Gransnet forums

News & politics

You can choose your friends....

(70 Posts)
Rosina Wed 18-Jul-18 10:47:39

I've just looked at the BBC News front page online and seen that Meghan Markle's sister is starting another rant, this time about their father, and saying that she will 'blame Meghan if he dies' (??) Also Mr. Markle is allegedly coming to this country 'without a royal appointment' and will try to see his daughter, and he doesn't care if she is 'p****d' off with him'. This will no doubt provoke much from the loyal band of RF bashers but can you imagine having this particular situation to deal with, in the glare of the media? This lovely sister must be absolutely raking it in with her articles, revelations and threats. What a charmer - wouldn't you just love her as a close relative?

Alexa Thu 19-Jul-18 14:21:13

Meghan got herself out of her family's social class even before she became a duchess. Her mother is obviously clever and adaptable . It must be difficult for less able father and sister not to feel she has been disloyal to them. I think that it's a clear case for the duchess's minders to ameliorate the lives of her father and sister. They need some recognition whether they have earned it or not, especially the father.

Luckylegs9 Thu 19-Jul-18 15:31:21

I am glad she is not my Dil. Only her mother at the wedding, who was on her own, she looked lost. At the end of the day her father doted on her and was always there for her from the film I saw on her upbringing, he was shown as a pleasant guy, supporting her. Her wedding was show business, her expensive wardrobe, six changes in one day, all designer, says a lot. She should see him you only get one father, she owes him that. I feel sorry for the guy, how else can he get to see her?

Bridgeit Thu 19-Jul-18 15:52:34

There is no reason for RF bashers to say anything at all about this situation other than perhaps to offer empathy to MM, we are all an accident of birth, many people have to deal with less than desirable relatives with alterior motives!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 19-Jul-18 16:07:41

How much contact did she have with her family before Harry and are they now all trying to jump on the bandwagon. I feel really sorry for her having such a family.

NanaRayna Thu 19-Jul-18 16:48:48

Poor Meghan! Her mum seemed dignified and intelligent at the wedding.
Paddyann objects that it is awful for people to disown their family and background, but I'm all for it if the family are melodramatic liars and parasites, as this sister and father seem to be. Disown away Meghan, say I! You are better than that and have proved it repeatedly.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 17:05:45

How has she proved anything , we know little of her

JenniferEccles Thu 19-Jul-18 17:47:06

I feel sorry for the Royals. They must be wondering what on earth Harry was thinking bringing someone from this ghastly shower into the Royal family.

I guess Harry was just so besotted with the girl that he ignored any warning bells regarding her family. Unless of course, Meghan kept quiet about them, so Harry was in the dark about how awful they are.

Anyway, it's all wonderfully entertaining isn't it?!
What will the father say or do next?
Will the sister go ahead and write that 'tell all' book?
We probably won't have to wait long for the next Markle instalment!!

Marieeliz Thu 19-Jul-18 18:08:48

She is a half-sister not a sister. Did think it strange that the heart problem came up so close to the wedding. If I were Megan I would keep clear of them until they shut up.

The half sister is a big mouth.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 18:49:34

Megan lived with a celebrity chef for two years, the affair ended May 2016, she met Harry in June 2016.

Iam64 Thu 19-Jul-18 19:30:31

To use a common phrase, I'm camp Meghan in the Meghan - her family discussion.
Paddynan seems to have known a lot of unpleasant folks who have masqueraded as being in the SAS or similar, then disowned their families. Fantasising that you've been in the SAS or been hugely successful is usually something folks with personality disorders do. No one is suggesting Meghan fits that category - are they?

The suggestion that Harry shouldn't have continued his relationship with Meghan once he realised how difficult her family were going to be is daft.
Good luck to them I say. Plus, keep away from your family, except your mum Meghan, they're nightmares. It isn't your job to make it all alright for them - they're selling you right down the river. Having anything to do with them only gives them more ammunition to shoot at you. Horrible.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 19:56:48

I am not for either side, know only what is reported , the family certaintly are not as other families who marry into the Windsor family , lack dignity , but could be they have been badly hurt by a family member who wished to climb the social ladder, we don’t know.

Bridgeit Thu 19-Jul-18 20:25:24

JenniferEccles,that’s a very unkind & unpleasant post.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:25:39

I am Camp Meghan too Iam64 - and she was brought up by her mother who seems a very sensible woman - did her father not abandon her mother who brought Meghan up on her own?

