Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we ensure views on Gransnet are given a broader hearin?

(144 Posts)
MarthaBeck Tue 18-Sep-18 16:53:17

Yesterday, I suffered a long boring train journey which was running rather late. Fortunately, I had my iPad and the opportunity to read far more constructive contributions to gransnet than I normally do. I became very aware that right across our Forum subject matters, a very high percentage of the comments were invaluable in the way they disseminated information and helped to provide informed opinions.

That focussed my mind on could those contributions be put to far better use, especially by perhaps focusing decision makers to take greater account of the massive talent and ranges of views on gransnet? Particularly, those which suggest solutions that are often outside the box but extremely constructive in their approach to problem solving.

My question is simply how can gransnet members influence
decision makers and bureaucrats to help improve our society by listen more and taking greater account of what we have to say?

I suppose I am asking the impossible and seeking a utopia
which is beyond reach. Mainly Imhave to accept because our politicians and bureaucrats will always have their own agendas and rarely listen to views outside their tribal political circles. I must becoming more cynical.

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 10:31:19

I didn't say I was part of the 'camraderie' (did no one ntice the inverted commas? It indicates the word isn't strictly accurate) Annie I very much am not (and don't want to be)

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 10:31:40

Suggestion for new name:

BoringOldFartnet

Good idea?
It would encompass all genders

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 10:38:15

'It takes all sorts to make a world'
'It would be a dull world if we were all the same'

Oft quoted by my DM when I was a child

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Sep-18 10:41:22

I for one did not join gn to influence decision makers of any kind.

I joined because I have had a terrible year, and although I am married with AC and numerous GC, I sometimes feel very alone.

I joined initially to read what people were saying and get to "know" you all. I plucked up to post on a thread, got viscously attacked by another poster and felt absolutely dreadful. Fortunately I had a dm from another poster that was so kind a supportive I have carried on with gn, even starting my own thread.

Surely there are forums out in there in "internet land" for everyone. Isn't it better to find the forum that suits you, rather than join a forum and try and change it?

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 10:48:36

trisher I didn’t say you were part of a camaraderie, I asked for a definition of camaraderie and gave an example which explained why I asked .

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 10:50:42

GrannyGravy, so please a poster encouraged you to stay with us

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 10:55:02

Annie instead of playing the "I didn't say, I didn't mean" card why didn't you in the first place say who said what and who supported that and how? i.e me. It's all this hint and innuendo and 'I'm really such a nice person' bitching that puts people off posting. Especially men who in my experience prefer a good straight argument or discussion rather than the present style of posting.

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 10:57:58

I don't think anyone wants to stop there being a supportive element to GN GG13 but some would like to see a wider range of subjects and posters.

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 11:00:06

We have had suggestions on this thread about how GN could be changed and/or brought to a wider audience.

We can suggest but it's not our call.
It's up to GNHQ and they may well put ideas out to all for discussion if they think any changes need to be made.

Where are you GNHQ?

MawBroon Fri 21-Sep-18 11:07:10

If by camaraderie you meant clique, Trisher say so.
Only too obvious when they raise their heads, but fortunately that tends only to be on certain forums
#callaspadeaspade

MawBroon Fri 21-Sep-18 11:08:56

In any case you can’t legislate for a wider range of subjects (have you seen all the forums?) or indeed more/different posters.
GN is what its members make it.

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 11:10:32

trisher, I am not going to quote names and thread titles , it isn’t permitted

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Sep-18 11:12:25

Oh, hello! Sorry, we are here. Let us have a quick read of the whole thread so we can answer properly.

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 11:32:07

Annie that's using the rules to obfuscate. Nothing to stop you posting my name, the words you objected to, and the name of the poster. However as I said it's off putting and unnecessary.
MawBroon I have seen allegations of "cliques" before. I don't think they exist as such. I do think some people just post to support other people and create 'in' jokes. For new members it's a bit like walking into a coffee morning where everyone is chatting and you feel a bit of a lost soul. In real life of course someone would turn and smile at you, on line we can't do that so the newcomer looks, reads but eventually turns away.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 21-Sep-18 11:33:24

Wow, firstly, thanks OP for starting this thread. It's really interesting to read how people use and see Gransnet.
Yes, we'd be very happy to look at specific issues that the GN community faces and see if they could form the basis of a campaign. Please start threads on issues that are important to you or that you think need addressing from the governments etc and report them to us so we can keep an eye and see which get widespread support.

