Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan

(106 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 02-Dec-18 16:42:13

Well it's all over the papers now. Harry and Meghan are moving out of Kensington Palace. There seems to be a personality clash between Meghan and Kate. It must be hard for Willian and Harry who are very close, and it's sad this has happened so soon after the wedding. I hope they can resolve their differences.

Anniebach Mon 03-Dec-18 12:26:55

All this seems to have started because Megan’s P.A. resigned after 6 months .

I am cross that Kate has been mocked on this forum for not having a career and sleeping with William before marriage, good grief they were only married in 2011, I wasn’t a virginal bride in the late 60’s

Hazy52 Mon 03-Dec-18 12:30:00

I read that they wanted the apartment next to William and Kate but it is already occupied (can't remember by whom) and they would not leave. So an alternative had to be found for them. Their existing residence has two bedrooms not enough for mother to live with them. I dont believe there is a rift but it is none of our businezs.

Marieeliz Mon 03-Dec-18 12:31:53

Its in the papers, so it must be true then, did your English teacher never tell you not to believe everything you read in the papers!!!! Its all a load of twaddle and they will keep printing it if, like some on here, believe it.

mabon1 Mon 03-Dec-18 12:40:58

Who cares?

CarlyD7 Mon 03-Dec-18 12:41:47

Shock horror - family members NOT getting on together. Whatever next!! It seems very obvious that Kate and Meghan are completely different women (apart from ages and backgrounds, Kate has never had a proper job but schemed from the age of 18 to get William, e.g. she delayed going to university for a year, just as he did, so that she would be in the same year as him = Fact). Meghan is American, divorced and had her own career. They can probably be civil enough to each other when they meet and that's most of what is required from family members! And, as the years go by, they will settle into a way of being with each other. Early days yet.

mabon1 Mon 03-Dec-18 12:46:21

AEPGIRL Why get drawn into it anyway?

Anniebach Mon 03-Dec-18 13:15:07

CarlyD7. Wasn’t Kate clever, she knew if she chose the same university as William he would date her and then propose to her . Do you think she used tarot cards or a crystal ball ?

Stella14 Mon 03-Dec-18 13:16:50

Really NigglyNellie? Not every woman wants to be a Feminist? You do know that Feminism is simply the philosophy that men and women are of equal value and should therefore be educated the same, paid the same and respected the same? I wasn’t aware that, aside from religious extremists in America, some woman wanted to be subservient to men. Women in India, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc are fighting for equality and you believe that, not everywoman here wants it!

As for the Royals, I have no problem with them as individuals. After all, they ‘inherited’ this medieval system which is clearly outdated and certainly, undemocratic. I do have a problem with them living off the taxes paid by ordinary people, many of whom are struggling to fund the basics for themselves (the arguements about there existence bringing in even more money from tourism has been shown to be inaccurate). As for the gossip, if the public pays for them, why not? Also, a journalist (can’t recall who) on Sky’s Press Preview made a persuasive point - saying, many dismissed the stories in the papers about Charles and Diana, but they turned out to be true! The stories are usually leaked by Royal staff. If the family wants greater loyalty, maybe they should pay them decent salaries. They are paid much less than the going rate for their jobs. They are told that it is a privilege to work for the Royals. This information comes from so many sources, that it would be foolish to dismiss it.

Anniebach Mon 03-Dec-18 13:24:36

Stella14 In fairness to niggly, she was referring to a poster who brought feminism into the discussion, surely feminists meet a chap, date, get engaged and marry

Newatthis Mon 03-Dec-18 13:44:25

She could be texting her mum who, living in California, is 8 hours behind, so 10pm in the evening there!

Newatthis Mon 03-Dec-18 13:46:20

and, with her seemingly very busy schedule, this might be the only time she has to contact friends and family across in California.

Anniebach Mon 03-Dec-18 13:52:59

Why would texting California affect her staff in London ?

