Gransnet forums

News & politics

Breakaway Labour MP’s

(693 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 08:35:57

A small number of back benchers will announce they are leaving the party this morning.

Chuka Umunna is one who may be among them.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Feb-19 10:59:25

Whatever

Lily65 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:00:18

We badly need hope and an end to all the hate and bickering. I'm not sure if can come from politics or another force for good.

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 11:00:48

Corbyn is disappointed

Urmstongran Mon 18-Feb-19 11:02:07

Seems though that the Remainer MP’s (most of parliament then) are still split as this now:

People's Vote distances itself from new group

A spokesperson for the campaign has sought to quickly distance itself from the pro-EU breakaway group.

“We are not a political party, nor are we ever going to allow ourselves to be associated with just one faction of any political party," they said.

"We are a campaign for a People’s Vote. We are supported by a cross-party group of MPs, as well as by members of the public from all parties and of none.

“Some MPs will have their own reasons for wanting to resign from a particular political party but, as a campaign, we are still working towards securing the support of the Labour front bench."

This is why we will be leaving on 29 March!

AlieOxon Mon 18-Feb-19 11:05:28

Just seen this on TV. They pointed us to a new website.
Can't find it!
Anyone know where their website is?

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 11:07:03

I listened to the live coverage and I couldn't help but note everything they said about antisemitism in the Labour Party, bullying and intimidation in the party , are the fruition of what some of us have been posting would/could happen when the Jeremy for Leader/ Corbyn /Momentum Party was formed.

I have no idea if anybody will join them from ANY political party but it certainly took guts to do what they did and apart from their Brexit stance I thought their reasoning was pretty sound.

I especially liked the fact they acknowledged the return of the programme of the old far left that uses class warfare and division of people to win votes.

varian Mon 18-Feb-19 11:14:04

This new independent group has a list of values. Missing electoral reform, and notably civil liberties, and the environment is low on the list, but otherwise a pretty good summation of LibDem values.

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 11:16:51

Hopefully this works.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2271096289793217&id=164665060214766&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

The media speech by the MP's.

1inamillion Mon 18-Feb-19 11:18:37

Well said POGS

trisher Mon 18-Feb-19 11:22:57

One has to wonder about the commitment of a man who stood for theLabour leadership, lasted 3 days and dropped out because he couldn't stand the press intrusion. Anyone want to take bets on how long his stance as a "new party leader" will last? Anyone know who is funding the new party?

Ilovecheese Mon 18-Feb-19 11:24:22

If you google "The Independent group" you will find their website.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:28:57

Good points trisher. This is not the start of a centrist party at all hence no Tories will join. It’s the next step in wanting a different leader.

POGS Mon 18-Feb-19 11:31:23

Well if you repeatedly tell somebody to ' bugger off ' by threats, bullying and intimidation don't be surprised if they do!

Niobe Mon 18-Feb-19 11:39:53

Mike Gapes is my MP. I will still vote for him now that he will stand as an Independent. I had been thinking of not voting in the next election if Corbyn was still leader of the Labour Party.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Feb-19 11:41:41

‘Ed Milliband Party Grandee’. ??
There’s four words I’d never thought I’d see in the one sentence!

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 11:44:48

is Chuka the new party leader , if so, which party ?

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Feb-19 11:51:59

It isn’t a new party

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Feb-19 11:53:30

trisher His girlfriend was doxed. An article on Conservative Woman threw incredible shade on them for not at the point being married and heavily implied that Chuka was either gay, unable to commit to women because of his ethnic background, or both.

(It's not a dogwhistle if everyone can hear it.)

I can understand his withdrawal in the face of that sort of BS. Subsequently he and Alice married and have a small daughter.

trisher Mon 18-Feb-19 11:59:18

Ah. thanks for the link POGS so it's not a political party. It's a group of Independent MPs. I think one or two MPs dropping out of their party and not standing down is bad enough but 7 is not acceptable. If they believe as they say that the majoriy of their constituents will support them they should go back to their constituency and test that with a by-election. Their personal stories are irrelevant. They seem capable of making general accusations that they do not detail but which no doubt are attractive to a right wing press. Anti-semitism is rife in the party- really? Then why not name names?
It's happened before and the participants for the most part sank without trace. SDP anyone?

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 12:06:16

It isn’t a new party, 7 MP’s would couldn’t support a racist, bullying , far left leader decided to leave, as did Frank Field.

trisher Mon 18-Feb-19 12:10:51

muffinthemoo I know what happened but it's his reaction I question. Think of the intrusions Corbyn has gone through, personal life, bins all raked through. Things could get much worse for. Chuka,

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 12:11:58

I am amused the cry is ‘ five left in 1981 and kept Thatcher in power’. Not true. The disastrous 1983 election brought Thatcher in.

The seven who have left the party have little chance of being re elected, Momentum will see to that

jura2 Mon 18-Feb-19 12:28:43

'Labour and conservatives couldn’t form a new party.'

why not? I pray the remainers on the Tory side will leave too- and join them- and ally with the Lib Dems, the Greens and 'even' the SNP.

Time to break up the damaging and destructive 2 party system and extreme see saw politics- and find common sense and cooperation in the middle. Hurrah- and perhaps hope at last.

trisher Mon 18-Feb-19 12:35:04

jura2 the problem being who will fund this party?

humptydumpty Mon 18-Feb-19 12:40:28

I think I must have missed something here: how come MPs are supposed to represent their constituents' referendum views even if they think they are wrong, but they can leave their party without reference back to their constituents? double standards surely?