Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson's Latest 'Gaff'

(660 Posts)
Lyndiloo Wed 08-Aug-18 01:26:36

Is it just me?

Watching the tv tonight and noting the 'shock-horror' over Boris Johnson's refusal to apologise for saying that women wearing the burka look like letter-boxes.

Why all the fuss? I'm sick of the media snatching odd, trivial comments and making mountains out of them! (Haven't we got more things to worry about than this?)

Yes, I suppose that comment was a bit rude. But a sacking offence? I think not.

In his defence, in his article in the The Daily Telegraph, Mr. Johnson did not support Denmark's new face-covering ban. And all this talk about him being 'Islamophobic' is completely groundless. So, he said something, publicly, that could be considered 'insensitive' by some.

But why are we all so quick nowadays to be offended by throw-away, silly, comments?

Get a life! (Or some more important news!)

nigglynellie Wed 08-Aug-18 10:55:05

I'm amazed at some of the posts on here which seem to suggest that these remarks 'pillar box, bank robber' are just off the cuff throw away comments! Personal comments add absolutely nothing to serious debate, so why make them except in order to create a furore and be offensive? This was no gaffe from a senior experienced politician! It was a calculated comment said for the maximum effect. Boris is a total disgrace and a snake in the grass. He should be kicked out of the party before he brings it down, which of course he hopes to do and then present himself as its saviour! Awful man!

Riverwalk Wed 08-Aug-18 10:57:48

I remember the daft sight of a group of Muslim ladies sitting outside a McDonald's trying to stuff Big Macs and fries up under their face veils. Major culture clash!?

Oh, Jane that sounds so spiteful! sad

What's daft about a group of women eating burgers whilst wearing a veil - I bet they were doing no harm to you and sitting quietly minding their own business.

What culture does one have to be for it not to clash with eating a MacDonalds?

Anniebach Wed 08-Aug-18 11:04:08

I haven’t seen a Muslim lady. Eating a burger , I haven’t seen a Muslim lady vomiting on the street after a night on the drink or lying on the pavement with knickers in full view.

RosieLeah Wed 08-Aug-18 11:16:56

A face which is covered implies hostility and secrecy. Wear the burqa by all means, (although a terrorist could carry a small arsenal under one), but leave the face uncovered. Johnson's remark was rather tactless but nevertheless true.

goldengirl Wed 08-Aug-18 11:17:17

When I was in Saudi I had to dress 'appropriately' - not veiled but calf or long length dresses/skirts and my arms covered. I didn't have to wear anything on my head. However I was not allowed to swim and I had to ride in the back seat of the car. This was some years ago I must admit but I doubt whether too much has changed though I believe that women can now drive. It came across as a male dominated society.
Whilst I think Boris' words are rather crass there is an element of 'when in Rome' that could be put into the mix!

Grandad1943 Wed 08-Aug-18 12:01:25

I have to agree with Bridgeits post above on this matter. Just returning from three days in London it would seem that the Niqab and Burka headdress are becoming more prevalent in our society especially in the capital. The wearing of this covering always leaves me feeling somewhat unsettled as I feel those wearing these clothes can see all my facial expressions and features while I am not allowed to see any of theirs.

Britain is thankfully a very open society with facial expression being at the very centre of personal openness. Therefore I find the covering of any persons face offensive as they are in many ways seeing the thoughts of others in their facial expressions while at the same time others cannot read any thoughts in theirs

The wearing of these headdresses in our society undoubtedly needs discussion I believe. However, name calling and personal derogatory remarks achieve nothing in what should be a forthright but respectful discussion. It should also be remembered that women wearing such dress may not always be doing so entirely of their own volition. It may well be that they come from households that encompass certain strict Islamic belief. Therefore, in what is a very male-dominated religion, the pressure to wear such dress could be "very dominant" I feel.

Therefore, I believe that Boris Johnson was very wrong in the way he addressed this matter, but right in that this subject should be raised and addressed.

nigglynellie Wed 08-Aug-18 12:02:20

Boris was mischief making it's as simple as that! In truth probably best ignored but of course that's not possible the media would never allow it!!
Having an adult meaningful, spirited conversation is fine, name calling is childish and spiteful. In Boris's case - hidden agenda is alive and well.

JenniferEccles Wed 08-Aug-18 12:06:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cold Wed 08-Aug-18 12:27:28

It is just rude and spiteful for Boris to make these comments. Why can't people just be respectful about other people's religions these day? Imagine the outcry if a Muslim politician made similar comments about Christian Nuns.

