Gransnet forums

News & politics

Frank Field

(258 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 16:35:07

Frank Field is resigning the party whip and will serve as an independent MP in protest of the party’s excuses over anti semitism and bullying in the party

After 39 years of being a labour MP

Shame on you Corbyn, shame on you

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 17:50:01

Yes niggly he did support Corbyn for the leadership contest

Here is the list

www.independent.co.uk/news-14-5/who-are-the-morons-who-nominated-jeremy-corbyn-for-the-labour-leadership-contest-10406527.html

trisher Thu 30-Aug-18 18:00:53

Nobody has welcomed his resignation, however if he has lost the confidence of his local party it is difficult to see how he could go on.
niggly votes are usually of 2 types votes of conscience where an MP is free to choose and whipped votes where he should vote with the party. I don't know how this applies to Corbyn's voting, I do know he voted against the War in Iraq , thank goodness!

nigglynellie Thu 30-Aug-18 18:02:00

Thank you annie. Not quite sure what to make of it except that I guess it was done with good intentions and has backfired badly. All parties suffer from that at some time or another, but perhaps not quite so catastrophically!

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 18:08:13

Several of them have spoken of their mistake niggly, poor Jo Cox even said it to the press , here is her statement

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/06/jeremy-corbyn-leadership-labour-mps-elections

nigglynellie Thu 30-Aug-18 18:56:57

Thanks again annie. JC didn't learn any lessons and certainly, as you've said, did little or nothing in the run up to the referendum! A baffling disappointment to all his supporters, and baffling to us onlookers too!!

Ilovecheese Thu 30-Aug-18 19:05:42

But Jo Cox was talking about the local election results in 2016, she was disappointed in the number of Labour votes. She was speaking before the 2017 general election, so it does seem rather unfair to use her now, to support your own views.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 19:08:04

For those who think he has only done this now, he has been writing letters to the NEC and the Chief Whip for 18 months re racism and bullying in the party.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 19:19:50

Not using her , i posted a link with the names of those who supported him for the leadership election, Jo Cox and Neil Coyle who also supported Corbyn gave that interview to the press

Sarah Champion , another supporter was pushed out of the shadow cabinet for speaking openly about the exploitation of girls by British Pakistani man.

Huw Irannca Davies , another supporter stood down as a Labour MP and stood for AM in the Welsh Government

winterwhite Thu 30-Aug-18 19:21:44

I wish Frank Field every success as an independent. His voice for the underdog was an influential and much-needed one, particularly the launching of the anti-poverty movement. Surely the voters of Birkenhead will remember and recognise this.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 19:27:45

winterwhite he will stand as Labour Independent, but Momentum are at work in his constituency

Fennel Thu 30-Aug-18 19:30:29

I've always admired him.
Good for him that he has stood up for his principles.
If only we had another suitable leader for the LP sad.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 19:40:43

There are several suitable leaders Fennel but Momentum and the unions want to keep Corbyn as leader.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 22:14:03

Frank Field sees the Chief Whip tomorrow, he could be out of the party soon , not from choice.

grumppa Thu 30-Aug-18 22:20:48

He was fighting against the far left in Birkenhead when I had meetings with him. I really warmed to him.

Anniebach Thu 30-Aug-18 22:37:28

Grumpa, he spoke of the bullying by members who had joined in recent times , Labour councillors have been harrased , a councillor in his eighties was accused of attacking one, the police questioned him, the councillor died of a heart attack. Frank wants to stay a party member but going by Corbyn’s reply today it seems he will be out, I hope not. He is a good man.

Blinko Fri 31-Aug-18 08:11:26

FF's resignation says much for JC and the current Labour Party. He is among other honourable people who are appalled by the activities of the present leadership.

We do not have a viable opposition in this country.

kittylester Fri 31-Aug-18 08:37:53

Well, at least JC has thanked him. Frank Field said it was as though he had resigned from a whist club.

Reminiscent of the churlish behaviour of Trump towards McCain.

