Gransnet forums

News & politics

UK politics and Russian money

(83 Posts)
varian Sun 17-Feb-19 14:04:30

It has been well established that Russia influenced the result of our EU referendum using social media, the aim being to destabilise the West, but there is another, even more insidious way that our politics have been corrupted.

One of the leading activists against corruption has told LBC that the UK is failing to act because politics is polluted by dirty Russian money.

Bill Browder has been campaigning for the introduction of the Magnitsky Act around the world, which stops corrupt people bringing their ill-gotten money into western democracies.

That law has been passed in a number of countries, including the UK and the US. In the US, there are 150 people on the Magnitsky list. In Canada, there are 70. There are another 70 in Lithuania and 49 in Latvia and Estonia. There are zero in the UK, despite the law being passed.

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/uk-political-process-is-polluted-by-dirty-russian/

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 15:12:53

Theresa May woos millionaire Russian banker at Black and White Ball fundraiserWealthy donors paid thousands to be at the lavish annual bash - including the wife of a former Vladimir Putin crony

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-woos-millionaire-russian-banker-13963524

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 15:14:55

Conservative donors snubbed the party’s annual Black and White Ball fundraiser, leaving Theresa May increasingly dependent on handouts from supporters linked to Russia.

A senior party insider said many big donors had failed to show up at the social event held on Wednesday night at the Evolution venue in Battersea Park, London.

One donor who did attend said others had stayed away in protest at May’s leadership and her handling of Brexit.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-donor-snub-has-pm-relying-on-backers-linked-to-russia-xkqcb73jb

jura2 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:24:41

The most important question now is why the Police is not investigating those fraudulent activities and use of dirty money in the campaign?

The only conclusion one can come to is that they have been asked at the highest level not to - because it is just too politically sensitive at the moment. And that, is VERY serious indeed.

PECS Sun 17-Feb-19 16:40:03

Dirty money , from wherever, has been influencing decisions at all sorts of levels for years Even daft old Prince Andrew and his shady deals is part of that world. The huge influence of Russian money, the swathes of London and business now owned by unknown oligarchs is the latest wave. It used to be British /US dirty money at one time. People of enormous wealth have always bought power.

jura2 Sun 17-Feb-19 18:13:33

Sorry, do you mean that it is OK then?

This decision is a massively important one- which will seriously affect the country and the people for a very very long time - and the future of our children and grandchildren. It cannot be bought with tactics we would not accept from the most undemocratic 3rd world country ...

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 19:45:02

One of the leading activists against corruption has told LBC that the UK is failing to act because politics is polluted by dirty Russian money.

Here is Bill Browder giving evidence to the Foreign Affairs committee last week:
www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/7d134547-5e74-4b7e-a055-133c0e24e275

The first 15 minutes is very relevant but it's actually worth watching all the way through.

POGS Sun 17-Feb-19 19:54:54

The OP states ' it has been well established that Russia influenced the result of our EU referendum using social media '.
---

It is said Russia influenced / hacked / used Trolls to influence the United States , German , French , Italian etc. Elections.

So why has nobody looked at the UK General Election in 2017? If Putin had an Ally anywhere in the west it could be thought certain UK politicians would fit the bill.

As for the Magnitsky Act at least the UK has adopted it unlike most of the other countries . Am I correct only 6 countries have formally adopted the Magnitsky Act. The EU are debating the subject.

Happy to be corrected!

As for the Magnitsky Act this might shed a bit of light to answer the OP question ( or not as the case maybe ):-

www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2018-09-11/173536/

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 20:01:00

the UK has adopted it, POGS but hasn't used it. As Bill Browder points out. He says that we're the only country that has adopted the act but not taken any action under its powers.

