Gransnet forums

News & politics

British expats in France and other EU countries

(143 Posts)
jura2 Thu 18-Oct-18 09:22:00

Despite Mrs May repeated reassurances, it is now clear, that

BRITONS living in France will instantly be deemed illegal immigrants if the UK crashes out of the European Union without an exit deal, Emmanuel Macron’s government has proposed.

That will also mean the end of reciprocal health care and any kind of social support in case circumstances have changed, like losing a spouse, or illness or accident, etc, requiring any kind of assistance.

And you wonder why people are so worried, some of them actually suffering from severe anxiety, depression and other illnesses.

oldbatty Thu 18-Oct-18 13:21:46

telling all EU nationals they are welcome to stay? Where is this....in a parallel universe?

jura2 Thu 18-Oct-18 13:25:12

lemongrove- could you please provide a VERY recent official statement confirming this please. Have you no heard about the 35.000 minimum salary to be able to stay, and rising to £50.000.

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 13:25:43

Better led government????

lemongrove Thu 18-Oct-18 13:26:15

Oldbatty where have you been?
T May has given this reassurance many times to all EU nationals already living and working here.
Certainly to those already here up to the referendum date.

oldbatty Thu 18-Oct-18 13:28:41

Tell that to my Polish friends with the terminally ill daughter who have worked so hard here but now have to leave ,due in part to hostility from neighbours.

lemongrove Thu 18-Oct-18 13:29:26

I think you will find Macron is unpopular in France Crystal and yes, better led in terms of the moral high ground certainly.
£35,000 for a couple working here isn’t actually that much!

lemongrove Thu 18-Oct-18 13:30:48

Hostility from neighbours cannot be blamed on governments.

Mamie Thu 18-Oct-18 13:33:40

This is nothing to do with Macron, governments or hostility. It is simply a statement of the law as it stands, about third country nationals in France.
I don't think it can be explained any more simply than that.

lemongrove Thu 18-Oct-18 13:34:23

Elegran may well be right, posturing from Macron, or it could be that he and his cabinet are anti English in general
Much like De Gaulle was.

lemongrove Thu 18-Oct-18 13:35:26

In that case Mamie we have kinder laws here than you do, which doesn’t surprise me.

Mamie Thu 18-Oct-18 13:38:11

No, it is simply the law. The French Prime Minister has been very clear about reassuring us that we will be supported in doing what we need to do to be allowed to stay. The French Interior Ministry is working with the British Embassy to ensure that.

Mamie Thu 18-Oct-18 13:40:44

Is that right? Do third country nationals have automatic rights to live and work in the UK? I thought it was quite difficult. I know of some Canadian teachers who have had visa problems recently.
When the UK leaves the EU it becomes a third country. That is the reality.

Welshwife Thu 18-Oct-18 13:41:33

I have just read a report that the statement was to show the legal position of Brits in France the day after Brexit if nothing is done. It is to enable steps to be taken to prevent this. But the French are saying that this is dependant on a reciprocal agreement for French citizens in U.K. being agreed - which has not been done at all - TM is always gives very fudged answers on this point.

Welshwife Thu 18-Oct-18 13:43:48

The report also mentions people who have been fiscally resident in France for more than five years have an automatic right to permanent residency.

Mamie Thu 18-Oct-18 13:47:02

I think welshwife that the rights to residence for those legally established would not change, but would be different for those wishing to come. I have read that the law of "droit acquis" might also be significant.

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 14:14:02

BRITONS living in France will instantly be deemed illegal immigrants if the UK crashes out of the European Union without an exit deal, Emmanuel Macron’s government has proposed

I am relieved to see that Jura has now toned down yet another exaggerated sensation seeking misrepresentation of fact.

Surely Jura would have learned to check her facts before another knee jerk over reaction?

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 14:14:54

Thank you Mamie for common sense and a rather more helpful explanation of the situation.

Welshwife Thu 18-Oct-18 14:23:41

There was an initial report which said exactly what Jura reported - the other one surfaced subsequently.

jura2 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:30:19

It is not easy to check sources- when statements and facts keep changing. I got the OP from this article- which was NOT written by myself, I can assure you.

www.metro.news/france-will-demand-tourist-visas-and-make-ex-pats-illegal-if-theres-no-deal/1273199/

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 14:33:17

One has to be so careful about one’s sources.

jura2 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:40:57

Ah yes, but what would you do with your day, Maw, if you could not spend it having a go, or two, or more - at people, and me in particular, bordering on stalking.

I am glad I provide such entertainment for you.

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 15:03:07

What do I do with my day*Jura*?
Well this morning I was at my acupuncturist until 12, then a lovely long phone call from DD just back from a business trip to China, then caught up with GN.
Then lunch.
Now taking Hattie for a walk and meeting a friend for coffee.
Tomorrow? “Oceania” at the RA,after lunch with Paw sisters there.
Don’t flatter yourself!

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 15:04:05

Paw’s sisters.

MawBroon Thu 18-Oct-18 15:09:46

Or do you imagine that because I am widowed I have nothing more to fill my day than follow your meanderings ?
Below the belt!

crystaltipps Thu 18-Oct-18 15:18:47

LemonWell our government isn’t doing that well in the popularity stakes either so I wouldn’t claim any high ground there. I’m not sure making the country worse off and more divided is anything to boast about. Taking 2 years to get nowhere isn’t great government. The EU citizen member of my family( lived here for 25+ years, works in the NHS) , is not reassured by the mixed messages coming from the government, will she have to “register” and account for every movement? remember Windrush still rumbling on.