Gransnet forums

News & politics

How to paralyse the country?

(42 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 20-Dec-18 15:14:35

So, we don't need Brexit to bring the UK to its knees, just a couple of drones being operated at each of our airports.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

They're easy to buy, easy to operate and it seems it's difficult to trace the operator of them.

Without very swift action to counter the threat it seems that now every terrorist and malicious person who sees/reads the news has found a perfect way of causing maximum disruption...

POGS Thu 20-Dec-18 15:17:12

Not another one.

# Brenda from Bristol

Elegran Thu 20-Dec-18 15:54:59

Could they train hawks to bring them down?

MaizieD Thu 20-Dec-18 16:03:35

Is there another thread on this, POGS?

I did look on 'Active' before I posted it.

If it's a duplicate I apologise

MawBroon Thu 20-Dec-18 16:06:37

As I have said on the other thread (Drones at Gatwick) it is clearly terrifyingly easy to paralyse the country.

MaizieD Thu 20-Dec-18 16:32:38

Where is the other thread, MB?

Gonegirl Thu 20-Dec-18 16:37:08

I don't understand why people like my DH, who is a model aircraft enthusiast, have to go through hoops to have permission to fly gtheir planes on a designated field, and have to take a proficiency exam before being granted a licence. Yet these drones people can fly them where and whenever they like, no holds barred. Doesn't make any sense. They should be controlled.

yggdrasil Thu 20-Dec-18 17:00:13

They are controlled. There are laws about what they can and can't do. These drones and the controllers at Gatwick are not legal and will be looking at several years in prison when caught.
Though I think a better punishment would be to make them pay all the costs of those they have disrupted.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Dec-18 17:00:39

Perhaps POGS meant 'not another drone' ?

I said exactly that to DH this morning - how to bring air travel to a halt and why couldn't they shoot it down. DH said not.

Anniebach Thu 20-Dec-18 17:05:40

I thought the thread title meant ‘ if Corbyn wins a GE’

Blinko Thu 20-Dec-18 17:05:49

Though I think a better punishment would be to make them pay all the costs of those they have disrupted.

Or how about putting them in stocks with a suitable label at the airport to face all those people they have disrupted...

oldbatty Thu 20-Dec-18 17:05:57

A few years ago towns were paralysed by flood water.

A town near us was cut off due to a fallen tree. No electricity, lets see how long we would all last.

POGS Thu 20-Dec-18 17:27:56

Maizie d

Here you go

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1255766-Drones-at-Gatwick

varian Thu 20-Dec-18 17:50:59

Aren't we lucky to have Chris Grayling as Minister for Transport?

Other countries have anticipated this sort of event and have the technology to prevent it, but clever old Chris Grayling either thought we don't need to make any preparations for disastrous events because the unicorns will ensure they never happen, or maybe he thought closing Gatwick Airport in the week before Christmas would be a good way to distract folk from the chaos of brexit - or maybe he just didn't think!

Cherrytree59 Thu 20-Dec-18 17:57:05

Annie tchgrin

Telly Thu 20-Dec-18 18:35:44

It is just ridculous when this was so predictable. Apparently there was a review a while back, R4 interviewed someone who made recommenations, and apparently nothing has been done. Until now. Hopefully it will not take a tragedy for action to be taken.

Granny23 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:41:54

The country is paralyzed? Really? I have been going about my business the whole busy day, while being totally unaware that the world was coming to an end. I think the word I need is 'Hyperbole'

petra Thu 20-Dec-18 18:52:43

Did anyone see the chap on the news who has developed a 'sort of forcefield' that can be deployed at airports. The drones just can't get through them.
He put it to the government but because of the law they couldn't be deployed.
It's as if all his birthdays and xmases have come at once. He can name any price he wants grin

Alexa Thu 20-Dec-18 19:15:50

How high can barrage balloons rise? Barrage balloons trail ropes which entrap flying objects.

POGS Thu 20-Dec-18 19:18:48

Varian

" Other countries have anticipated this sort of event and have the technology to prevent it, "
--

Interesting could you expand on your knowledge of what other countries have in place to prevent their airports. being subjected to this occurrence.

Alexa Thu 20-Dec-18 19:20:10

Regarding barrage balloons, two of those could each be anchored many metres below to separate mobile land vehicles, and the ropes could support the sides of a net. This system would then trawl the affected area of sky and capture the drones unharmed, and then they could be identified.

varian Thu 20-Dec-18 19:24:05

Here is an observation made last year.

"The three issues are how to deter people from flying drones near aircraft; how better to identify them so that avoidance action can be taken; and steps to limit the chances of intrusion into active airspace.

Deterrence is being tackled by education, such as the Civil Aviation Authority’s Drone Code, which urges “Stay well away from aircraft, airports and airfields”. Drones must be kept below 400 feet.

BALPA Is calling for “more high profile prosecutions of offenders” as well as compulsory registration of drone owners, with the rules made quite clear.

Identification and avoidance is mainly being tackled by the private sector, with the possibility of Government action. Drones could be fitted with transponders, which transmit data that would allow air-traffic controllers and pilots avoid conflicts. The police could also use the information to trace offenders.

There are also calls for geo-fencing around sensitive sites: an electronic “barrier” which suitably equipped drones are unable to penetrate. However, both transponders and GPS systems used in conjunction with geo-fencing could be disabled.

Could terrorists use drones to attack aircraft?
Security experts are worried about the prospect of an attack by a drone fitted with explosives. Terrorists are thought more likely to target aircraft on the ground rather than in flight."

www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/drone-gatwick-airport-closure-aircraft-flight-risks-runway-diversion-disruption-danger-terrorism-a7820116.html

POGS Thu 20-Dec-18 19:49:19

Varian

Thank you for responding.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Dec-18 23:26:09

I think they showed the type of deterrent which could be used at airports on the news this evening. They are already in use in airports abroad. At the moment I can't find the link, it may have been on West Country news.

MaizieD Thu 20-Dec-18 23:46:41

The country is paralyzed?

That isn't what I said GG13. Try re-reading my OP and also noting subtle clues like punctuation...