Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit induced poverty. Worth it?

(172 Posts)
MaizieD Wed 28-Nov-18 08:49:05

Yet again we are told that Brexit will make us poorer (Chancellor R4 this morning.

I wonder how many of our Gnet Leavers wil be happy to take a hit on their incomes/spending power for 'the cause'.

And how they feel about condemning half their fellow citizens to unwanted diminished economic prospects? (The Remain half, I mean.)

Lazigirl Wed 28-Nov-18 14:32:40

Oh dear the "fear merchants" are being mean and spreading woe again ?. The Govt has just published result of a cross party dept forecast that if TMs deal is accepted then the UK economy will be 3.9% smaller after 15 years. Under a no deal Brexit 9.3% lower projected. Better off staying in EU apparently, but hey who believes experts and economists anymore, they're always wrong, and forecast only based on expert facts, judgement and statistics........The other fear merchants the Bank of England due to publish their Brexit assessment later today. Watch this space.

suzied Wed 28-Nov-18 14:49:31

The EU is not a "club" - members enjoy 0% tariff free trade within the single market, those not in the EU do not enjoy the same benefits - why should they? Other countries impose trade tariffs - trade treaties are all about negotiating tariffs, thats why countries join together in trading blocs, following mutually agreed standards and enjoying free trade. May's deal puts us in an inferior position.

GillT57 Wed 28-Nov-18 14:50:07

Lazigirl are you being ironic? I do hope so. grin

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 15:07:29

If I do something wrong, I am mortified and worry about it for days
Me too, but I think that a pre-requisite of being a politician is to have a hide like a rhino.

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 15:08:52

I think you are right J.

Lazigirl Wed 28-Nov-18 15:10:24

If you prick them do they not bleed Jalima?

GillT57 Wed 28-Nov-18 15:22:13

Maybe this will help
newsthump.com/2018/02/08/brexiters-refusing-to-believe-their-region-will-be-worse-off-until-they-see-it-written-on-a-bus/?fbclid=IwAR2j2ZXbVYCV0Y8bK3srX03sjVFiJVbCbK2ElT6GS-zIdb8ekEDJqXJxyD4

newnanny Wed 28-Nov-18 16:12:49

Now i have read today that Trump offered her a complete free trade deal and she refused it. May is not good at decision making and on staying in Customs Union she has made a very bad decision. On Dec 11th she will lose vote in commons by a big margin. Her won cabinet and the whips are advising her of this but she just own't listen. After she has lost vote of no confidence she Conservatives will get letters in and she will lose vote of no confidence and they will elect a new leader. I am just so angry that she wasted the two years negotiating time and came back with deal worse than remaining in and that would have been almost impossible to do by anyone else. She has united Labour, DUP, SNP, Lib Dem, Greens and Independents and the majority of the Conservative party, what a feat. They all agree her deal is the worst deal on the planet. The faster May goes the better.

newnanny Wed 28-Nov-18 16:19:19

Can I remind remainers the Chancellor in 2016 stated if UK voted out of EU the economy would immediately crash, we would have another recession, unemployment would go up by millions, house prices would plummet, the sky would fall down etc etc. over last 2 years the economy has grown, no recession, unemployment lowest for over 20 years and has fallen over a million since 2016, house prices have gone up. So basically the exact opposite happened than was predicted. If chancellor can't make accurate predictions over 2 years what makes you think he can predict accurately over 15-20 years. Carney also made incorrect predictions to support Osborne/Hammond and his predictions untrue as well. Do not believe the so called experts. They have cried wolf all too often.

MaizieD Wed 28-Nov-18 16:42:19

They impose tariffs on anything from outside the "club".

You clearly know nothing about Everything But Arms (EBA) GG

Everything but Arms (EBA) is an initiative of the European Union under which all imports to the EU from the Least Developed Countries are duty-free and quota-free, with the exception of armaments

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_but_Arms

Least Developed Countries? List here, 47 of them:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_Developed_Countries

The Single Market is, in effect, a giant 28 nation Trade deal. That's what trade deals are all about, giving preferential terms to the participants. Perhaps all you highminded Leavers would rather we didn't have any trade deals at all because they are so unfair to countries not involved in them...