As a professional journalist Boris knows exactly what he is doing when he makes these comments. Boris is now involved with Trump's former aid, Steve Bannon so I expect we are going to see an increase in an increase in anti-Muslim remarks to stir up racial division.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Aug-18 12:40:26

We still have free speech in the UK, but it comes with a price of taking responsibility for what you have said. Tolerance all round, and a couple of deep breaths needed.

This is not news worthy, just a slow news day.

Blinko Wed 08-Aug-18 12:43:19

I think there's a danger of confusing a religious requirement with a cultural custom. As we understand it, the burka or niqab is not a religious requirement. The desire to wear this clothing is not widely understood and as Grandad43 says, covering ones face goes against Western values.

Good point about Nuns, however they do not cover their faces.

nigglynellie Wed 08-Aug-18 12:47:08

Why do you think the sight of Muslim ladies struggling to eat burghers hysterically funny J.E? Walking coffins!! What a warped unkind sense of humour you must have. Concern might have been more appropriate, if you have to think anything at all.
I entirely agree with your comments Cold and yours Grandad! ( there's always a first time for everything!!) and yours too annie, but then you always show a lot of common sense, which is always refreshing?

mcem Wed 08-Aug-18 12:49:45

Carefully contrived remarks to a) gain publicity and b) appeal to the 'grass-roots tories'.

Luckygirl Wed 08-Aug-18 12:59:22

He's allowed his opinion - he is allowed to voice it in this country of free speech.

I too find the burqa intimidating and inappropriate in our society. There are situations (e.g. in court) where I think it is reasonable for them to be banned. I would also say in schools.

I remember being very scared of the nun's at my school -I thought they had no feet!

The philosophy behind the burqa with all its implications of female as dangerous temptress and male as unable to control their urges is not one I can subscribe to. Nor the sense of male ownership of women.

Luckygirl Wed 08-Aug-18 13:00:26

I apologise for the grocer's apostrophe above!! grin

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Aug-18 13:13:50

I think he is making a leadership bid.
He was asked to apologise by Mrs May, by refusing to do so he is painting Mrs May as a weak leader and appealing to grass roots Tories to let him take over.

Jane10 Wed 08-Aug-18 13:21:51

My posting about the Muslim women eating burgers under their face veils illustrated the clash of Western culture with Middle Eastern. It wasn't meant to be spiteful just illustrative. Their right to wear such things - my right to find it comical.

Anniebach Wed 08-Aug-18 13:31:26

There is thread here about traevellers, what are western values What is British openness.

We can speak to people face to face, we do not know their thoughts, just as well at times

gillybob Wed 08-Aug-18 13:49:14

You really need to hear or read the full piece before jumping to conclusions instead of just the two lines reported in the news today. He actually defended their right to wear such clothing. I happen to agree with most of what he said.

nigglynellie Wed 08-Aug-18 14:06:22

I think it's sad that you find ladies in burka's having difficulty eating comical Jane10. If they were forced to wear this mode of dressing, then it should be pity we should feel, if it's their own choice then so be it. Either way I don't think I'd find it comical, anymore than I'd call them names. Surely no one calls them walking coffins? that's just dreadful!

Jane10 Wed 08-Aug-18 14:11:53

Many of these are choosing to dress like this. I also found it comical to see a schoolgirl in uniform at my bus stop bursting out of a low cut top and teeny mini skirt but with her hair 'modestly' covered.
Cultural confusion made manifest.

nigglynellie Wed 08-Aug-18 14:13:01

It's the name calling that people have an issue with gillybob, not the article as such or any serious discussion. It might be Boris's opinion but why put it in print for public consumption? It added nothing intelligent to his piece, but caused offence as he knew it would. Now why would he want to do that?!!!!!

Anniebach Wed 08-Aug-18 14:18:06

I agree niggly, he is a journalist, he knows how to choose words .

Freedom of speech allows us to say we do not find this dress suitable, comparing the women with post box or robber is an insult

Lyndiloo Wed 08-Aug-18 14:22:56

The BBC is still on about it today!

Personally, I find the burka a bit frightening. I hate seeing just someone's eyes. It blocks all social contact, somehow. (Am I right in thinking that you cannot wear a burka in a court of law, or if you are a teacher ...?) Presumably, because this apparel makes communication very difficult - almost impossible, when you can't see someone's facial expressions.

What would we feel, I wonder, if it became the fashion for young men (or women, for that matter) to wear army-type balaclavers all the time? Very scary! (Hoodies were bad enough!)

Jane10 Wed 08-Aug-18 14:30:33

Good point Lindiloo. Men in full face balaclavas are frightening but somehow we're supposed to think it's OK for women.