Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shortages?

(132 Posts)
mcem Mon 28-Jan-19 12:23:25

Major food retailers are warning that food security is threatened by a no deal brexit. This will mean higher prices and empty shelves.
So say the Ceos of M&S, Sainsbury, Lidl, Co-op, Morrison, KFC, Starbucks!
Stockpiling of fresh food is impossible of course.
Freight through Calais could fall by 87% (according to government's own figures).

paddyann Mon 28-Jan-19 12:39:19

Now now mcem thats just blatant scaremongering .The UK will flourish when brexit happens ...dontcha know ? We'll go right back to the land of milk and honey where the world will see us as the true leaders we are and immigration will not exist .How very dare you repeat what these people are saying EXPERTS as you well know ...know nothing at all anbout it!!

EllanVannin Mon 28-Jan-19 12:44:44

I should have emigrated years ago when I had the chance ! sad
This country is finished. It's no longer the place I was born and grew up in. I honestly felt more " at home " in Oz.Fact !

mcem Mon 28-Jan-19 12:46:49

Sorry paddy. What do these leading figures in retail know about the real world?
They are after all running the country's leading food companies and are experts so if course we should ignore them.
This is not about panic-buying tins of beans, it's about losing up to 87% of fresh foods coming through Calais!
Who could contemplate allowing that to happen?

notentirelyallhere Mon 28-Jan-19 12:47:00

It is quite extraordinary how businesses of all sorts and sizes are deeply concerned and predicting disastrous results as a result of the way Brexit is progressing (or not!!) and at the possibility, perhaps now, likely crashing out with a No Deal. The latest initiative being bullying Ireland once again, no surprise there, it's been happening for centuries.

Nevertheless, the Leavers will continue to dismiss it all as rubbish and insist that the land of milk and honey beckons and if not, well it's the fault of the EU of course!

Sad, ill informed, negative and divisive, the current state of the UK. :-(

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Jan-19 13:02:35

Everyday there are different "experts" and "captains of industry" coming up with opposing opinions of what will /maybe / may not happen on 29th March, depending on whether we leave under TM's deal, no deal or any of the Norway, Canadian or Uncle Tom Cobbly's deal.

The Mayor and the manager of the port of Calais have repeatedly said that as far as they are concerned there will be no delays through their port.

I have stopped listening to all the suppositions and guesses from all sides, we have no idea if we shall leave the EU on 29th with a deal or even if the whole shambolic mess will be thwarted at the eleventh hour.

My mantra has become worry about things that are within your power to control and change not those of which you have no power or control over.

glammanana Mon 28-Jan-19 13:05:59

I have always wondered what qualifications you need to become an expert

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Jan-19 13:17:29

glammanana - a self inflated ego for starters ???

Telly Mon 28-Jan-19 13:31:20

It does seem to me that anyone not concerned with what is happening probably avoids the news and neither know or care about likely outcomes. If we crash out it's not going to be much fun for anyone. Apart from the immediate impact there will be job losses and associated hardship. As usual it will those least able to withstand these losses that will suffer the most. I feel there is a lot of whistling in the dark going on!

Nonnie Mon 28-Jan-19 13:32:53

GG there are far more CEOs saying it will be a disaster than saying it will be OK. Some of the ones who are pro-Brexit have or are planning to put their money outside the UK e.g. Dyson.

I don't think we are anywhere near as worried about Calais as we are about our own ports. The information today is about imports not exports.

You may bury your head in the sand but many of us feel we can do something about it and are taking appropriate action.

Yes, I do think you have stopped listening that is what worries me. 'All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing^ You are not alone sad

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Jan-19 13:41:49

Nonnie the CEO of Dyson gave several interviews over the weekend citing the threat of a Corbyn led government was the reason he had moved his head office to Singapore not Brexit. He is continuing to invest heavily in R & D, apprenticeships and graduate programs here in the UK.

I haven't buried my head in the sand, but other than write to my MP (done) what influence has a little old granny from Essex got. If and when there is a GE or another referendum I shall use my vote.

Whilst I readily admit that the Brexit shambles has caused some problems and maybe we are yet to find out the true result of leaving. There are plenty of companies out their citing Brexit as a reason for their troubles when you only have to look at their past trading records to know that it is a convenient bandwagon to join.

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 14:23:09

Dyson is moving his head office not production. Isn’t that the kind of thing that other large companies do to avoid paying U.K. taxes?

varian Mon 28-Jan-19 15:03:46

A no-deal Brexit threatens the UK's food security and will lead to higher prices and empty shelves in the short-term, retailers are warning.

