Gransnet forums

News & politics

why has no-one

(29 Posts)
Fennel Mon 17-Dec-18 21:19:27

mentioned Corbyn's no confidence motion?
What timing What a fiasco sad.

Anniebach Mon 17-Dec-18 21:41:14

What a prat. So obvious he chose today to become all ‘masterful, he knows there is no time, why not last week, or week before? His fans will applaud him for speaking out, where the hell has he been through all this fiasco.

trisher Mon 17-Dec-18 21:49:21

He has Annie been trying to get Mrs May and the conservative overnment to honour the commitment they gave to the commons that there would be a 5 day discussion and a vote on the deal she insists is so good. But it is so good she doesn't stand a chance of getting it through the commons so she is deliberately delayng the vote. It seems extraordinary to me that simple hatred of one man could result in someone ignoring a failing government which has been held in contempt of Parliament, has deliberately sidelined a democratic vote and which is in complete disarray and clinging to power with bribes.

Luckygirl Mon 17-Dec-18 22:41:10

It is not really masterful as it will simply not be debated; now a motion of no confidence in the government would not and could not be ignored. He has to be ready for an election if he goes for that and he is biding his time.

Politics always was a dirty game - they are all the same.

This is truly a mess though. Waiting till mid-Jan to have a vote gains no-one anything at all; unless May thinks the nearer it gets to leave day, the less likely people are to vote against her deal out of sheer cowardice and fear of no deal - just brinkmanship.

Anniebach Mon 17-Dec-18 22:43:38

I do not hate trisher, I dislike him, I dislike liars, do you hate every politician you critcise ? I sssume you do as you see my critcism of Corbyn as hatred

paddyann Mon 17-Dec-18 22:54:53

Yet you admire Mrs May ...one of THE biggest liars in politics ??How strange .

maryeliza54 Mon 17-Dec-18 23:31:28

JC was in an impossible position. A vote of no confidence in the government would be lost and he knows that. He gave her the opportunity today to say she’d have the vote this week on the WA which she should have. When, she said she would wait another 4 weeks he went for the no confidence in her - that will be lost of course but had he done nothing he would have been criticised - he can’t win can he whatever he does in this situation we’re in at the momen which is all the fault of TM - which some find hard to accept

maryeliza54 Mon 17-Dec-18 23:36:10

I now hear that the government won’t give the time - it really is all about brinkmanship as LG said and damn all to do with what’s best for the country

Day6 Tue 18-Dec-18 00:29:41

I do not like TM's deal and yes, she is stalling. However, that means her dreadful deal will stand a chance given we edge closer to March. If it's not acceptable - what is likely to happen? The EU will not negotiate again.

So, no Brexit or we leave and go down the WTO route - or May's deal tieing us to the EU is the best of a bad job and we go ahead with that, with the Irish border problem not being resolved.

I also have to say poor May has become the political punchbag for every chancer in parliament, like Corbyn and across the UK. Does anyone think he or any other politician would have fared any better with the EU, a divided House of Commons, a Remaining House of Lords, and the British public?

No one could have done more or worked as hard. I am surprised she is still standing given she has type 1 diabetes and had the poisoned chalice handed to her when she became leader of the Conservative party. It's been her main preoccupation. I do admire her strength and diplomacy.

No other politician in my lifetime has had such a term of office. Taking pot shots at her is cheap, whether you want to Remain or Leave. I dislike the deal. I have great sympathy for the women having to see it through though. I do wish one of her pro Brexit colleagues had been able to influence her more. I think some perspective is needed.

I fear we will be tied to the EU and will continue to fork out for that bondage to Brussels.

Corbyn is a weak rat who knows damned well he could not have coped with her workload or mission. My respect for him, which involved his eurosceptic stance (which he has ditched because he sniffed power and appeased his colleagues) has all but vanished. He is a coward, and an opportunist, backed by hard left Momentum bullies.

Grandad1943 Tue 18-Dec-18 07:38:39

Theresa May has been a far bigger punch bag for the hardline "Brexitier Nutters" within her own party, than from any other political party in the House of Commons.

Yesterday (17/12/18) we had Jacob Rees Mogg after calling for her to resign even though she had convincingly won an earlier confidence ballot called by a Conservative group in parliament giving the electorate the totally nauseating experience of witnessing him stating he was now "totally loyal to her and her government" and she had his full confidence.

