always "my sister" or 'my brother".

Anniebach Fri 20-Jul-18 09:20:17

protocol does not require bending of the knee to the Windsors , some choose to some do not , I certaintly would not.

I wonder about the health care the sister receives

nigglynellie Fri 20-Jul-18 09:44:40

I don't think they expect anyone to do that anymore annie particularly the younger royals. I read that H.M is perfectly happy with a handshake or a bob! or perhaps both!!! which could get confusing!!? Mind you Prince Andrew??!!!! he'd be lucky in the unlikely event!!!

eazybee Fri 20-Jul-18 09:55:19

Prince Charles was not prevented from marrying Camilla Shand; he dithered and didn't propose, she got tired of waiting and married Andrew Parker-Bowles instead.

Alexa Fri 20-Jul-18 10:01:23

The marriage is now a done thing. The inlaws are as they are. The best thing for all family members concerned is to honour each other as inlaws even when the said inlaws are not as socially accomplished as the married couple.

I am sure that the royal family can arrange for the inlaws to be brought into the family fold in some way that will satisfy them.

At the very least it's cruel to exclude family members from any recognition at all, as if they are dead.

Anniebach Fri 20-Jul-18 10:04:53

niggly, they don’t expect or ask for bending of knees, I think with queenie it’s different, it was explained to me that acknowledging queenie with a head bob or knee dip was acknowledging the crown.

merlotgran Fri 20-Jul-18 10:12:58

The 'suits' at the Palace will be advising Harry and Meghan to do what the Royals always do and keep schtum. This is the wisest thing to do as whatever they say or do will trigger a response from Meghan's family that will only make things worse.

Meghan is in for a bumpy ride unless they shut up and leave her alone.

Anniebach Fri 20-Jul-18 10:16:25

We are judging these people by what is said or not said, Megan’s mother is praised for her dignity because she hasn’t given an interview , she may be a very nice woman, she may have said to her daughter ‘go for it girl, get that ring on your finger ‘. Much is said about how lonely she seemed at the wedding, why was there no member of her blood family invited.

The father is reported to be a recluse, he was once a successful man, does he have mental health problems. The sister has M.S. has this affected her thinking.

The Americans are not like the British , no use expecting them to be.

Tweedle24 Fri 20-Jul-18 10:27:41

Nigglynellie, you are so right. It is no-one ele’s business. We only know what we read in the papers anyway.

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Jul-18 12:36:15

It must be very difficult for the Royals to know how to treat this family.

The relatives obviously think Meghan hit the jackpot by marrying into the British Royal family, and they want a piece of the action. The fact that they have been excluded has obviously incensed them hence their use of the media to hit back.

The sister seems deranged and angry but it's the father's behaviour which puzzles me.

Surely he can see that all these interviews with the press will only drive the daughter he professes to love further away. His comments though are priceless !

The Royals he says are 'asinine' for shunning him, and he can't understand why the Queen won't meet him, as he thinks he is nowhere near as bad as Donald Trump who of course did meet her. Tellingly he described Meghan as 'controlling' and as being someone 'who likes to be in charge'.

If the Royals continue to shun this family, then the interviews and outbursts presumably will continue.

There is no alternative though is there, as they have proven that they can't be trusted to behave properly.

In the meantime though as I said before it's very entertaining awaiting the next outburst from this awful lot!

Iam64 Fri 20-Jul-18 15:03:43

Alexa - it's cruel to sell your soul and confidential information about your daughter to the press. It's cruel (and unusual) to write a tell all book about your sister, in which you are cruel, unkind, malicious and mis spoking (get that, a US term) about her.

I do not believe that anyone is being shunned - I see it as Meghan wisely creating some emotional distance from family members who have demonstrated very clearly just how much they long to exploit her in order to feather their own nests.

Jaycee5 Fri 20-Jul-18 15:23:14

Iam64 I agree. I can't see that she can do anything else for her own mental health if nothing else.

Anniebach Fri 20-Jul-18 16:36:09

Not unheard of for people who feel they have been snubbed to commit murder.

Alexa Fri 20-Jul-18 18:35:10

Iam64, I did not know that.

However noblesse oblige. The strong have a duty to the weak.

Iam64 Sat 21-Jul-18 09:07:10

Parents have duties to their children which are life long. I haven't seen any suggestion that Meghan has in any way caused her father to behave in such a demeaning and humiliating way towards her.

Anniebach Sat 21-Jul-18 09:11:58

She may not have given him cause to be this angry , she may have, we know little of them. He wasn’t at her first wedding.

gillybob Sat 21-Jul-18 09:16:19

I agree with Lucky from 19/07 .
I feel sorry for MM’s family . Who could even try to compete with the firm? Maybe her father was afraid he would let her down or show her up in front of her maj and co. Maybe he was ( at the end) ordered to stay away ? We will never know. Poor man .

Alexa Sat 21-Jul-18 09:37:34

I agree with you Gillybob, as my sympathy is with this underdog. At the same time what can the Duchess possibly do to get her father to behave more rationally?

The Duchess's mother was a lesson in dignified acceptance. I didn't know how her father had misbehaved until Iam64 told me.Maybe he's less able to learn and apply wisdom than is the Duchess's mother.

Anniebach Sat 21-Jul-18 10:03:14

The mother didn’t have one member of her own family at the wedding. Strange that from two families only one person attended the wedding.

Does Megan choose to wipe out the first 36 years of her life ,