Oldwoman70 Fri 31-Aug-18 08:39:53

I am not a Labour supporter but have always admired Frank Field as an honest politician committed to his constituents and principles. I think many Labour supporters will be influenced by his leaving a party he has served for so long.

Iam64 Fri 31-Aug-18 08:41:05

Frank Field represents a constituency that voted to Leave the EU. His majority is something like 76%.

He had a long record of independent thinking, I may not always have agreed with him but I admire him and believe we need more, not less, MPs with his energy and commitment to public service.

He fought against Militant and is now fighting Momentum who are active in his constituency party. His concern about bullying and anti semitism within the LP has been reported on for a couple of years. I don't agree that he jumped before he was pushed, his record suggests he has resigned the whip for exactly the reasons he has given. As all leading LP people now talk about the need to tackle anti semitism within the party, why is Frank Field said to be jumping on an issue that doesn't exist.

Anniebach Fri 31-Aug-18 08:42:09

Will Corbyn throw Frank out of the party and risk a by election.

Frank may now leave the party and there will by a by election , he is going to speak to his constituents.

Momentum activists must be running themselves ragged

Anniebach Fri 31-Aug-18 08:46:59

Good post Iam.

Mary Creagh has tweeted support for Frank, he got £280 million off Phillip Green for BHS pensioners, how he has fought for the hungry and against child poverty .

Iam64 Fri 31-Aug-18 08:48:07

If there is to be a by election, on current statistics it seems more than possible that Frank Field will win the seat. what a mess it all is.
We need a strong opposition which ever party is in power. This lot need a strong opposition more than most. where is it?

Anniebach Fri 31-Aug-18 08:59:36

If there is a by election I hope and pray Frank will win the seat, he is a man of honour

I remember in Merthyr , the strongest labour seat in Wales, the Labour MP S O Davies was de selected because he had reached 80 years of age, he stood as Independant Labour and won, , this was 1970.

Fennel Fri 31-Aug-18 09:33:55

Annie wrote
"Momentum activists must be running themselves ragged"
They've stopped sending me emails - not that I had ever knowingly joined Momentum.
Since I rang to ask if my membership to the LP is still active. It has lapsed.
The person on the phone said she would send me a membership form. A letter came, but no form. So I've given up.

POGS Fri 31-Aug-18 10:11:13

Iam 64

I totally agree with your post.

Frank Field has not ' just ' spoken out about the antisemitism issues associated with Labour !! There will be many who will say he has ' just ' mentioned it because he will give a reason to go before he was pushed.

Frank Field has been mentioned on threads regarding antisemitism and deslections in the Labour Party for over 2 years since Corbyn became Leader and I know that because I am one of the posters who has mentioned him.

Frank Field had the same ' deselection ' threats in the 1980's as Grummpa mentioned . That all came from the same scenario as we see being repeated to date in many Labour held constituencies and councils but then the threat was from the Trotskyite Militant Tendency now it is called Momentum.

Ringing any bells????

As for hypocrisy it is astounding how easy some slip into that category.

Corbyn is feted as being a ' Conviction Politician ' a ' Man of Principle ' but when other politicians do the exact same and it goes against Corbyn or their opinions they become ' A Traitor ' that must be deselected. Corbyn voting against his party is different to another MP voting against his party in the eyes of some WHY?

How many threads have we had on GN saying MP's should vote with their conscience? It's like any subject the answer is well as long as the subject suits ' my' criteria but not let's hold that as a true point of principle because on occasion I don't agree with them so I will revert to calling for their deselection. How shallow can people be!

I would not be surprised with a minimal amount searching GN threads there will be the some posters who will have had nothing but praise for Frank Field but now he is the devil incarnate .

I genuinely hope that if Frank Field is booted out of the Party and he stands as an Independent the Labour voters , not the Labour Party / Momentum activists or new/returned Labour members reelect Frank Field and he maintains a good majority. Will that happen? It depends how much bile can be spewed against him , how much his constituents will put the Labour Party over what they have deemed as a good MP for years but I hope they at least think about it .

Frank Field I have always respected you and you have proven to be the true ' Conviction Politician ' and ' Man of Principle '.