Just to be clear and I know many of you supported this earlier in the conversation, we don't censor views or opinions unless they go against our very few guidelines. We really do try to be a very lightly moderated site and let you get on with your conversations.

What does seem to be coming up more frequently is how new posters sometimes feel uncomfortable posting for the first time or feel that the reactions to their first post were quite robust and put them off posting again. On the other hand we've also noticed how many of you are very warm and welcoming to new users but we wondered if there's more we can do to encourage them to join in earlier? Or make them feel more part of the community? Any ideas?

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 11:34:03

Hasn’t put you off trisher

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 11:40:29

*Lara what about a star system? 1 star light hearted, 2 stars more robust 3 stars take cover. I also wondered about a welcome to GN thread where people are invited to make their first post and posters are requested to keep their post welcoming, possibly with one or two experienced posters welcoming and answering questions about GN, on a rota basis and GNHQ monitoring it for accuracy etc.

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 11:41:55

Annie could you please stop trying to make this thread about you and me. Thanks

Anniebach Fri 21-Sep-18 11:50:45

trisher, you addressed me, I replied

Elegran Fri 21-Sep-18 13:17:26

Hi Lara
One way to make newcomers feel part of the community is to give them help to learn how to navigate the site, how to post, how to start a new thread, where the list of topics are (and thence the threads under each topic) , what to do if they find a post offensive or spammy, how to send a private message to another poster, where to find the meanings of acronyms and why posters can choose to use them (or not) and all the other practical details involved in being an active member of Gransnet.

Posters are often unused to online social networks, and frequently ask in the course of a conversation about all these things and more. Even for those who have used Facebook and so on, finding their way around the site is like being stranded in a strange town with no street map.

Could there be a page with a comprehensive tutorial (interactive with screenshots) to navigating and using the site, and could every new poster be welcomed with a PM containing a link to that tutorial? If anyone asks on the forum, seasoned posters could also direct them to it, and not have to reinvent the wheel by repeating "how-to-do-it" to each newby separately.

lemongrove Fri 21-Sep-18 13:34:33

I think that more cameraderie is needed, not less!
If you see a post by a name that you don’t recognise and it’s a post asking for help, don’t wade in urging them to grow a pair.Understandably, new posters will soon be put off.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Sep-18 13:37:01

That's a really good idea Elegran, a few hints and tips for newbies, to help them get started, would work well.

Rufus2 Fri 21-Sep-18 13:57:00

Stick around Rufus and Grandad
OldMeg; I hear your call! I can't speak for Grandad of course, but I've no intention of leaving voluntarily (who's that booing?). grin. That would be completely disgraceful of me after that marvellous virtual birthday party you all gave me back in July. Like the tune says, the memory still lingers on.
Mind you, since then, I've been kicked out of a thread I started on behalf of Michelle who lives in "beige Bournemouth" on beige clothing and head scarves. It took off like wildfire, over 250 posts when I last looked, but when I said was out of my comfort zone seeing as how the topic had been shifted from beige wearing apparel, to beige house furnishings, I was given the flick. Michelle was highly amused by that, and no, she hadn't" set me up!" wink
Well, OldMeg; that developed into a long-winded monologue as usual; thanks again for your encouragement.
Btw; I've had no response from HQ yet on the "Humour" forum.

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 14:14:17

Can’t claim any kudos for that party as I didn’t attend Rufus - I’m not much of a party animal. Give me a glass of the red falling-down juice and a couple of old friends any day instead.

However I’m totally with trisher on this and feel that your and Grandad’s contributions add a certain ....i was going to say ‘je ne sais quoi’....but that’s not true, I know exactly the ‘quoi’ - yours being a zany humour and granddad adds a certain political gravitas, both of which are sadly lacking, often.

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 14:20:24

Give me a glass of the red falling-down juice
I think Rufus likes a drop of that too OldMeg, but only drinks half and pours the rest over his keyboard
wink