GreenGran78 Mon 03-Dec-18 14:17:40

Aepgirl Let's not get drawn onto this gossip at all, whether there is firm evidence, or not. Two sisters-in-law may, or may not, be bosom pals, but who cares? It is their own business.
I am sick and tired of seeing gossip, speculation and probably downright lies being used to trash peoples' reputations. Just because someone has to live in the public eye, because of their path in life, doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to privacy.

Bridgeit Mon 03-Dec-18 14:50:55

Pure scandalmongering, cynical newspaper selling.
And If & that’s a very Big If, there is any once of truth in this speculation, well as we already know , they are just a family like everybody else.

Bridgeit Mon 03-Dec-18 14:52:05

Ohhps should read ‘ounce’

toscalily Mon 03-Dec-18 15:17:32

I have not seen any of the newspapers so only going by what is said here and I cannot understand why it supposed to be headline news today that they are relocating, surely it was in the media a week or so ago that they were moving house? As for the rest, it is gossip and I suppose will sell a few more papers.

toscalily Mon 03-Dec-18 15:19:45

Bridgeit, how the mind plays tricks, I actually read that as ounce hmm

nigglynellie Mon 03-Dec-18 15:39:18

Thank you Annie, that's exactly what I was doing. Perhaps I should have said 'active feminist '?! As you say, surely feminists meet a person, fall in love, become engaged, marry and have children?! Some women are quite happy to stay at home and lead a totally domestic life revolving around home, hearth and family and I guess Katherine is of that ilk, some are not, nothing wrong with either path provided it's genuinely what you want and are happy and content.

Anniebach Mon 03-Dec-18 16:29:39

Most definitely niggly. Seems being happy with a husband, children and a home, is not what feminists do. This feminist managed it though ?. Katharine chooses this life, good for her

Rosina Mon 03-Dec-18 16:35:50

I can't see how this can bear any comparison with the Queen Mother and Wallis Simpson. The QM must have felt hostility to WS because indirectly she was the cause of George having to take the throne, and he was woefully unprepared and suffered with a crippling stammer. Evidently the QM felt the strain shortened his life. She might have been right . How does this then have any parallel with Meghan and Kate? And how reliable are these sources of stupid, inane gossip usually with no foundation at all. I've seen the photos and headlines on magazines in the supermarket; Meghan is smiling, Kate, standing behind her is not. This provokes a headline that they 'Cannot live in the same house' - so unless both are grinning like maniacs, permanently, when together in public they must be at odds. How false these articles are, and how pointless.

winterwhite Mon 03-Dec-18 16:40:51

Some sort of clash was inevitable, surely somewhere miles away (Australia?) should have been found for Harry and Megan in the first place.
Hard to make Megan out. We're frequently reminded that she is a successful actress, experienced business woman and so on, yet in all the photos we see she's clingy and seems to be deliberately wearing a little-girl-lost expression which I find irritating in a woman of nearly forty.

Anniebach Mon 03-Dec-18 17:06:38

winterwhite this too puzzles me, Megan has adressed the UN, released a line of clothing, worked in Argentina and Spain, lived in America and Canada. Wasn’t at all nervous doing that walk down the isle alone . Yet she goes all shy and clingy when the camera’s are around .

merlotgran Mon 03-Dec-18 17:07:21

She's an actress, winterwhite. Her expressions will change to suit the occasion and her perception of the public mood, which at the moment is all things Meghan.

JenniferEccles Mon 03-Dec-18 17:37:08

Does Meghan EVER let go of Harry? Is she afraid of losing him?

Every single picture of them together shows Meghan clinging onto Harry like some lovestruck teen with her first boyfriend. It's very inappropriate when they are performing royal duties.

Rather than be concerned about a falling out between the royal wives though, it was Harry's comment about his wife which rang alarm bells in me - "what Meghan wants Meghan gets". Hmm.

It's pretty obvious to me that Harry is so besotted with his wife, he would give in to any demands.

It will be interesting to see how this marriage pans out, won't it?

4allweknow Mon 03-Dec-18 18:41:43

It's nothing to do with anyone falli g out, Megan and Harry are moving into another home as Kensington Palace is too small to accommodate everyone and their entourage. William & Kate have their home in Norfolk using KP for official business.