Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not just Labour then with division ....

(37 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 11:24:40

The EU too it seems.

‘The Yellow Vests Are A Warning Sign Of What’s To Come Down The Road:

In recent months Italy’s two far-right deputy prime ministers, Luigi Di Maio and Matteo Salvini, have criticized French President Emmanuel Macron on a host of hot-button issues from immigration to the gilets jaunes (yellow vest) anti-government demonstrations. After Maio met with gilets jaunes leaders this week and declared a “new Europe is being born of the yellow vests” Macron saw red. He said the comments were unacceptable “provocation” and immediately recalled France’s ambassador to Italy.

Salvini initially seemed contrite, saying Rome didn’t want a fallout with Paris, and suggesting the two leaders meet to iron out their differences. Unfortunately that conciliatory gesture was followed by insistence that Macron address three issues first: make French police stop pushing migrants back into Italy, end lengthy border checks blocking traffic, and hand over some 15 Italian leftist militants granted asylum in France in recent decades. With the European Parliament’s elections coming up at the end of May, France’s Minister for European Affairs, Nathalie Loiseau, just wants everybody to mind their own country’s business and play nice with their neighbors.’

I think there’s a bumpy ride ahead.

Lily65 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:02:29

and?

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 20:06:05

lily65
Nice little snide Emily Thornberry comment from you.
It's obvious that you know diddly squat about what's going on in the black economy.

Lily65 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:10:49

OH petra , you are so very rude. I am not remotely interested in Emily. I am not a naive fool. Of course I know there are many many layers of life going on right under my nose.

I said I have never been negatively affected by migration.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 20:12:15

paddyann
Totally agree.
My memory goes back to the early 2000s when companies were using the European working directive.
One company that took advantage of this was Irish Ferries!!!

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:41:44

I have never had a problem with migration or migrants.
Well, me neither, personally, but I do know of several people in this town who lost their jobs as a result of 'restructuring' hmm when workers were brought in from Eastern Europe under Tony's Blair's active migration policy.
I also know someone whose job was actively recruiting in Eastern Europe during that time; she was a civil servant, not working for a recruitment firm.

So I can understand why some people may have voted as they did.

Day6 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:00:29

I have never had a problem with migration or migrants

But years ago most UK parties agreed there WAS a problem and made immigration part of their manifestos for fear of losing votes. An open door immigration policy is foolhardy at best, and completely disastrous at worst and the public had to be reassured that whoever governed would create an immigration policy which benefited the UK

The open door policy is at fault, not the people, and all over Europe people are making noises about it, like it or not.

Lily65 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:04:48

I didn't say I agreed with an open door policy, I said I didn't have a problem with migration or migrants.

Urmstongran Tue 12-Feb-19 20:18:21

Thank you Jalima
Families affected by Blair’s ‘Open Doors’ policy probably did vote differently than those who weren’t.
Stands to reason.

Lily65 Tue 12-Feb-19 20:59:31

Like " you've been horrible to me and taken my job , so I am going to vote for the opposition"?

MaizieD Tue 12-Feb-19 21:41:47

Yet Manchester voted Remain, Urmstngran hmm

Urmstongran Tue 12-Feb-19 22:34:45

Voters in just three Greater Manchester councils - Manchester (60.4 per cent), Trafford (57.7pc) and Stockport (52.3pc) - voted to remain, with voters in the other seven local authorities opting to leave.

Wigan, Tameside and Oldham at 63.9pc, 61pc and 60.9pc respectively topped the leave votes.

The results meant Greater Manchester had the strongest remain vote in the north west, but voters in the majority of councils voted to leave the EU in line with the national picture.