Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anarchy in the UK? When politicians ignore the electorate.

(166 Posts)
Day6 Sat 26-Jan-19 21:15:53

To quote the Sex Pistols.

We Brits tend to be a mild mannered bunch, unlike the French, many of whom are now sporting yellow vests and protesting in large numbers regarding Macron's political decisions. He has failed the public, and they don't like it.

Our politicians, not all of them, but many of them, are attempting to thwart democracy in stopping Brexit or finding ways to tie us to Brussels indefinitely. Many represent people who voted - overwhelmingly in their constituencies - to leave the EU, but it does not seem to concern them. and they are doing their utmost to keep us tied to Brussels.

From the article

With the rise of the new political classes, a different political dynamic is emerging.

Drawn from similar backgrounds (often middle-class, university educated, with little prior career experience outside politics itself), members of parliament increasingly sound alike, think alike and act alike

The evolution of a monochrome political establishment is producing a radical disconnect, which the Brexit denouement is throwing into stark relief.

What we appear to be witnessing is the corrupt mutation of the notion of the representation of the people in parliament, into _the substitution of the will of the people by the interests of the political class_

*We're entering the realms, no less, of state capture*"

It makes for very interesting, and disturbing reading, whether you are a Leaver or Remainer.

It's written by Professor David Betz is Professor of War in the Modern World, Department of War Studies, King’s College, University of London

and

Professor Michael Rainsborough is Professor of Strategic Theory, and Head of the Department of War Studies, King’s College, University of London.

Their argument is, "for many years now, governments, along with a significant fraction of the population, have calculated that the bulk of the people can either be kept in a state of apathy or bullied into submission."

Time to don yellow vests in the UK? Or do we roll over and die?

briefingsforbrexit.com/the-british-road-to-dirty-war/

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 10:29:00

GG13 what would it take to make you believe these things?

Where do you get that 92% from? Does it include tiny one person businesses? Is it a percentage of the value of UK businesses or the number of UK businesses?

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 10:30:26

Taken from the independent Factfinder organisation.

"According to YouGov, 68% of voters with a university degree wanted to remain in the EU, while 70% of voters with only GCSE qualifications or lower voted to leave. Those with A levels and no degree were evenly split.

These findings largely tally with the results of an Ipsos Mori survey published in September, and with polling conducted by Lord Ashcroft on the day of the referendum.

Of the 30 areas with the fewest graduates in the UK, 28 backed Brexit, according to the BBC. “By contrast, 29 out of the 30 areas with the most graduates voted Remain”, including the City of London, Belfast South, Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh, it adds."

Make of thst what you will.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:37:26

Nonnie, it came from Allison Pearson in The Telegraph.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:39:45

On the upside EU has agreed visa free travel for all UK Citizens.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 10:43:38

GG13 please answer the other question.

My friend who lives in a place which claims to have the highest number of Phds in the country said their area voted to leave! Perhaps that was down to the surrounding area?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:51:49

Nonnie if you mean why do I not believe scare stories- We have a medium sized business which imports from Germany and several other EU Membee States as well as India, Japan and other non EU States!!!

NOT ONE OF OUR SUPPLIERS IN EU IS WORRIED about not delivering to us!!! NOT ONE OF OUR CUSTOMERS is worried about our ability to deliver to them.

As for the Education standard of our 2 Sales Managers and Office Managers 2 Degrees and 2 with over a handful of A levels.

Anything else you would like me to clarify Nonnie?

petra Fri 01-Feb-19 11:03:52

Ah, but, Grannygravy your not an expert, are you. You don't write articles about trading/ pontificate on newsnight about trading.
No, you and your family just do it!!! and understand completely how it works, unlike the mouth pieces who've never negotiated a packet of fags. grin

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 11:08:09

Yes please GG Where do you get that 92% from? Does it include tiny one person businesses? Is it a percentage of the value of UK businesses or the number of UK businesses?

Incidentally, what is happening in one business is hardly representative of the country. I am very happy for you.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:11:32

Petra that is it, in our large circle of friends built up over many years nobody is panicking about their businesses.

There is a million miles of difference between “doing” and “talking”

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:12:33

Nonnie that was addressed in my post of 10.37 this morning.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 11:22:10

GG sorry but As for a third of businesses considering relocating due to Brexit only 92% of British Companies currently import / export to Europe?Just another set of statistics being manipulated for the masses. is your post and my question related to it. Please could you respond to my question? Thanks

MaizieD Fri 01-Feb-19 11:27:39

I'm a bit puzzled by this: ' only 92% ...import/export to Europe'

That actually sounds like most British companies. Is this a misprint?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:30:40

Nonnie forgive me that post should have read 92% of Companies do not import/export from /to EU.

I was posting without glasses on first thing (too lazy to go upstairs to get them)

Source as before- Allison Pearson, The Telegraph.

MaizieD Fri 01-Feb-19 12:53:17

I think that Alison Pearson is forgetting that companies which do not directly export to or import from the EU may still be highly dependent on trade with the EU. For example, all the NE companies which make components for Nissan and the service industries which get their income from the people employed by both Nissan and the British companies which supply them. So that is a huge range of companies ranging from suppliers of consumer goods to the leisure industry.

When this source of income is removed from the economy what happens?

Well, we in the NE, and those in the former industrial heartlands devastated by Thatcher's destruction of industry, know what happens. People become very poor and resentful and subject to mental illness and myriad social evils.

That's why the Sunderland Leave vote completely floored me. Nissan was an absolute godsend to a very deprived area.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 13:01:32

Thanks GG but I would still like to know what that 92% comprises. As a figure on its own it doesn't tell us much. It would be more meaningful if we knew that was by volume or by number of companies whatever their size.