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 17:22:27

Cheering words from Mr Carney at the BoE..... not .

“The north east suffers most in a no deal, losing out on more than 10 per cent of economic growth”

No suprise there then angry

varian Wed 28-Nov-18 17:27:32

As predicted, the UK economy has not performed well since the referendum. We have gone from having the fastest growing GDP in the EU to the slowest and we have taken much longer than any other of the G20 most prosperous nations to recover from the global financial crisis of 2008.

The reason for this poor performance, which has particularly affected real growth in wages, has undoubtedly been our own government's austerity policies, and was one important reason that disaffected folk voted to leave the EU, when in fact what they wanted to protest about was nothing to do with EU.

varian Wed 28-Nov-18 17:36:29

Anyone who uses the phrase "so-called experts" is likely to have been influenced by Micheal Gove "the British people have had enough of experts" and Donald Trump's counselor Kellyanne Conway who coined the phrase "alternative facts"

These people prefer a fantasy world of beliefs - and it does not matter whether they believe in fairies, unicorns or the sunlit uplands of brexit, they will never be persuaded by evidence or facts.

Fortunately these extreme brexiters are out on a limb and there are some folk who voted to leave in good faith but will now weigh up the evidence and realise they were misled by lies.

suzied Wed 28-Nov-18 17:49:22

newnanny we are still in the EU, and will hopefully have an indefinite "transition period", however the £ has definitely tanked, and every time another uncertainty looms, it drops like a stone. We have the lowest productivity of the G7 and that isn't improving, Unemployment may be statistically low, but zero hours, unpaid interns, a few hours part timers etc are all "employed", and with few people willing to take on low paid jobs in agriculture, social care means there may be will be huge problems in those sectors. If you don't believe there will be any negative impact on the economy you must really have your head in the sand.

varian Wed 28-Nov-18 18:18:46

No-deal Brexit will deliver 'catastrophic' blow to British auto industry, warn businesses in new survey

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-car-theresa-may-industry-uk-impact-survey-eu-withdrawal-a8654501.html

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 18:46:42

Exactly Varian we’re doomed .

stree Wed 28-Nov-18 19:00:20

I voted leave but not in "good faith", with May at the helm, all I could muster was "grave doubts"
She never intended us to leave, if she had we would be calling the shots and have some say over the process, instead of which she has manouvred the cabinet brexit team to become powerless and handed the reins to her Remain allies, economists and civil servants, who all thrive on the status quo and control and hold democracy in contempt.
That is why we have so many "expert" opinions fed to us , not to guide us but to herd us like sheep.

Labaik Wed 28-Nov-18 19:03:01

Rather be a sheep than a lemming...

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 19:03:13

I don’t understand what you mean by “I voted leave but not in good faith” stree .

crystaltipps Wed 28-Nov-18 19:08:21

May wasn’t “at the helm” in June 2016. Don’t understand stree’s post,

crystaltipps Wed 28-Nov-18 19:10:18

We can’t “ call the shots” as we are in the weaker position, contrary to the Brexit line. At least May recognises that.

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 19:11:45

Not sure there’s that much difference to be fair Labaik ( urban dictionary speaking ) I do know that a sheep is a woolly mammal and a lemming is a rodent, but they both have a habit of following the masses . wink

Labaik Wed 28-Nov-18 19:16:23

But lemmings do commit mass suicide; sheep only do it that in Thomas Hardy novels...

Labaik Wed 28-Nov-18 19:18:26

And, even if people are happy to ignore Mark Carney I can't understand why they choose to ignore J K Rowling, David Attenborough, Alan Sugar etc

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 19:21:55

It bothers me that someone with such power as Mark Carney ( who is a Canadian ) and in charge of the Bank of England should scaremonger and almost spread more panic throughout industry .