Gransnet forums

News & politics

So now who's "stupid"?

(109 Posts)
Opal Wed 19-Dec-18 15:55:39

Anyone with a brain cell can see for themselves that he said "stupid woman". I would have had a little bit of respect if he had owned up and apologised, but he's just blatantly lied at the ballot box. Who looks stupid now?

Alima Wed 19-Dec-18 15:58:42

Haven’t seen the footage. However, rather than thinking he is stupid I would define him as dangerous.

Opal Wed 19-Dec-18 16:00:43

Yes Alima I agree, dangerous AND stupid.

yggdrasil Wed 19-Dec-18 16:12:37

Who looks stupid now? All those not realising this is just another Tory move to avoid actual debate on the state this country is in. And you can't say he lied in the House unless you have proof.
Why no fuss when a Tory called Yvette Cooper a bitch, or Phillip Hammond used the 'stupid woman' phrase in the House?

Nonnie Wed 19-Dec-18 16:25:32

Racist and sexist.

oldbatty Wed 19-Dec-18 16:27:13

I think many politicians look pretty damn stupid right now.

Nandalot Wed 19-Dec-18 16:28:04

I’ve looked at the footage and I think he did say, ‘Stupid people’, not ‘Stupid woman’.

humptydumpty Wed 19-Dec-18 16:29:03

Personally I initially thought he said 'stupid woman', but when the LP said it was 'stupid people' I watched again and changed my mind...

humptydumpty Wed 19-Dec-18 16:30:14

I would have thought in any case that whatever he said was the least of our problems at the moment angry

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 16:33:02

I rely on my younger daughter who has lip read for forty years, it was stupid woman , one has to press lips together to say people

Lazigirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:40:34

Anything to distract from the mess we are in. No doubt the tabloids ecstatic.

nigglynellie Wed 19-Dec-18 16:41:50

Well, I've looked at it, and it's definitely 'stupid woman!'

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 16:55:47

It was niggly, trying saying people without lips touching ?

Luckygirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:58:10

This sort of thing gets said in the H of C - it's a bit of a bear pit. I cannot get too exercised over it. They are all as bad as each other.

Mind you she has done some pretty stupid things - like calling a GE and getting a bloody nose. But delaying the Brexit vote and taking it to the wire is not stupid - but it is also cynical and sickening. Now wonder the opposition parties a royally pissed off.

nigglynellie Wed 19-Dec-18 17:06:06

If J.C had said 'stupid people', why leave the chamber in such a hurry? Stupid woman? Clearly getting some hurried advice on how to mitigate the damage!! Perhaps Shami was on hand to steer him out of trouble, oh, and write it down to make sure of no misunderstanding!!!

maryeliza54 Wed 19-Dec-18 17:22:35

Dead cat - and boy it works. Women are SO respected by the Tories that last week two men were given the whip back despite their behaviour towards women ( one admitted and one still under investigation by the police)so they could vote for this woman who is much much much worse than stupid.

Ilovecheese Wed 19-Dec-18 17:22:48

It's a good job that the Government has sorted out Brexit, so now they can concentrate on this nonsense. Not.

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 17:23:51

Luckygirl I wish he had apologised but he lied. He will keep lying when critcised

Nicenanny3 Wed 19-Dec-18 17:27:01

Not only sexist but a liar to boot shame on you Jeremy Corbyn. It was obvious he said stupid woman and instead of owning up to it he chose to lie ? like he lied about student tuition fees in the general election. Liar Lair pants on fire you have been found out Jeremy Corbyn.

Day6 Wed 19-Dec-18 17:31:44

Yes, there is a pattern emerging. Corbyn becomes either a) forgetful and unable to remember his actions, b) he lies and denies everything or c) he rushes away, unable to face the music and to avoid apologising.

He really is a mumbling backbencher at heart, not a party leader.

mumofmadboys Wed 19-Dec-18 17:35:16

I watched it and I am not sure he said stupid woman. I think it is inappropriate to label him a liar.

Nandalot Wed 19-Dec-18 17:40:05

Annie are we watching a different video? I have rewatched the BBC one and his lips definitely touched twice as they would do if he said ‘prople’.
Why am I getting so involved in this?!!! ?

Elegran Wed 19-Dec-18 17:53:29

So could someone who can lipread please watch the video and give us a definitive opinion, or is it going to be guesswork and one person's word against another? Has any lipreader in the media translated?

merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-18 18:01:28

It looks like 'stupid people' to me.

bmacca Wed 19-Dec-18 18:05:55

This is from a lip reader, who explains he said “stupid people”