Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should the electorate have the final say on Brexit?

(279 Posts)
MarthaBeck Sun 02-Sep-18 10:29:39

It is hard to believe Number 10 saying giving the People a final say on Brexit is a betrayal, when it will be the electorate themselves making the final decision. Surely, our democracy wins by deciding on agreement No 10 wishes to impose that may be very different to what the leading leave campaigners promised and the electorate accepted ie more money for the NHS, for Care, for our Infrastructure, and greater trade opportunities etc, etc.
Today, A key Conservative party donor has also called for a People’s vote to be held on the final Brexit deal amid new warnings about the huge financial costs of leaving the EU without an agreement.
Sir Simon Robertson, a former banker and Rolls-Royce chairman. Has told the Observer he was “deeply depressed” by the direction of the Brexit debate and he believed there should be a chance for a vote on the final deal hammered out with Brussels.
His backing for a second public vote suggests that there is support for the move among senior Tory Remainers.

“I think it is complete balderdash to say the people have spoken, therefore you can’t go back. The people can speak again – why can’t we have another vote on it?” Robertson told the Observer. “We had a brilliant deal with Europe. We had an opt-out on ever-closer union, we weren’t in the single currency and we were not in Schengen [the EU’s passport-free travel area]. We had a perfect arrangement. We are now going to end up with one where, at the end of things, we won’t have a final say.
If a final democratic resolution to Brexit is not offered to the electorate I fear there is likely to be such severe anger and possible backlash that we have never seen in the UK in our lifetime, that in my view we must avoid by giving the Nation the final say rather than having it imposed by dogma.

winterwhite Sun 02-Sep-18 10:48:13

I agree with the Simon Robertson article and hope it will get broad coverage so good it to see it highlighted in this post. .
I signed the petition for a second referendum weeks ago. Not because I think it the right answer in itself, but because it seems the strongest way of forcing the government to draw back and think again. The rhetoric about going against the democratic wish of the nation sounds more insincere every time it's trotted out.

POGS Sun 02-Sep-18 11:10:19

As Brenda from Bristol said " What another one ".

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:14:03

May will not hold a second referendum, Corbyn does not want a second referendum.

Welshwife Sun 02-Sep-18 11:33:52

But it is their duty as MPs to do the best for the country - not lead it into disaster.

nigglynellie Sun 02-Sep-18 11:41:31

What if it gives the same result?! Do we have yet another, and another and even another, until the 'right' result is arrived at? Or do we say, despite perceived impending disaster, we'll have to do it regardless?!!

Anniebach Sun 02-Sep-18 11:53:15

The country voted to leave Welshwife, this is their given reason for not supporting a second referendum.

Welshwife Sun 02-Sep-18 11:58:06

We all know the referendum was iffy to say the least when Parliament voted for an advisory referendum and it morphed into one which was binding.

nigglynellie Sun 02-Sep-18 12:15:16

Perhaps Parliament took the advise?!!!

nigglynellie Sun 02-Sep-18 12:18:13

Sorry, advice

paddyann Sun 02-Sep-18 13:01:00

yes ,MY country didn't vote to leave and neither did NI .As one of the TWO signatories of the Act of Union we have been left out the loop in a quite disgraceful way .If this is what Teresa May believes is an equal partnership than she has a very strange idea of what EQUAL is!Dragged out against our will and no say whatsoever in any of the negotiations.

lemongrove Sun 02-Sep-18 13:11:22

NO!!!!! grin

Nonnie Sun 02-Sep-18 14:01:03

Of course we should have a vote on the final deal. That will be a vote about facts not the fiction we were sold by the Leave campaign. The Remain campaign was pitiful and the Leavers told so many lies which the BBC failed to point out to people. It is hardly surprising so many people have now realised that the reality is very different to the promises and want another vote. A vote on the final deal would not be a betrayal of those who voted to leave, in fact it would prove whether they still believed they were right. Why not? If the British public vote as they did originally then it will go ahead. What is our government afraid of?

MaizieD Sun 02-Sep-18 14:03:50

I'm with you MarthaBeck

midgey Sun 02-Sep-18 14:47:23

I’m with you Lemongrove!

kittylester Sun 02-Sep-18 15:00:13

And me lemon!

jura2 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:40:25

Firmly with Martha and Nonnie.

Tiny majority, tons of lies and even fraud = democracy requires a vote on the final deal absolutely.

What is indeed our Government afraid of?

Greta Sun 02-Sep-18 16:04:08

We have a weak government. The promise of 'strong and stable' was empty words.
We have an equally weak opposition.
We have politicians who have behaved appallingly and I include both parties here.
We have struggling vital institutions like the NHS.
We have gross inequalities between our people as regards income, health, housing and education.
Instead of putting our own house in order we chose to leave the EU.
But I'm not sure about a second referendum. I believe many people are so stubborn that they will not change their mind, partly because they have this blind faith in 'Great Britain', partly because they just can't be bothered any more.

Deedaa Sun 02-Sep-18 17:08:33

I would have thought that even people who voted out would like a chance to vote on the final deal. Don't they want a chance to say "Yes that's what we want" or "No it shouldn't be done like that"?

MarthaBeck Sun 02-Sep-18 17:34:12

It is very obvious that Lemon and associates do not trust the majority of the Electorate agreeing with her and her leave friends, even on a vote that is based simply on the truth facts instead of deception.

One that we all agree the wording cannot be misleading and therefore should be legally binding in respect of the Brexit question. Then nobody can go on seeking a vote on the same subject. Final would mean a final decision being sacrosanct.

nigglynellie Sun 02-Sep-18 18:42:01

But would it be if it 'went wrong' again?! Would you not have all the disappointed calling foul, manipulating public opinion and calling for yet another vote, say, two years down the line?!!

humptydumpty Sun 02-Sep-18 18:51:05

fgs niggly can you not see that the first vote was based on very little information, and what there was wasn't necessarily true! it's a constant cry of leavers 'do we keep having referenda until you get the result you want' - no, of course that isn't the point, the point is to have opinions expressed on information about the likely consequences of leaving the EU, irrespective of what way the vote went; it should also include requirements of turnout and winning margin, in short to be a formal referendum rather than an advisory vote.

Bridgeit Sun 02-Sep-18 18:56:51

Nigglynellie, it hasn’t gone right or wrong it’s just a muddle,
with no details,& even if / when we get details it’s too late to do anything about it. I can’t think of any other situation where a momentous decision has been taken based on so little reality, IMO it was an emotive vote fuelled by discontent & scaremongering.

MamaCaz Sun 02-Sep-18 19:00:56

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can possibly claim that asking our population to either confirm or change their original vote would be undemocratic, yet that seems to be the gist of the main argument against it!

lemongrove Sun 02-Sep-18 19:05:58

actually MarthaBeck although I had to laugh at 'lemon and associates' [have always wanted my own business firm]
not all the 'associates' voted to Leave.