Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees-Mogg

(81 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 07-Aug-18 08:07:58

JRM's house has been attacked by vandals with offensive graffiti sprayed on windows and his wife's car. Condoms and a sex toy were also scattered around. Whilst this could be classed as minor damage it worries me that his property was attacked simply because of his political views. (I would feel the same if the attack was on someone from the other side of the political divide)

Surprisingly this attack on a sitting MPs property has not been reported on local BBC radio station and was only given around 30 seconds on local BBC TV news.

Eglantine21 Tue 07-Aug-18 08:11:36

Or someone might feel strongly about the number of children he’s bringing into the world. People with environmental concerns?

Oldwoman70 Tue 07-Aug-18 08:13:51

Why would that give them the right to vandalise his property? One part of the graffiti said he should "shut up and die".

Eglantine21 Tue 07-Aug-18 08:15:20

No, of course it doesn’t. Just thought it might be something more than plain politics.

crystaltipps Tue 07-Aug-18 08:19:00

Vandalism, harassment and hate directed at anyone and their family is abhorrent and perpetrators should be persued and given exemplary long sentences. I wouldn’t think anyone would have a problem with that. It’s terrorism plain and simple. The sort of action that led to Jo Cox,s murder and has led to certain public figures having to have police protection.

Anniebach Tue 07-Aug-18 08:21:30

Some political activist scum. They hung condoms from a cross , sprayed ‘posh scum’ and ‘politics death’

This is politics now.

lemongrove Tue 07-Aug-18 08:30:01

Yes, sounds like it Annie ....not just run of the mill idiotic teenagers.

Anniebach Tue 07-Aug-18 08:40:29

lemon, no windows broken, a cross because he is a Christian, condoms because of his views on birth control, posh scum because the thugs hate anyone of wealth.

No matter he has small children who could be badly affected by this.

Political thugs

lemongrove Tue 07-Aug-18 08:42:46

I think a few MP’s have had this sort of thing now, either their homes or office targeted.
A sign of the times?

Anniebach Tue 07-Aug-18 08:55:00

Angela Eagle had a brick through the window of her offices because she supported the no confidence vote in Corbyn .

Ruth Smeeth had to have a body guard when she attended the party conference last year.

gillybob Tue 07-Aug-18 09:04:54

You’re right Annie they are just vile thugs . Whatever you think of JRM’s political views there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour .....and as you say he has small children who will be effected too .

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:23:22

Disgusting behaviour, no matter what side of politics you support or represent.

The thing that worries me is what goes on in these thugs heads to think that this behaviour is acceptable, what will they do next and to whom, just because they have differing political views.

Oldwoman70 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:27:15

I also wonder at the thought processes of the vandals as they chose to do it when he was out of the country (too cowardly to face him?) - so he wouldn't actually see it and neither thankfully will his children It was discovered by a female employee I believe.

I am aware that politicians from all parties have been attacked in some form or other for expressing views extremists disagree with. I think it is something which must be clamped down on or we put democracy itself at risk.

trisher Tue 07-Aug-18 09:43:03

Of course it's not right but neither is the press coveraage which is reporting this as damage by "far left thugs" but they spray painted anarchist signs. Anarchists are not 'left wing.' they are anarchists.
His maid found the mess. And presumably cleaned it all up for him.

Anniebach Tue 07-Aug-18 09:54:06

A maid? 2018 and there are still maids? Shocking and worthy of a jibe .

Good grief, chauffeurs will be driving their employers cars next.

I am sure he will have a firm brought in to clear it up, oh dear that would be wrong wouldn’t it

Greta Tue 07-Aug-18 09:56:05

Thugs have always existed but it is the length at which they are now willing to go that is mindboggling. How can they think their actions are justified? I doubt they will get long sentences though even if they are identified; a pat on the back and "don't do it again is more likely".

AlieOxon Tue 07-Aug-18 09:57:54

Can't stand the man, but this is wrong.
However a blaze of publicity would incite copycat action, so I think it's good that any news was restrained.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:00:13

What a nasty, sour little post trisher - you seem to be losing sight of what is decent in your hatred of Jacob Rees-Mogg.

The thugs who did this need to be found and brought to justice, as do all who attack our elected MPs of whichever party. They are attacking democracy.

Oldwoman70 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:00:14

and only "anarchists" would use the anarchist sign - perhaps someone wanting anarchists blamed used it or someone who wanted to disguise their true political leanings?

Anniebach Tue 07-Aug-18 10:04:08

trisher, you missed a pot shot at his nanny and his gardener

The sadness in you post is your contempt for the maid.

eazybee Tue 07-Aug-18 10:12:02

Disgusting, indefensible behaviour by whoever perpetrated it and against whom.

kittylester Tue 07-Aug-18 10:12:21

I'd get someone else to clear up that mess too. It would be terribly depressing (at least!) to have people do that to your home without having to be the one to clean it up!

trisher Tue 07-Aug-18 10:14:02

Not contempt for the maid Annie who after all was the one who found the disturbing mess and had to clean it up, so I thought she deserved a mention. A lot of sympathy for JRM and none for his staff who dealt with this.
Oldwoman70 do you think it is possibly someone from the right then, either seeking to keep JRM in the public eye or eliciting sympathy for him?
I think we sometimes forget that the rich may be upset by things like this but they can afford to use their money to make sure they are insulated a little. Others who can't afford this luxury simply get on with it by themselves.
Of course it's wrong but let's not go over the top feeling sorry for JRM and let's give a little sympathy and appreciation to his staff.

trisher Tue 07-Aug-18 10:18:29

And about the anarchists I hate the way modern language is devalued by the press. Anarchism is a valid political stance, the problem is that many now don't understand the word, so it's much easier to say 'left-wing'.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:18:47

hmm