Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris is in trouble

(74 Posts)
jura2 Thu 06-Sep-18 15:30:26

at last, the legal case has been put together to sue Boris ... for his lies during the campaign - re the 350m a week we 'give' to the EU.

I shall happily join in the Crowdfunding to support Marcus Ball in this endeavour, as I contributed to phase one.

Bring it on.

oldbatty Sat 08-Sep-18 23:44:42

No no no if you are to believe the good folks of gransnet, he is just being bold enough to say what the rest of us are thinking.

MaizieD Sun 09-Sep-18 00:12:58

I trust that I never think like Boris grin

maddyone Sun 09-Sep-18 00:16:01

People must have too much money if they can throw it away on this ludicrous campaign.

gangy5 Sun 09-Sep-18 09:27:54

Maizie D - I do have to admit that some of his comments should not have been uttered but I do agree with *oldbatty that he shows alot of empathy for the common man.
At this moment, he is the only person I can see that will decisively push through the best deal on Brexit for GB.

This Chequers deal has been orchestrated by civil servants lead by the mysterious Ollie Robins and are probably not Theresa May's ideas at all. She is the puppet having her strings pulled by others.

Parsley3 Sun 09-Sep-18 10:16:13

I do object to being referred to as “the common man” or even as so many politicians say”ordinary people”.
I would much prefer to be addressed as a citizen of this country as I am neither common nor ordinary.
As for Boris, comparing Brexit deals to suicide vests is disgraceful. Is he in touch with people who have actually experienced such horror? What qualities is he displaying by saying such a thing? I despair of finding a leader in any party that I can support with good conscience if I had to vote in a GE tomorrow.

bmacca Sun 09-Sep-18 10:26:37

gangy5, are you his campaign manager? ? This is the quote from the Observer:
“A poll last week by ConservativeHome showed Johnson had the backing of 35% of Tory supporters to be the next leader, more than double the proportion backing any other candidate. A survey by Survation for the Daily Mail taken after news of his divorce was announced found 18% of voters felt his personal difficulties made him unfit to be prime minister, against 64% who thought it did not make him unsuitable.

Another senior Tory said that Johnson was different from other politicians, and could bounce back more quickly from difficulties than his colleagues. “Boris is a brand. He defies all logic. He can do things that other politicians can’t.”

Later on Saturday, Johnson launched an uncompromising attack on the prime minister’s Brexit strategy, likening Britain to “a seven-stone weakling” up against the EU’s “500lb gorilla”.

In an article for the Mail on Sunday he continued: “We have wrapped a suicide vest around the British constitution”.

Apparently his Telegraph column tomorrow is going to be more of the same. To me it looks as if the Mail & Telegraph are going to support him

Anniebach Sun 09-Sep-18 10:28:31

Parsley, I too despair of finding a party I can support

Jane10 Sun 09-Sep-18 10:29:42

Incomprehensible!! How daft can people be?
Mind you, polls are one thing, actual voting intentions are another.

Diana54 Sun 09-Sep-18 10:46:29

Boris proving that he is a loose cannon again, he has no empathy with the common man at all his only interest is the ego trip of swinging voters to a kamikasi Brexit. Maybe the suicide pilot will get shot down before he does any more damage.

Anniebach Sun 09-Sep-18 11:23:59

Boris v Corbyn for PM , a cheery thought

gangy5 Sun 09-Sep-18 12:05:05

Whether remainer or brexiteer we have to accept that we are definitely leaving the EU. My reasoning is such that, as a general election is not on the horizon, something has to happen to move things on. It was obvious from the start that Barnier was not going to give us anything worth having. Corbyn is acting up in such a way intentionally - to make himself unelectable. Please put forward who you would recommend to see us through this debacle!!??

bmacca Sun 09-Sep-18 12:08:49

Parsley3, Anniebach- isn’t it more about voting for a Party’s policies rather than just a leader? I think the “personalities” of Trump and Johnson get far too much attention which I think says a lot about lazy journalism.
The press have known about Johnson’s affair for the last year but have chosen not to publish, even when he was making awful gaffes as Foreign Secretary. Were they protective because they saw him as a “journalist” or do the big players who own most of our press want a Brexiteer like him in power?

winterwhite Sun 09-Sep-18 12:27:20

Struggling here to see what Boris Johnson's vision is (Gangy5, 10.46).

Nonnie Sun 09-Sep-18 12:35:14

America voted Trump for President - I rest my case!

Maybe he should take over as PM. If he did he would then have to justify all the lies he told in the Leave campaign. Imo he left because he simply couldn't.

Fennel Sun 09-Sep-18 13:22:23

re Johnson's affairs - I doubt it will make any difference to his popularity. Might even increase it, with male voters anyway hmm.
As with Trump and some french presidents.

Anniebach Sun 09-Sep-18 13:31:54

bmacca, how is it possible to vote for policies when one has no trust or faith in the person who puts them forward?

gangy5 Sun 09-Sep-18 14:16:05

I agree with you winterwhite. None of us are aware of Boris defining what his Brexit end game is. I am sure that it will be revealed shortly!

MaizieD Sun 09-Sep-18 17:49:22

Boris's ONLY endgame, gangy5 is the leadership of the tory party.

This is the man who, when he was a Brussels correspondent, told lies about the EU just for the fun of it. Lies which people have quoted as being a reason the leave the EU because they believed them.

This is the man who is reported to be regretting choosing to back Leave. He only did it as he thought it would get him the 'top job' in the tory party. He's not in the least bit bothered about whether we stay or leave; all he's bothered about is Boris.

A person can be as charming and intelligent as they possibly can be but if they have no moral compass they are not fit for high office. That Boris has no moral compass has been shown time and time again. He's a charming charlatan who would be a disaster for the UK.

MaizieD Sun 09-Sep-18 18:16:06

Here's Boris in 2002 talking about his EU lies:

Parsley3 Sun 09-Sep-18 18:45:43

The leader of a Political party is responsible for delivering that party’s policies. For example, the Labour Party has moved further left because Corbyn is the leader while it moved to the right under Blair. The leader is the public face of the party, or should be. If the leader is behaving like an eejit, then what confidence can I have that all is well with the policies? Personalities do matter.

bmacca Sun 09-Sep-18 19:19:01

Party leaders do not solely write the Party policies nor are they solely responsible for delivering them if they are elected to govern. The Labour Party has returned to left politics and members elected a leader who they felt represented what they wanted. As Labour did a lot better than predicted at the last GE, then there are obviously many members of the public who also agree with Party members.

I’ve been drawn into this response however, this is a thread about Johnson. I would agree with how Tom Watson has described him - “He is the man who wrote two versions of his Brexit thoughts - one Remain and one Leave. He then signed up to Leave when his naked ambition to be PM won over his private view of what was best for our country. And he then, in full knowledge of the facts, led a campaign packed full of lies and falsehoods”

varian Sun 09-Sep-18 19:26:32

It seems that those who know him well are saying that he now regrets choosing the wrong side of the argument because he can see that brexit is doomed to fail.

gangy5 Tue 11-Sep-18 08:30:16

I suppose it is rather naive to think that Boris's aims have anything to do with the good of the country.