Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the 48 letters really there?

(40 Posts)
trisher Tue 13-Nov-18 10:58:04

If there are as has been widely rumoured the required 48 letters from MPs lodged with the 1922 asking for Mrs May to go why haven't they acted? Could it be that there is no one who wants the job? Are they planning for a general election? In the past they have acted quickly and ruthlessly to get rid of a leader. What is going on now? Are they just leaving Mrs May to carry the can for the Brexit farce?

Elegran Tue 13-Nov-18 11:05:32

If you plan to get rid of a leader it is best to have a suitable alternative candidate waiting in the wings. Heaven knows who that would be.

In this situation, they are probably postponing action until after Mrs M has finished negotiating Brexit. Then they can either give three cheers and rally behind her, or throw her to the wolves and find some other patsy brave soul to take over refashioning the country in line with all the new legislation that is to come.

Maybe the rumours are just wishful thinking?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:21:05

trisher I doubt if anyone on either side of the H of P want the job of PM at this moment in our History.

TM is damned whatever she manages to do with the poison chalice that the referendum in 2016 has delivered.

I voted leave by the way, just wish our MP's would stop political point scoring and get on with the job in hand!!!

If it was such a loaded revolver - why was it handed to us "the ill-informed" (goes for both sides of the debate by the way) to vote on, before they had a "plan"

POGS Tue 13-Nov-18 13:35:03

trisher

Who knows?

Your other thread asked more or less the same question back in September and she has not gone yet.

She could be gone in 24 hours, 24 days or 24 months .

trisher Tue 13-Nov-18 17:53:16

It was Christine Hamilton on Jeremy Vine the other morning who said the letters are there. Perhaps she was just speculating but I do think she might have close connections there.

Smileless2012 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:08:43

If the letters are there then they should be produced. IMO those who wrote them should put up or shut up.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 20:11:15

Christine Hamilton
confused
wife of the UKIP Neil Hamilton?

Quite honestly, would you believe it?

trisher Tue 13-Nov-18 20:48:25

Ah but Jalima1108 possibly close ties to some of the 1922 committee who have similar aims to UKIP but are just a bit more circumspect and in the background.

kittylester Tue 13-Nov-18 21:00:04

Surely, if the 48 letters are there, the 1922 committee has a duty to act. Can they choose when to flourish them? Seems Un democratic to me!

mostlyharmless Tue 13-Nov-18 21:16:08

I’m sure I remember reading that, while 48 letters could trigger a vote of no confidence, those numbers would probably not be enough to pass the vote in HoC.
I think it said something like 150 would be the minimum number of rebels to make a coup succeed.
If the 1922 committee were to start the process and fail they could not try again for twelve months. Perhaps the time isn’t right yet for an attempted coup.
I’ll try and find the source for that.

mostlyharmless Tue 13-Nov-18 21:23:46

It’s become a well-sourced article of faith that the problem that Conservative Brexiteers have is that they have the numbers to trigger a vote of no confidence in Theresa May’s leadership of the Tory party (they need 15 per cent of the parliamentary party to sign a letter calling for one, that is to say, 48 names) but not enough to win one (for which you need 50.1 per cent of the parliamentary party, i.e. 156 MPs)

It’s true to say that, if you were to pick up the phone to every member of the parliamentary Conservative party, you would struggle to get close to 156 people to commit to voting against May even privately. In fact there is a lot of hostility to the idea of triggering one early because under Tory party rules, if the leader survives a confidence vote you can’t have another go for a year.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2018/10/if-theresa-may-does-face-confidence-vote-dont-bet-her-winning-it

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 23:25:06

Ah but Jalima1108 possibly close ties to some of the 1922 committee who have similar aims to UKIP but are just a bit more circumspect and in the background.
do you think so trisher?
Is he still an AM?

Nanny41 Wed 14-Nov-18 10:06:54

Who would want to take over this complex task nobody at the moment, and who would the Country want? nobody at present.
We have a similar situation in Sweden at the momentt no real Government, there is still the old Prime Minister but nodody can agree how the coalition should be, so no Cabinet, Britain isnt the only Country in a MESS

LuckyFour Wed 14-Nov-18 10:21:13

Please, another referendum. The whole thing is a huge mistake!!!

mabon1 Wed 14-Nov-18 10:51:10

I voted remain. Teresa May has a toxic job, who would want it? I am no Tory but feel sorry for the woman.

Marieeliz Wed 14-Nov-18 10:52:35

Europe want it to be a huge mistake That's why they refuse to compromise. I really think that is what it is all about. Hoping we will back down, have another vote keep giving them the money they desperately want. I will still vote Leave and others who did will be angry and do the same.

luluaugust Wed 14-Nov-18 10:53:06

If I was TM I would resign today and let them sort that out, hang on isn't that what D Cameron did - nobody wants the job even Boris I suspect.

petra Wed 14-Nov-18 11:07:33

Nanny41
Thank you for pointing out that we're not the only country in a mess. We were talking to some Danes and they were talking about there being a very good chance that a anti immigration party will be voted in next year and the leader of that party wants to leave the Schengen zone.

Lilyflower Wed 14-Nov-18 11:21:15

Yes, Petra, and Italy is having great shenanigans with its banking crisis and with defying the EU over key issues.

As for France and Germany, do they not know that creeping federalisation and turning nation states into regions with the addition of an EU army are some of the reasons why principled voters opted for Brexit? To be banging that drum at this stage of the negotiations shows how arrogant and/or out of touch they are.

KirbyGirl Wed 14-Nov-18 11:42:56

I think I would have flounced out by now if I was TM. The whole thing is impossible. I did hear something, I think on Woman's Hour, that often women get elected in impossible situations where they are bound to fail and then men can say that women aren't up to it. Or is my memory faulty?

Craftycat Wed 14-Nov-18 12:32:16

I feel sorry for her too.
She's damned if she does & damned if she doesn't! Whatever the outcome someone will stand to take over from her having let her do all the work when it is all done & dusted- probably a man- & then they will blame her for anything that does not work or takes while to bed in.
She's on a hiding to nothing & she can do nothing about it.

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 12:58:19

As I said on another thread, I think that Boris is up to something, about to serve himself up as the saviour, having realised that Brexit is a bad idea, he obviously backed the wrong side in the original referendum, just to be on the opposite side of his mate Cameron. He will snatch victory at the last minute, after all the dreadful and hard negotiations that Teresa May has been through. As for the others and their alleged letters, they should have the courage of their convictions and put their principles before their career, but that is about as likely as Mrs Hamilton knowing the truth!

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:26:40

please no, GillT57 …..
I hope your crystal ball is having an off day

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:54:55

So do I Jalima1108! I would be happy for someone to come riding on a charger and save the country from Brexit, but please, not Boris!

Morgana Wed 14-Nov-18 18:47:37

hard to read the situation at the moment. As to who will be blamed? Well, I think that all the MP's are to blame: a) that awful referendum when no-one knew what they were voting for b) the lack of real information afterwards c)the sheer ineptitude of so many of the MPs who were unable to understand the situation and negotiate meaningfully d) the lack of honesty about our situation out of EU e)the sitting on the fence of the Labour Party. f)the grandstanding Tories. I could go on, but I am sure you are all bored already!!