Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson's Latest 'Gaff'

(660 Posts)
Lyndiloo Wed 08-Aug-18 01:26:36

Is it just me?

Watching the tv tonight and noting the 'shock-horror' over Boris Johnson's refusal to apologise for saying that women wearing the burka look like letter-boxes.

Why all the fuss? I'm sick of the media snatching odd, trivial comments and making mountains out of them! (Haven't we got more things to worry about than this?)

Yes, I suppose that comment was a bit rude. But a sacking offence? I think not.

In his defence, in his article in the The Daily Telegraph, Mr. Johnson did not support Denmark's new face-covering ban. And all this talk about him being 'Islamophobic' is completely groundless. So, he said something, publicly, that could be considered 'insensitive' by some.

But why are we all so quick nowadays to be offended by throw-away, silly, comments?

Get a life! (Or some more important news!)

Joelsnan Mon 20-Aug-18 12:57:35

oldbatty
It would be interesting to hear what propoganda led you to consider those who choose the burqua to be different to you.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 14:31:03

I give up. Maybe some people reading this lengthy thread will understand what I have been trying to say.

We are all soaking up information, especially in the digital age. Images of black , cloaked figures with their faces covered are not a positive thing. See page 4 of this thread for an image.

Little by little it seeps into our minds that people are different, perhaps to be feared or avoided.
Its wrong, young children don't appear to do it but adults make assumptions.
As I say, really I have tried to put forward my ideas but now its time to withdraw from the debate.

Chewbacca Mon 20-Aug-18 15:57:55

It has indeed been pointed out, again and again and again, that the dislike of the burka and the niqab is nothing to do with colour or race or religion. It is everything to do with the garment itself. I posted this exact statement:

^Chewbacca 12.08 12.08.2018*

PS Many of the niqab wearing women are British

I don't think it's the nationality of the person wearing the burka or niqab that's causing the furore. It's the garment itself which so many are unhappy to see.

But it is, apparently, perfectly acceptable to post discriminatory remarks about "some fat, blonde Bullington boy". I repeat: double standards.

varian Thu 23-Aug-18 14:35:18

Good news for the victim of one of BJ's dreadful gaffs-

"Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British woman in prison in Iran, has been reunited with her daughter during a three day release. It is the first time she has been allowed out of prison since her arrest in April 2016. The 40-year-old is currently with her family in Damavand, north east of Tehran, the Free Nazanin campaign confirmed."

news.sky.com/story/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-reunited-with-daughter-during-three-day-iran-prison-release-11480116

This is only for three days. Let's hope she is soon properly released.

MawBroon Thu 23-Aug-18 16:48:45

My (unworthy) thought is that they should try to spirit her, her daughter and parents out of the ountry!

oldbatty Sun 26-Aug-18 13:33:38

arrivals into low-paid work and helping to raise local tensions, according to a study by the Institute for Public Policy Research thinktank (IPPR). It found there had been dramatic cuts in funding for English lessons and other help, and that more than 37% of EU migrants are overqualified for their jobs in the UK.

oldbatty Sun 26-Aug-18 13:34:43

Just posting this to provide some back up for my earlier comments.

petra Sun 26-Aug-18 14:30:52

MawBroon
I'm with you all the way. We need someone like Ross Perot who was determined to get two of his workers out of Iran ( who had been illegally imprisoned) come hell or high water: and he did it, without the help of the US government.
We have the best in the world to accomplish this wink

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Aug-18 15:41:53

I agree MawBroonbut I understand that she has now been returned to prison.

In fact Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was the victim of the Iranian regime, not of Boris Johnson. Whether or not his gaffe hindered her cause we will not know.
Let's hope, anyway, that with a change of FS, some progress might be made in her case.

I don't think Trump is helping matters either.