Gransnet forums

News & politics

"There will be NO renegotiation!" says Juncker for EU. Let us get out NOW!

(290 Posts)
Day6 Wed 12-Dec-18 14:05:39

So, the EU will tie us to them forever and tell us when we can leave, and which trade deals we broker with other countries are acceptable.

I really, really hope there is a well-developed plan B, because our dealing with the WTO has to be the best deal for the UK.

NO DEAL has to be the way forward.

I think we are seeing just how tied and powerless we will be if we allow Brussels to continue to pull our strings.

crystaltipps Fri 14-Dec-18 06:51:00

Even those that run the WTO ( shock horror they’re not British) say it would be not be smooth sailing for the Brits in the no deal scenario, we pay money to the WTO, we’d have to abide by their rules and did you know they support poorer member countries with their members’ money - yet we criticise the EU for that. Perhaps we’d be in line for a few handouts. It also misleading that the EU is the only member that’s part of a bloc- it’s the only bloc that is a member , all other members bar one are part of a trading bloc. Meanwhile, the EU has just finalised it’s free trade treaty with Japan, one of the worlds leading economies. I’m not sure what will happen to those Japanese firms in the U.K. which want to trade with the EU from here. Not hopeful.

MaizieD Fri 14-Dec-18 07:24:38

Here's a nice explainer of what solely trading under WTO terms actually means.

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1073221524545363973.html

Davidhs Fri 14-Dec-18 07:59:18

I've been in business for half a century and the first thing you learn is you play by the rules, you cultivate your friends because you trust them. Those you don't trust, it's simple dont do business with them, there are a few that I simply will not trade with Id rather sleep well at night.

Often business partners leave a firm, because they disagree with the company policy and set up on their own, sometimes they prosper, maybe not. What they will not normally do is trade with the old company they will often compete using the contacts they have.

This is what the Brexiteers want to do compete with the EU for better trade deals AND trade on favorable terms with them. The EU are saying OK you can do that, but you obey our rules, as they do with EFTA members. The present quarrel is about the NI backstop and UK wanting a unilateral end point, EU are never going to agree to that, it would mean that UK could end trade negotiations whenever it wished.

The trade negotiations due to begin in April will set tariffs and quotas across all sectors including financial services, good will is essential because compromise is needed and "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" for example financial services against fisheries, or food products against cars, that is going to take many years WETHER OR NOT TMs deal is agreed.

I mentioned fisheries, yes, we may get "control" but to win concessions in other areas, quotas will be traded with Spain, France and others. Anyone who does not accept that is living in La La land.

One particularly brainless politician said yesterday that we would not be paying the £39bn leaving cost, oh yes we would, it would simply be added to the tariffs imposed. Total pratts, the public actually believe such rubbish.

For the record, TMs deal is awfull, I would much prefer to Remain but if it is No Deal I will live with it but the poorest in the UK will suffer most.

oldbatty Fri 14-Dec-18 08:18:00

what sad little lives some must have

Not very helpful.

Nicenanny3 Fri 14-Dec-18 09:49:54

Especially if you have a sad little lifewink

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Dec-18 09:54:00

Belgium has announced that Uk leaving under a “no deal” would cost them 42,000 jobs. It cannot be the only EU country beginning to count the cost of “no deal”.

If these were my children I would sit them down and make them play nicely.

I voted leave, but even I can see this situation is lunging from one ridiculous crisis to the inevitable next.

varian Fri 14-Dec-18 10:09:15

The 27 other EU countries are certainly not children. They have been hugely inconvenienced by this brexit nonsense which has already cost them colossal amounts of time and money yet they have bent over backwards to try to help TM.

This situation was caused by the troublemakers in the Tory Party, by David Cameron who foolishly called the referendum, and by the voters who believed the leavers lies, not by our partners in the EU.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Dec-18 10:27:24

Sorry to disagree but they certainly haven’t bent over backwards to accommodate TM.

It is because I have family from 4 EU countries, an AC who has lived in continental Europe 15 out of the last 20 years, and having lived in a mainland EU country myself that I voted leave. We have never been considered partners by the rest of the EU.

Until “Brexit” actually happens none of us know whether alleged “project fear” or alleged “leavers lies” are the reality of the situation.

MaizieD Fri 14-Dec-18 10:38:34

So no-one's bothered to read Ivan Roger's speech?

suzied Fri 14-Dec-18 10:40:40

Its the Uk courtesy of the Tory party over the years which has always been eurosceptic and never considered itself an equal partner, rather considered itself somewhat superior and isolationist.

trisher Fri 14-Dec-18 10:55:12

GG13 Probably if someone met the people who march or gather beneath the EDL flag they would assume the British are racist, however most of us aren't. In the same way some of the people you have met might not regard the British as partners but many do. They are as upset about us leaving as many remainers are, however they are beginning to think that we will get. what we deserve given the hopeless mess our politicians are making of the whole thing.

petra Fri 14-Dec-18 10:57:51

MaizieD
I have, and as with most things in life it's his opinion as to how he views the situation. I view it differently.

MaizieD Fri 14-Dec-18 11:56:08

You being an experienced diplomat, of course, Petra with an intimate knowledge of how the EU works? hmm

oldbatty Fri 14-Dec-18 12:04:01

What on earth do you mean Nice nanny.....anybody who doesn't agree with you is deemed to have a sad little life?

Fennel Fri 14-Dec-18 12:19:09

Listening to James O'Brien on LBC. He sums it up well, imo anyway.
But painful to listen to.

Nicenanny3 Fri 14-Dec-18 13:32:30

oldbatty no only you lol ? ?

oldbatty Fri 14-Dec-18 17:18:02

Struggling to Lol to be honest. Had I attacked on of the coterie on here in a similar manner, the DM's would have been flying back and forth.

Greta Fri 14-Dec-18 20:57:56

It is true that there is now a lot of frustration in the EU over the inability of our UK leaders to work together and come to an agreement. If you can read European papers, do. One comment on a German site: ”Life in Britain must be wonderful if there are no other issues more important to spend time, energy and money on than Brexit.”
I believe that what matters most to the ordinary people in this country is not the EU. It is our NHS, our schools, our lack of affordable housing, care of the elderly and young. Pity our own government can not see that.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Dec-18 06:49:42

Just read that the proposals for the increase in NHS funding have been postponed till January. The reason? Government too busy with Brexit chaos. www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/14/brexit-forces-nhs-leaders-to-delay-their-long-term-plan?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Dec-18 16:08:55

It has been announced that Switzerland and UK have agreed a free trade deal to take effect immediately UK leaves EU.

Now let’s get on and sort out some more with other countries ???

trisher Sat 15-Dec-18 16:41:58

Oooh a market of about 8 million people compared with around 512 mill. Only another 500 million to find!!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Dec-18 16:46:44

Have to start somewhere.

MaizieD Sat 15-Dec-18 17:38:21

As long as you're content to be scrabbling for the small stuff... GG

petra Sat 15-Dec-18 18:36:17

Do some posters seriously think that if we leave with no deal we will never strike a tariff free deal with the eu ever again?
Of course we will, and I think this is the only solution to get all party's to see sense.

MaizieD Sat 15-Dec-18 18:43:48

No petra, of course we don't think we'll never strike a deal with the EU, but it won't ever be as good as the one we have now. And there are non-tariff barriers to consider, particularly if we're not in the/a customs union.