Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shortages?

(133 Posts)
mcem Mon 28-Jan-19 12:23:25

Major food retailers are warning that food security is threatened by a no deal brexit. This will mean higher prices and empty shelves.
So say the Ceos of M&S, Sainsbury, Lidl, Co-op, Morrison, KFC, Starbucks!
Stockpiling of fresh food is impossible of course.
Freight through Calais could fall by 87% (according to government's own figures).

Urmstongran Thu 31-Jan-19 20:29:11

Walmart bought out Boots but kept the name for trading on the high street as it is a trusted brand (according to polls taken at the time).
However the company have made cutbacks for profit - I have a friend who works there - and it is now not as good as it used to be.

jura2 Thu 31-Jan-19 20:33:37

Lemon 'The medication shortages have their roots in the pharma industry and not to do with Brexit.There have been many shortages for a while.'

totally correct - but Brexit will make it much worse, We will be in competition for supplies with the EU27 (and other countries). They will of course prioretise inter EU supplies - for obvious reasons- but also because of transport, testing, etc, problems to UK - but mainly because they can sell to countries with a much better exchange rate.

PECS Sat 02-Feb-19 08:23:24

fullfact.org/europe/brexit-questions-answered/ There is useful non- emotional info on this link.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 08:41:31

Thanks PECS for this. I opened the link and it looks very useful. I’ve saved it to Pocket for future reference.
As you say good to have facts & less emotion!

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Feb-19 14:34:27

Just to put Brexit on a lighter note, we have taken on a young female employee in our business which we are training up to be a Legal Secretary. Her partner could not get into his work yesterday due to the bad weather.

They had been discussing stocking up for Brexit, so having time on his hands yesterday he told her he would buy extra for Brexit storage along with their regular shopping.

A few of us us have been in the office with her this morning (Saturday) and someone asked how the stock up had gone? Well, she replied, when I got home I found that he had purchased three tins of fruit cocktail and a large tin of cream.

When asked why he had bought that, he said "I always loved tin fruit cocktail as a kid. Anyway, it's a start." confused

merlotgran Sat 02-Feb-19 14:40:18

That's the kind of thing DH would do, Grandad.

Any excuse to get his hands on the things he's not allowed.

I read on Mumsnet that someone's OH had bought 20 Pot Noodles for the Brexit cupboard and they don't even eat Pot Noodles. grin

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 21:18:16

Love your story Grandad1943! Most of us (unless of higher intellect, operate at ‘what is good for me & my family’ level). And nowt wrong with that. ??