Gransnet forums

News & politics

Acid attack on a child

(107 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 22-Jul-18 13:09:08

This has terrified me. A 3 year old child has been the victim of an acid attack in Worcester. A 39 year old man in custody, three men caught on camera being traced by the police .

nanaK54 Mon 23-Jul-18 07:39:49

Pleased to hear that arrests have been made - hope they throw away the key

PamelaJ1 Mon 23-Jul-18 08:18:03

Ditto to all that has been said.
When will we get really long sentences for the perpetrators of these horrific crimes.
When charged and found guilty they will probably get about 5years.

Blinko Mon 23-Jul-18 08:27:43

It seems the man who was taken into custody first and also the child are from Wolverhampton. Three others arrested since are from London. We shall hear more, no doubt.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 08:31:59

Some locals have suggested the attack could be linked to a EDL march that was taking place, i so hope this is not so

Grandma70s Mon 23-Jul-18 08:34:36

The three others were arrested in London, but not necessarily from London. They were caught on camera at the time of the attack.

Iam64 Mon 23-Jul-18 08:56:43

I read the person arrested is under investigation for GBH. I wouldn't usually suggest changing laws but I wonder if a new charge is needed for the growing number of acid attacks. These attacks are always life threatening and life changing. Victims often need to continue to wear face masks etc to reduce pain. It feels more like attempted murder than gbh but maybe a new crime needs to be introduced which carries life sentences.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 09:08:49

There is an increase in these attacks , I agree it should be attempted murder charge

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 10:41:58

It was just reported there is no link between the EDL march and attack on the child.

gillybob Mon 23-Jul-18 10:50:39

I agree with Iam64 that a new crime should be introduced regarding these horrendous acid attacks. What sort of person could do this to a child? How sick would you have to be to do this to anyone never mind a small child?

sodapop Mon 23-Jul-18 13:17:31

Nothing more to be said really, an horrific crime perpetrated apparently by 4 adults on a three year old child. There can be no extenuating circumstances.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Jul-18 13:24:49

A GBH charge just doesn't seem adequate, does it? This would have been sickening.enough if carried out by just one evil person, but it's so much worse if several actually conspired to do it.

Bathsheba Mon 23-Jul-18 15:34:15

So sickened by this, so frightened by it too. Our world is such a terrible place, where it seems there are no depths to which people will not stoop. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. A three year old child, for the love of God! An innocent, who hasn't even begun to understand the true meaning of right and wrong, who cannot possibly be held responsible for anyone's grievance. My heart breaks for that poor, poor boy and his family.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 15:53:08

It frightened me Bathsheba, not a red rage attack, planned, took the liquid into the store found the little one in his pushchair and sprayed him , this surely could only be hatred/revenge .

Panache Mon 23-Jul-18 16:01:58

The country truly needs to sit up and take heed as these types of crimes are on the up,whilst surely choosing an innocent young child in a push chair speaks of the lowest of the low.
We need suitable punishments so there are no repeats and no more hideous acts of such barbarity.
It truly sickens those of us who value life and limb,like to live in a decent way,without such fear and apprehension nowadays even simply visiting the local corner shop.
This has to end.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 16:23:07

Can a new law be brought in before those guilty of this crime face trial

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 16:34:31

You're joking Annie - they're going on their holidays soon.
Up in Newcastle today btw.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 16:46:34

If charged they wil not stand trial immediately, could take months, the house returns 4th September

TerriBull Mon 23-Jul-18 16:53:20

I do hope the little boy is recovering from such a horrible experience. Glad to hear arrests have been made, how could these cowards do such an awful thing to a young, innocent child under the guise of a twisted revenge attack angry The law needs to be updated swiftly to deal with this increasing mode of violence leaving victims with life changing injuries.

Agus Mon 23-Jul-18 17:16:20

Yes, the law has to be changed and I make no apology when saying I would be the first in line to administer a lethal injection into these subhuman b’ s.

I am against capital punishment per say but with clear evidence of the perpetrators available, humanity would be well rid of them.

Agus Mon 23-Jul-18 17:22:50

Per se

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 17:52:30

Why not attempted murder? The attack could have killed the child, highly improbable but still possible.

Panache Mon 23-Jul-18 18:25:42

Such an attack must surely be classed as attempted murder,what other way can it be classed?
This was premeditated and could have killed,we need to come down hard on these perpetrators so that they know what will happen IF and WHEN they get caught.
These sentences need stiff sentencing,and quite frankly these cases we now hear of truly questions whether Capital punishment was not brought back................something has to change........drastically.
Every day there is another sickening element of torture,maiming,brutality making the list one of true horror.
What is happening to this country that we used to proudly call Great Britain???

knickas63 Tue 24-Jul-18 13:28:22

The life forms that did this are a waste of good air! They need the same treatment back - or worse! Apparently it is now believed to be a Domestic Incident. I did wonder when they said a 39 year old man was arrested for conspiracy - as in -he put them up to it. All 4 of them should be as severely punished as is possible.

Anniebach Tue 24-Jul-18 14:04:03

There seems to be a blanket ban on the reporting , usually tv cameras are outside the house of the victim, interviewing eye witnesses and neighbours of the victim.

Anniebach Tue 24-Jul-18 14:06:36

We cannot have the death penalty back, it’s ok to say if there is proof but the innocent people who were hanged were all sentenced on proof given to the court.