Sainsbury's, Asda and McDonald's are among those warning stockpiling fresh food is impossible and that the UK is very reliant on the EU for produce.

The warning comes in a letter from the British Retail Consortium and is signed by several of the major food retailers.

The letter from the retailers, says there will be "significant risks" to maintaining the choice, quality and shelf life of food. "We are extremely concerned that our customers will be among the first to experience the realities of a no deal Brexit," the letter says.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47028748

muffinthemoo Mon 28-Jan-19 15:15:41

Well, at least we will have plenty to watch on the telly when the food riots start.

MaizieD Mon 28-Jan-19 15:25:28

I have always wondered what qualifications you need to become an expert

Are you suggesting that the CEOs of major food retailing companies are not qualified to say anything about the effects of no deal on their industry, glammnanna?

There are plenty of companies out their citing Brexit as a reason for their troubles when you only have to look at their past trading records to know that it is a convenient bandwagon to join.

Perhaps you'd like to share some examples of this with us GG? I'm happy to be persuaded that it's true but not on on just your say so, I'm afraid.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Jan-19 15:30:07

I don't see that fretting about it actually achieves anything, any more than posting on a forum will.
All we can do is wait and see.
Arguing about it won't make the slightest difference.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Jan-19 15:46:25

Accounts of companies are available to be viewed on line MaizieD.

wildswan16 Mon 28-Jan-19 15:47:11

Whether or not there are shortages, I am certain that there will be panic buying beforehand. I would prefer not to change my shopping habits, but if I am honest, I will probably stock up a little more than I usually do. We can't panic buy fresh fruit and veg etc though.

Maybe it will encourage supermarkets to make better use of the fruit and veg we grow in this country and then chuck out because it is the wrong shape !

mcem Mon 28-Jan-19 15:59:40

What does it take to be an expert?
Maybe we should look at the accumulated wisdom of these chief executives of major food retailers because they might just know what they're talking about.
Please can we stop these "Be patient. Wait and see " posts?

We've waited. We're seeing.

Rearrange the words to form a useful piece of advice!
Head The Your Sand Burying Stop In

grannyactivist Mon 28-Jan-19 16:03:13

A third of our food imports come from the EU, yet there are 918 pages of regulations regarding Brexit on the Government's own website and, as far as I can ascertain, none of them address the problems about immediate food shortages. There is however a Report from the House of Lords in which it is stated that:

It is inconceivable that Brexit will have no impact on EU food imports to the UK. If an agreement cannot be negotiated, Brexit is likely to result in an average tariff on food imports of 22%. While this would not equate to a 22% increase in food prices for consumers, there can be no doubt that prices paid at the checkout would rise. To counteract this the Government could cut tariffs on all food imports, EU and non-EU, but this would pose a serious risk of undermining UK food producers who could not compete on price.
publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201719/ldselect/ldeucom/129/129.pdf

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 16:14:36

EllanVannin Where in the word do you think has remained the way it was 50to 70 years ago! Everywhere evolves and changes. The 50s were not the same as the 70s ..No communuty can be static! I expect there are some Australian people saying the same thing as you !

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 16:35:26

I’m off to wire up my allotment ?

varian Mon 28-Jan-19 16:44:49

Obviously folk are sensible to take whatever precautions they can for their own families, but WHY are we doing this at all???

The whole brexit thing is absolute nonsense. Ask anyone who voted leave -

-did you vote to be poorer?
-for your family to be poorer?
-for you, your family and friends to lose their jobs?
-for the UK to lose all the advantages of being in the EU - the biggest and greatest interntional trading block the world has ever known?
- for us to have to scrabble about trying to find the "least damaging brexit"?
-for the opportunity to see empty shelves in our supermarkets?
-for Mr Putin to be congratulating himself on having destabilised Western democracy?
-for the UK, a once-great nation, to become the laughing stock of the world?

If any, let alone all, of these outcomes had been spelled out to you in 2016, would you have been so easily taken in by the leavers' lies?

paddyann Mon 28-Jan-19 16:52:51

think it was Mr CAMERON who did that Varian not Putin!!

eazybee Mon 28-Jan-19 16:55:07

A relative of mine married a Belgian shortly before the 1975 Referendum about joining the Common Market and his relatives who attended the wedding in England could not believe the cheapness of our food.
Obviously, when we leave, all our food prices will drop.
I believe that as much as I believe all the scaremongering issuing forth everyday from those with vested interests
the experts.
What will be will be.