What total joke this Tory party and government is, and they are the ones running this country and Brexit, not the Labour party.

EllanVannin Tue 18-Dec-18 08:01:53

What a sly creep that man is-------though not unexpected to try and big himself up. Just what is his game ?

Anniebach Tue 18-Dec-18 08:24:57

172 Labour MP’s had no confidence in Corbyn, most are still in Parliament

Anniebach Tue 18-Dec-18 08:29:53

Paddyanne. If Mrs May laid a wreath in honour of terrorists and then said ‘ I was there but don’t know if I was involved’, I would have no respect for her.

eazybee Tue 18-Dec-18 08:37:19

I don't hate Jeremy Corbyn and believe himto be a man of principle, but it is those principles I fear.
Theresa May is turning out to be an unmitigated disaster, and will listen to no-one, in the sure and certain knowledge that she is right.
Jacob Rees-Mogg tried to' persuade' her to resign for the good of the country, and is now, I think, attempting to hold the party together.
And in the middle of all this the EU, is cynically enjoying the chaos it generates, just as it did with Ireland, Greece, Spain, Italy, Poland and all the others, until they agree to capitulate stay.

Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 09:13:44

Watching the replay of the scene I thought it looked as if they'd both lost their temper.
But maybe Corbyn's move was calculated. Who knows.

MaizieD Tue 18-Dec-18 09:39:32

Does anyone think he or any other politician would have fared any better with the EU,

Not in the cowardly tory party, no. The referendum was a cynical exercise meant to see off the right wing of the tory party and UKIP. It had nothing at all to do with the good of the country; just with the good of the tory party. Cameron panicked when the result was known and May continued with the panic by rushing to invoke A50 without any plan and without any apparent intention of reconciling the two 'sides' in a vote that has split the country.

had the poisoned chalice handed to her

You make it sound as though she has been a victim in all this. What nonsense. She grabbed that chalice with both hands and proceeded to add to the poison.

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 09:41:59

Does anybody actually have confidence in that woman anyway?

MaizieD Tue 18-Dec-18 09:50:55

I have the utmost confidence in her ability to plunge the UK into chaos. She's done a grand job with it so far and it seems that our last defence, the Constitution, has no power to stop her.

Anniebach Tue 18-Dec-18 10:08:13

Corbyn is sitting on the fence still. Why doesn’t he speak out ? He doesn’t want a general election , he would have to tell the country where he realy stands. He can call for a vote of confidence in the government, why hasn’t he?

Granny23 Tue 18-Dec-18 10:21:03

The SNP, Liberals, Plaid and Greens have tabled an amendment to Corbyn's motion which would make it a vote of No Confidence in the Government.

Luckygirl Tue 18-Dec-18 10:25:38

Does anyone think he or any other politician would have fared any better with the EU?

I agree with MaizieD and was just about to write her first paragraph! Invoking Article 50 with such a speedy end date was a political tactical error of monumental proportions - like showing your hand too soon.

Leaving the vote till mid-January is such a cop-out as it leaves so little time to look properly at alternatives, should the vote fail to agree TM's deal.

Is there anyone who truly likes her deal, of whatever political persuasion?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-Dec-18 10:35:45

Jeremy Corbyn spoke the day after the referendum "demanding" the government invoke Article50 immediately.
He does remind me of a headless chicken somewhat.

trisher Tue 18-Dec-18 11:23:48

The purpose of an Opposition is to force the government's hand and ensure it is combated at every turn. The Conservatives were in disarray at the time having lost Cameron and Osborne, asing them to invoke article 50 was a way of applying political pressure. The Conservative party is still in disarray but it is amazing how many continue to cling to the impression that Mrs May is the brave heroine, she might be being manipulated by powers within the party but she has accepted the role and as such must take responsibility for destroying the democratic process.

Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 11:59:47

re the timing - I suppose any time a vote of no confidence is proposed is going to result initially in all the 'victim's party members rushing to the victim's defence. Even though they opposed the person in the past. To save their own skin.

Lazigirl Tue 18-Dec-18 14:05:50

I think it's disgraceful that TM has delayed the vote until mid-Jan, which seems clearly to be game playing. It will be too late to offer alternatives at this stage, other than her deal or no deal, and she is obviously banking on the fact that the many who do not want a "no deal" scenario will have no option but to agree to hers. So much for democracy.