Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cabinet chaos?

(114 Posts)
mcem Thu 15-Nov-18 10:08:26

First Dominic Raab, the Brexit Secretary and now Esther McVey from Work and Pensions.
Can you see a way out of the chaos we're witnessing?TM to address the HoC at 10.30.

Luckygirl Thu 15-Nov-18 10:14:50

It certainly is chaos and has a certain grim inevitability about it. I cannot see any government being able to achieve a leave deal that is wholly acceptable - but certainly not this one.

Cameron should have had some realistic thoughts on a deal before he started all of this.

Grandad1943 Thu 15-Nov-18 10:24:20

What a shower of sh*t this cabinet and Tory part is. They sit there facing Theresa May for five and a half hours, then come out jointly accepting the proposed deal, and then in true Tory tradition stab her in the back.

What a totally gutless crowd.

EllanVannin Thu 15-Nov-18 10:26:10

>>>>>>>>>didn't like Esther McVey anyway ! No loss.

oldbatty Thu 15-Nov-18 10:30:57

I'm watching the Victoria Derbyshire programme, desperately trying to understand what's going on.

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 10:41:36

The leaving of EM is being seen by some as the real Brexit dividend. ?

EllanVannin Thu 15-Nov-18 10:42:11

How to wheedle out those who are disloyal to a party. It's certainly separated the wheat from the chaff. Traitors.

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 10:44:07

I’m still pondering whether there will be a vote of confidence triggered by the Tory MPs and if so how many would vote against her.

winterwhite Thu 15-Nov-18 10:47:25

Wholly agree Grandad. They did just the same after the Chequers meeting. Who can have confidence in any of them?
TM says she has got the best deal she could and that the alternatives are no deal - calamitous for all but the wealthy - or no Brexit. Now there’s a thought....

Riverwalk Thu 15-Nov-18 10:50:43

A bit of a cheek for Raab to resign from the draft deal that he negotiated!

Why didn't he resign yesterday, instead of letting May come out to Downing Street to say the Cabinet had agreed the draft - it's not as though he didn't know what was in the document.

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 11:04:26

Mrs May and Corbyn are against a second referendum

oldbatty Thu 15-Nov-18 11:06:28

Do you think this chaos makes the UK vulnerable to attack?

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 11:10:59

oldbatty I really don’t

mcem Thu 15-Nov-18 11:18:49

Attack by whom? For what reason?
Anyway, as a people we are already under attack by this appalling government!

Grandad1943 Thu 15-Nov-18 11:23:21

Anniebach, I feel the future of this proposed agreement is no longer in the hands of Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn. It now seems that the whole Brexit issue is "careering out of control" with no true person of stature anywhere in the House of Commons who appears to possess the leadership qualities to lead this country out of this mess.

To return the matter to the British electorate is now the only way forward I believe. However, whether this parliament could even form enough agreement to decide on the question or questions that would be on the such a ballot paper is another matter.

Riverwalk Thu 15-Nov-18 11:28:01

What a snide threat just made by Rees-Mogg asking should he write a letter.

So many have been taken-in by his 'young-fogey' smooth, polite demeanour. He really is a nasty piece of work. Talk about kicking your leader when she's down.

lemongrove Thu 15-Nov-18 11:28:03

The whole of Parliament is culpable IMHO, members of all parties playing political games and many jockeying for positions.Cabinet Ministers should have resigned yesterday rather than today if they disagreed.
Those (in Parliament) who favour a hard Brexit and Remainers who have never accepted the results of the referendum are working together for no EU deal, yes, a complete shower.

humptydumpty Thu 15-Nov-18 11:30:50

It does seem as Dominic Grieve suggested this morning that it's time to put this back to 'the people': May's deal, no deal or remain. Surely that's the democratic approach?

lemongrove Thu 15-Nov-18 11:39:22

In that case I think that No Deal would win the day, and is that really what everyone wants?

crystaltipps Thu 15-Nov-18 11:43:10

I’m a remainer and I’d rather have Mays deal than no deal as that would be a disaster. Raab is a complete traitor. McVey -good riddance. Looks like the biggest constitutional crisis since Charles 1 had his head chopped off.

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 11:51:56

Nice try lemon still refusing to accept that this all happened with a Conservative Government - D.C. using the referendum as a way to unite his party, sure in his entitled posh boy way that he would win, not bothering to think it through or even have a minimum threshold % - the Tories are in government, we are facing the worst constitutional crisis ever and you try and blame everyone? I still remember the ashen faces of MG and BJ on the day after the result when they realised they’d won and just didn’t know what to do - and they ran away. The Tories are to blame for all of this and it just grieves me that there is no effective Labour Government in waiting.

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 11:54:39

And you ask if no deal is really what people want? Well that question wasn’t asked was it because it was a bloody stupid question that was asked in the first place and most people just did not realise what the real options were.

lemongrove Thu 15-Nov-18 11:58:43

Yes, I certainly do blame everyone in Parliament.What with Labour and their ridiculous ‘six tests’ which they know are impossible to have met, and Corbyn being anti EU all his life and now hedging his bets, the SNP against the referendum results ( as they are against everything that stems from Westminster) and MP’s of all Parties either wanting a hard Brexit or wanting to defy the referendum results.Just about any deal that T May brought back from Brussels would have been voted down, and not just by Conservatives.

lemongrove Thu 15-Nov-18 12:00:57

You’re a real keyboard warrior aren’t you maryE grin
I do wonder if you won’t say boo to a goose in the real world though.

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 12:08:21

maryeliza, isn’t saying David Cammeron enough for us to understand who you are referring to, posh boy is rather silly, so class war , so outdated