Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stripped

(74 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:11:05

'Great news, 'ISIS bride' is stripped of her British citizenship.
Javid got it right, thank goodness.
We need tough and determined decisions in these cases.
I'd vote for any party which stuck to their guns...metaphorically speaking, of course.

petra Tue 19-Feb-19 19:15:14

Javid is definitely going after the leadership.
I think he stands a very good chance of getting it, when the time comes, of course wink

MawBroon Tue 19-Feb-19 19:18:41

Can he do that?

Day6 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:19:16

I have liked him from a while ago. He is showing he is a gutsy politician. Thank goodness too that he kept his promise.

That woman would have been nothing but trouble back in the UK, for so many reasons, and would have cost the taxpayer millions.

Good man Sajid Javid. Well played.

petra Tue 19-Feb-19 19:20:42

MawBroon
It appears he can. The journalist on channel4 news said that it's been done before.

Day6 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:21:09

www.itv.com/news/2019-02-19/shamima-begum-has-uk-citizenship-revoked-by-british-government-itv-news-learns/

petra Tue 19-Feb-19 19:21:54

One of the rare politicians who can read the public mood.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Feb-19 19:22:01

I'm surprised, but think it's a good thing, overall.

Day6 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:23:27

Begum's family are looking to overturn the decision.

"We are considering all legal avenues to challenge this decision."

Jane10 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:08

They could always join her if they wanted to?

petra Tue 19-Feb-19 19:30:17

The family are very lucky that they have a lawyer that working for nothing wink

NotTooOld Tue 19-Feb-19 21:50:18

I agree. Good news. I didn't know he could do that. I bet the intelligence services have come up with some damning indictment about her, there's more to this than meets the eye.

Ginny42 Wed 20-Feb-19 06:28:59

Have I understood correctly; that she left with her sister's passport, so her legal passport is the original one she travelled on from Bangladesh?

petra Wed 20-Feb-19 07:35:11

Ginny42
She was born in the uk. She has never travelled from Bangladesh.

Urmstongran Wed 20-Feb-19 08:04:32

It was excellent news indeed. Good decision by the Home Secretary. About time we had a more robust decision.

yggdrasil Wed 20-Feb-19 08:13:43

I disagree 100%. It sets a dangerous precedent as to how many other British citizens can be deprived of their rights by the Government and the Home Office because their parents were immigrants. Have we forgotten the Windrush affair so soon? I am not condoning what this girl did, but she should come back here to face the music. And her baby, who has grandparents here, is not Dutch just because his father was, when there is no legal proof of marriage except what ISIS says.

Niobe Wed 20-Feb-19 09:13:26

I agree with yggdrasil that it is a dangerous precedent to strip someone of their nationality and say that since her mother is/was Banladeshi that makes her Banglideshi too.

I am ethnically Indian and came to the UK on an Indian passport and later became a British citizen. I am sure that this government will not have grounds to ever strip me of my nationality but suppose in the future an extreme right wing party gained power? The Jews in 1930s Germany were stripped of their German nationality too. If you think that would never happen just look at the recent resurgence of extremists like Tommy Robinson and even some of the comments made by some of the people attracted to UKIP.

How soon we forget the lessons of history.

Anniebach Wed 20-Feb-19 09:13:42

She has duel citizenship .

Teetime Wed 20-Feb-19 09:17:15

I found the interview with this woman chilling in her lack of remorse. Good decision I think.

Niobe Wed 20-Feb-19 09:25:18

Annie, I don't think she has dual nationality. Her mother is Bangladeshi and anyone with a Bangladeshi mother is entitled to take Bangladeshi citizenship. Very different from having dual nationality.

Jabberwok Wed 20-Feb-19 09:48:05

I thought hooray too until I listened to the interview on radio 4 this morning which did make me think! This young woman has been extraordinarily foolish, even wicked, BUT, she now finds herself, with a new baby, completely on her own, with reporters interviewing her in a camp which is undoubtedly full of IS supporters, who would, without hesitation murder her and baby if she utters one word out of place! If I were in her position I would be VERY VERY careful what I said!! Tbh, I think it would be better to get her home, interview her in a place of safety, and see where we go from there as to what we do. She is still only 19! Which one of us wasn't pretty foolish at the same age?!

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Feb-19 09:48:18

She's been stripped of her British Citizenship because of her support of, and involvement with a terrorist organisation
yggdrasil, not because her parents were immigrants.

The right decision IMO. I agree with you Teetime I also found her interviews chilling. It's her new born son that has my sympathy; poor little mite.

Urmstongran Wed 20-Feb-19 09:53:49

Actually thinking about it further, you’d have thought during the interview she’d have cuddled her baby and wanted to show the baby’s face to the camera so the grandparents could see him. Second time she was interviewed the baby was hidden under her burka.
Strange.

Witzend Wed 20-Feb-19 10:12:46

I'm afraid I can't agree, OP.
While I don't think she deserves to come back, since the only thing she really seems to regret is how it's all turned out, since she has no other nationality she is our responsibility - why should we dump her elsewhere for others to cope with?

Someone quoted (I think) Voltaire on R4 this morning.
(I have not got this verbatim).

If you have a lot of stones in your field, you can either pick them up and put them in a corner, or you can throw them into the next person's field.
But the other person might throw them back.

It doesn't add, 'And they might well hit you on the head' , but in this case IMO it might as well.

Jabberwok Wed 20-Feb-19 10:25:50

Well, yes, hiding baby, or appearing to does seem odd! Who knows what's really going on in this young womans mind. She's already lost two babies in horrible circumstances which, as many on here will agree is very traumatic, and perhaps has made her over protective of her third little one? I'm not excusing her or even particularly pitying her, just trying to see what maybe a wider picture - or not, who knows? I still think she needs to be in a place of safety where experts can interview her and try to make a proper assessment of what exactly is going on in her mind and deal with her appropriately.