'Relatives we've got whether we like them or not, friends they come and go' as the saying goes.

Be dignified, Meghan and ignore them - they really are not worth it.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:28:23

Harry should have kept his affections for someone whose family were least likely to out their heads above the parapet.
Easier said than done Gabriella - look what happened when his father was not allowed to marry the love of his life and had a bride chosen for him.

Legs55 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:37:45

Jalima1108 I totally agree with you. Her Half-Sister is a loud mouthed b****. MM's F was a recluse, can't see that he would have relished being in the limelight, Heart problems do seem to be an excuse maybe I'm wrong.

As for Harry & MM visiting her F, as he lives in Mexico this is a Security nightmare, perhaps they should have made the effort but we don't know the truth & after that interview with PM well words fail me.

Apparently RF offered assistance to MM's F but he dismissed any helpconfused

luluaugust Thu 19-Jul-18 20:58:04

The Royals do tend to cut out the in laws, or did in the past, only the Middletons seem to have managed so far.As they are in the US and Mexico I don't see how Meghan's family can be stopped from talking to whoever they want. I don't see how Harry and Meghan can just pop to Mexico. Very wisely I think they are doing the right thing in saying nothing in reply, I am sure they will continue to do so.

Anniebach Thu 19-Jul-18 21:06:59

I don’t think the royals have cut out in laws. Anne was very close to her first in laws, her son is named for her father in law . Fergie’s father wasn’t cut out,

luluaugust Thu 19-Jul-18 22:28:44

Maybe "cut out" is a bit strong but I was just thinking they must be one of the few families who don't have to discuss who is going where for Christmas, or certainly didn't in the recent past. Glad William managed to change that one a bit.

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 23:05:26

paddyann
I meant the mouthy sister and her father and brother (who wrote that awful letter to Harry)
I don't blame Meghan for distancing herself, if indeed that is what she's doing.
I don't doubt that if she REALLY wanted to, she would have contacted him well before now. The fact that, as far as we know, neither she nor Harry have made any effort to see him or invite him to stay is open to interpretation, depending on the views of individuals.
The more interviews he gives and the more he slags off the RF and says Meghan is under pressure and unhappy, the less likely is a rapprochement.
As a mature adult of 36, I expect that she will have considered the constraints this marriage confers and Harry and others on the Palace staff will have made sure that she understands protocol and avoids social media etc.
She's made her bed...
I can't get over Markle Snr telling Harry that he'd ' better not beat or lay a hand on Meghan', in the phone call when Harry asked for permussion to marry her. Unbelievable!!
That shows he has absolutely no perception of how to be mannerly.

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 23:06:35

*permission blush

paddyann Thu 19-Jul-18 23:56:49

or maybe she's already been in a relationship where that happened and her Dad cared enough to make sure it wont again...strange how we all see things and people differently .

I see, daily, on here Grans sounding off about AC who go NC...I see that doesn't apply when its someone marrying into the family who are the UK's biggest benefit recipients.Interesting!

nigglynellie Fri 20-Jul-18 06:24:59

I think that its their own personal business and nothing to do with anyone else! Who knows what goes on in any family? It's entirely up to them to do what they feel is for the best.

Madmartha Fri 20-Jul-18 07:34:19

What a thoroughly unpleasant family. All of them in cahoots with any media that will pay for their services. Would you really expect the couple to meet up with her father knowing that every word will be repeated for cash somewhere along the line? Normal families don’t make money out of each other however awful their actions might have been. To have your own family broadcast fibs and bile about you is just beyond the pale.

patriciageegee Fri 20-Jul-18 08:13:42

Call me a cynic but I can't believe one of the most powerful, media savvy families on the planet didn't check out the D of S's background before the marriage. PH is being portrayed like some dumb lovesick youth a bit on the daft side not a man who clearly knows his own mind and loves her (for better or worse). Our saintly royal family didn't get where they are today without treachery, intrigue, madness and worse in it's own background so all this hand wringing and worrying about the new Duchess's lot is amusing. Good luck to them and remember all GNs who are disparaging - protocol would require you would have to bend the knee to her, dodgy family and all.

nigglynellie Fri 20-Jul-18 08:57:04

It's their business not ours! Why on earth do we care about the credentials of someone else's family?!
Incidentally, paddyann the family of the P of W including his sons and grandchildren are supported by the Dutchy of Cornwall and their own private money, not the state! but, hey ho don't let the truth get in the way of a gripe!! Security? but then that applies to politicians etc both present and past even in dear old Scotland!