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 20:06:55

I don't think that the Russians really needed to do much to influence the 2017 GE. They were already well on their way to achieving their objective of destabilising the EU when they helped to achieve the Leave result in the referendum. As both the main parties had achieving Brexit as part of their manifestos it didn't really matter to them which on won. Except that they probably see the tories as the best bet for allowing their money laundering operations in the UK to continue unchallenged (see Browder's evidence to the Foreign Affairs Committee)

POGS Sun 17-Feb-19 20:13:00

Another link that ' might ' shed some light to those who will bother to read them.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/06/britain-says-brexit-will-open-door-to-tougher-russia-sanctions

lemongrove Sun 17-Feb-19 20:15:21

Yet another ridiculous thread full of rubbish about the Leave campaign from sore losers of the referendum.

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 20:31:48

If you don't like it, lemon, you know what to do.

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 20:38:23

Another link that ' might ' shed some light to those who will bother to read them.

Talk is easy, POGS. Magnitsky was adopted by UK 2 years ago. We don't have to wait for Brexit to apply it. No results as yet. Are you going to tell me that we are struggling to find any Russians to sanction? Or are we not really trying...

Have you bothered to watch the FA committee video?

lemongrove Sun 17-Feb-19 20:39:27

I certainly do.....read this thread now and then just for a laugh, and take no further part.?

jura2 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:39:52

rubbish lemon- are you really saying there was no lies, no fraud, no foreign/dirty money and interference?

But yes, as Maizie says ...

POGS Sun 17-Feb-19 20:47:35

Maizie d

Yes I watched it and there are other sources for learning about the Magnitsky Act and I have posted links which give names and why / how the UK government are handling the advancement of the Magnitsky Act.

Some posters may or may not read them but the answers are there.

I suppose it is being seen as a game of timing , time will tell.

POGS Sun 17-Feb-19 20:49:13

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 20:31:48

If you don't like it, lemon, you know what to do.
---

You have the nerve to tell me to ' take it easy '

POGS Sun 17-Feb-19 21:02:30

jura2 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:39:52

"rubbish lemon- are you really saying there was no lies, no fraud, no foreign/dirty money and interference? "
----

Remind us Jura where is your country Switzerland standing over adopting the Magnitsky Act and providing a list ?

Is Switzerland a paragon of virtue when it comes to who's /what /where money is stashed ? .

jura2 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:15:18

POGS- what is the relevance to Brexit.

We have no Swiss money at all - only UK pensions in Sterling btw. We have to declare every single penny, our flat in the UK, any savings account - and our respective UK bank accounts have to be registered at our Swiss address. The relevance? None.

Paragon of virtue - not- but Referendums are the norm and the Government always ensures we are well informed, with all the pros and cons. But relevance- none.

MaizieD Sun 17-Feb-19 22:38:38

You have the nerve to tell me to ' take it easy

Calm down and re-read my post, POGS

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 10:46:53

jura

I was not interested when you told us you could no longer afford a new kitchen because of the pound/euro rate and I am not interested in your personal finances now!

I am asking you a question because you engage in posting making statements about the UK government and what it should do , giving the usual impression the UK government is some sort of fraudulent , uncaring country and I am interested in asking you as a ' dual ' citizen to tell us about your ' other ' country Switzerland .

Could you tell us :-

Has Switzerland adopted the Magnitsky Act? What is Switzerland doing over the Magnitsky Act?

My posts have been the Magnitsky Act and not Brexit.

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 10:54:37

jura

' Paragon of virtue - not- but Referendums are the norm and the Government always ensures we are well informed, with all the pros and cons. But relevance- none.'
--

Indeed Switzerland does hold many Referendums but the Swiss Government cannot enact some Referendum results if the EU says ' No', ' No Cherry Picking '.

As we have disgussed before on various threads.

The ' Paragons of virtue ' comment I made was with regard to the wealth, money , goods in the Swiss Bank Vaults that is hidden . Or am I mistaken?

MaizieD Tue 19-Feb-19 10:05:12

There's a petition to sign asking for government to:

'Undertake an independent enquiry into the role of Russia in Brexit'.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/239406/

POGS Tue 19-Feb-19 10:30:05

I would sign a petition asking the UK government to look into the possibility of Russian Meddling into the last 2 UK General Elections.