Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, BoJo, his daddy and Farage meet in a pub ....

(74 Posts)
jura2 Sat 17-Nov-18 11:47:34

could you write the rest of the story please.

jura2 Sat 17-Nov-18 19:13:24

You of course know Maw, that this was NOT a question, despite the ? It was an immediate and aggressive response.

And so is this one

'British sense of humour' - was this agressive, or just plain discriminatory? YOU know the answer. And then you will write 'leave me out of this' when you have jumped, voluntarily, and nastily, right in- of your very own volition.

Merlot - you do realise that, just as all Brits are not the same (as is abundantly clear here on GN)- even in small Switzerland, they are not either. Would love to know where your SIL comes from- but even if she came from my region, my village even- it would not make us the same... somehow. Stereotypes are really just meh.

But thanks to those who tried - or did not see it as a joke at all, but made appropriate comments to that effect- rather than attack.

jura2 Sat 17-Nov-18 19:14:56

Forgot to post the so-called question- so here it is:

What was it Jeremy Corbyn said about the British sense of humour?

Could you at least have the decency to clarify what is meant by this (I know very well- but at least own up to your words, and meanings).

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 19:20:33

Somebody seems to be suffering from a SOH bypass hmm

jura2 Sat 17-Nov-18 20:00:59

oh not at all- because your comments were personal attacks and NOT funny at all, as per usual.

At least do the decent thing and explain your 'so called' question...

What was it Jeremy Corbyn said about the British sense of humour?

What did the above mean?

Beau Sat 17-Nov-18 20:05:50

They were together 5 minutes - Nigel saw Boris and his Dad dining and he was dining there himself so went across to say 'hello'. Pure coincidence - I don't understand all the nasty remarks above so I'm just pointing out that they were not 'together' as such, it's just the press making something out of nothing as usual.

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 20:13:03

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-nigel-farage-enjoy-13603076
Right, if you need it spelled out Jura
You presumably saw an article or picture in the red tops (Metro, Mirror, Sun, Mail) about Johnson and Farage apparently having a meal at Boisdale which is a fairly swwnky Belgravia restaurant . Can’t be all that swanky, however, although it is very good, as we went to Paw’s cousin’s 60th there some years ago.
So then you think how hilarious it would be to elaborate on this image no doubt to mock most people’s least favourite people (plus Stanley -why?) and start a made up story.
As lead balloons go it was a classic.
So why my reference to Jeremy Corbyn?
JC got into trouble for suggesting that Zionists might have trouble understanding the English SOH even if they had lived in the UK for years. I don’t normally agree with JC on much and in the context of Zionism and anti-Semitism it was of course out of order, but in a sense he had a point about what different nationalities find humorous.
The Germans fall about at the annual rerun of “Dinner for One” starring Freddie Frinton. The French love Benny Hill.
C’est tout.

jura2 Sat 17-Nov-18 20:32:42

There- I knew the answer of course- but perhaps some did not. JC and Zionists - of course- how very related to me personally, and again, what a personal attack.

The OP was actually not 'meant' to be a joke - at all.
But you had to attack. You could made a comment that their meeting was an incredible coincidence, or that you would have liked to be a fly on the wall, or wonder what they are up to- or anything that could have tried to make any sense of this meeting at all. But NO- as always, you chose to attack, personally. Vraiment ni couilles ni nouilles, comme d'hab.

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 20:40:53

oh go on Maw- you spin us a funny tale then
Oops, so a funny tale was not meant to refer to any joke then? This was serious? You actually believed these three had met for a meal or whatever? (Boisdale is not a pub BTW)
confused
But if you are so easily taken in by fake news might I respectfully suggest you reconsider your choice of reading matter.

petra Sat 17-Nov-18 20:41:05

MawBroon
It did need spelling out, didn't it?
You put it very politely, but in Southend we would call it shit stirring that fell flat on its face.

Chewbacca Sat 17-Nov-18 21:00:06

Wtf is this thread all about? confused

It's about as funny as a fart in a lift. What is the point of it? Is it meant to be funny? Or confrontational? Or down wid da kidz? If it's meant to be funny, I'd suggest not giving up your day job just yet OP, you've got a bit more practising to do before you can do stand up.

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 21:32:54

Jura2
However embarrassed you may be by this or other threads I would prefer it if you would stop sending me abusive PMs which are too unpleasant to read.

petra Sat 17-Nov-18 21:59:34

MawBroon
How nasty. You know what to do, don't you?

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 22:04:00

Block her I suppose?
Report?
Copy and paste? wink

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 22:04:20

Oh, and ignore of course!

Iam64 Sat 17-Nov-18 22:04:51

Maw, I wouldn’t usually support posters who referred to PMs but in this case, it’s important that you did. I hope you are managing to ignore those PMs there is no point in doing anything other than ignore. Shocking behaviour from the sender

Chewbacca Sat 17-Nov-18 22:09:09

shock Really? Well, this thread ended up as unfunny as it started then. I'm sorry you received such an unpleasant pm Maw. As others have already advised, report and block. Shouldn't be necessary though, should it? flowers

petra Sat 17-Nov-18 22:15:30

MawBroon
When gillybob was referring to the nasty PMs that she was receiving from a poster, HQ stepped in and advised that offensive PMs should be reported.

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 22:30:38

OK
Done
We shall see if HQ feel the need to have one of their famous “words”

End of, I hope.

Elrel Sat 17-Nov-18 22:42:01

Maw
Thanks, I do like a good light ? bulb joke!

JustGrandma Sat 17-Nov-18 23:24:45

Gosh

Fennel Sun 18-Nov-18 09:21:00

Well done Maw.
I've been following this but couldn't trust myself to post.

annodomini Mon 19-Nov-18 09:41:29

Is it possible that the OP didn't realise that her thread title would set a hare running? In any case, the poor hare is thoroughly exhausted and I hope it finds a safe refuge!

trisher Mon 19-Nov-18 10:24:52

On the other hand anyone who thinks Boris, his dad and Farage have nothing in common and woudn't be talking to each other under any circumstances is living in a fantasy world. Their backgrounds are similar and no doubt they share many friends and aquaintances.
Must admit I thought it was a made up story. But then reality often mirrors fiction.