Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn in trouble

(142 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 09:18:50

John McDonald gave an interview yesterday concerned the party could split.

A spokeswoman for UNITE just gave an interview, she thinks Corbyn is naive, fights for the underdog even if they are wrong. Is guided by the wrong people such as Seumas Milne who are not labour members.

The party is not now the party she has always known.

Then praised John McDonald

Devorgilla Sun 02-Sep-18 12:20:58

Hate it when they cut off a good speech mid flow. Hope we can get to hear all of it at some stage. Always liked GB.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 12:24:01

SKY are showing it now

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 12:31:21

Ken Livingstone Won the Olympics for London.
confused

Paris had been favourites throughout the campaign but London's hopes were raised after an impressive presentation by Lord Coe, the bid chairman.
It will be the first time the Olympics has been held in Britain since 1948.
^Coe said: "This is just the most fantastic opportunity to do everything we ever dreamed of in British sport.^"
The Queen, in a message to Coe, said: "I send my warmest congratulations to you and every member of the London 2012 team for winning the bid for the UK.
"It's a really outstanding achievement to beat such a highly competitive field."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4655555.stm

I also see Blair mentioned but no mention of Livingstone.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 12:33:36

What about Tessa Jowell ?

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 12:38:35

Not mentioned in that report but I do remember her enthusiastic support for the bid.
I don't actually remember any input from KL though; there was a LA committee working hard on the bid too.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 12:45:51

She was active in the campaign, she was minister for the Olympics

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 12:59:44

Does anyone seriously think that the Mayor of London wouldn't be involved in a London Olympic bid? Oh well Here's the list
The bid committee was made up of some of the best known faces in British sport; David Beckham, Kelly Holmes, Sir Bobby Charlton, Amir Khan, Denise Lewis, Sir Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Tanni Grey-Thompson, Matthew Pinsent, Princess Anne, London 2012 Olympic Chief Executive Keith Mills, Chairman of the British Olympic Association Craig Reedie, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell and the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone.

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 13:00:21

She was Culture Secretary Annie

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 13:05:57

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_for_the_Olympics

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 13:55:15

She was Culture Secretary Annie
And Minister for the Olympics too

The Minister for the Olympics was a position within the United Kingdom Government created on 6 July 2005 as a result of the selection of London to host the 2012 Summer Olympics. It was merged into the position of Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport in May 2010.

OldMeg Sun 02-Sep-18 14:09:38

Wasn’t George Brown the outgoing PM when Liam Byrne, chief secretary to the Treasury left a note for his successor that proved to be a gift for the Conservatives saying there was no money left!

??

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 14:10:06

I know Jalima

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 14:24:54

Apologies I thought we were talking about the campaign that you thought Ken Livingston wan't involved in.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 14:43:36

Well not really, the thread was started because of the interview with the spokeswoman from UNITE, she said Corbyn was naive, fought for the underdog even if the underdog was wrong and the party now, which she has been a member of for many years now was combobulated. This added to John McDonald’s concerns sbout a split in the party , yet Corbyn remains silent. The person from UNITE said those closest to Corbyn were not labour

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:21:34

I know Jalima
I realised that you'd put the link on before I posted that Anniebach - after I posted!

If it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice.

Apologies I thought we were talking about the campaign that you thought Ken Livingston wan't involved in.
Perhaps it was those aristocrats at the top of the BBC who kept his name out of the news about the Olympics.
Naughty!

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:23:10

In fact, I don't think that Tessa Jowell is mentioned in that BBC report - just Blair muscling in on the glory.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:23:27

back to Corbyn.

POGS Sun 02-Sep-18 15:49:17

Anniebach

Apologies

I have just posted re Gordon Brown on SKY News on another thread and now I am catching up with this one.

Never mind if something is worth saying (and it can be said on multiple threads covering the same topic ) I like his words when he said:

" The definition, which has been signed by 31 countries, states that criticism of Israel cannot be regarded as anti-Semitic.

"I’ve read the document and it’s absolutely clear. And people are not telling the truth when they say something else "

The document says specifically in its first paragraph that criticism of Israel is not to be taken as anti-Semitism. It says specifically that you can criticise the government. That you can support the Palestinian cause for a two state solution, but you must never allow the discrimination and prejudice that is part of the definition’s desire to remove"

I like the " And people are not telling the truth when they say something else " part especially. This is the fall back position for those who defend the Labour Party not adopting the internationally recognised definition of anti-Semitism in it's present form.

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 15:49:27

Where is the saviour of mankind, at a pop rally I expect whipping up hatred in the young, many of whom when they have a job and a family may vote Tory

OldMeg Sun 02-Sep-18 16:24:37

That’s all surmise Annie and probably not true anyway.

What pop rally please? None I expect.

Since when has whipping up support equates to hatred?

Are you moonlighting as a Daily Mail journalist perhaps?

Never let the truth get on the way of a good story eh?

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 16:41:45

I said whipping up hatred not whipping up support and I didn’t say he was at a pop rally , I said ‘at a pop rally I expect ‘

trisher Sun 02-Sep-18 17:00:00

I still do not understand why criticism is being targetted at the Labour Party for considering amendments to the IHRA definition of anti-semitism when an all party select committee enquiring into anti-semitism recommended additional clauses
24. We broadly accept the IHRA definition, but propose two additional clarifications to ensure that freedom of speech is maintained in the context of discourse about Israel and Palestine, without allowing antisemitism to permeate any debate. The definition should include the following statements:
• It is not antisemitic to criticise the Government of Israel, without additional evidence to suggest antisemitic intent.
• It is not antisemitic to hold the Israeli Government to the same standards as other liberal democracies, or to take a particular interest in the Israeli Government’s policies or actions, without additional evidence to suggest antisemitic intent.
25. We recommend that the IHRA definition, with our additional caveats, should be formally adopted by the UK Government, law enforcement agencies and all political parties, to assist them in determining whether or not an incident or discourse can be regarded as antisemitic.
There have also been a number of criticism by lawyers about the wording (including some Jewish ones). It seems odd that the UK government should not adopt the committee's recommendations.

OldMeg Sun 02-Sep-18 17:54:05

Read my post Annie that’s what I’m complaining about ...??

OldMeg Sun 02-Sep-18 17:55:11

What you don’t know you are making up....ever heard of Fake News, the preserve of the far right?

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 18:09:38

OldMeg, I read your post and replied