Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queen appeals her rates bill in Scotland

(92 Posts)
paddyann Wed 20-Feb-19 22:09:16

Well it is £16.8 thousand pounds surely we cant expect her to pay that herself out of the vast amount she takes off the taxpayers? This parasitic family makes my blood boil.Anyone else who wouldn't pay their rates would find themselves in court or vacating the property ...WHY should they be different ?They still USE all the services dont they?

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 09:06:23

gilly how will doubling the queens rates help you ?

MawBroon Thu 21-Feb-19 09:13:48

When did the US usage of “appeal” as a transitive verb become common practice in UK English?
I would still expect to read appeal against
OED
[intransitive] appeal (to somebody/something) (against something) to make a formal request to a court or to somebody in authority for a judgment or a decision to be changed
He said he would appeal after being found guilty on four counts of murder
The company is appealing against the ruling.
In North American English, the form appeal (something) (to somebody/something) is usually used, without a preposition”The company has ten days to appeal the decision to the tribunal”.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 09:22:43

annie if you look gilly has already acknowledged it won't help her situation. ?

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 09:23:43

Although pissing on her lawn ain’t gonna make mine any greener is it? wink

I think I already said that up thread Annie it wouldn’t in the slightest .

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 10:12:28

Then why want her rates doubled gilly ?

Jabberwok Thu 21-Feb-19 10:32:51

The Queen has as much right as anyone else to appeal her rates bill. I doubt it'll get her anywhere though! I imagine she gets her income through investments as do a lot of people, pension funds, British Airways, whatever!!!
MawBroon. ???

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Feb-19 10:36:09

Each to their own, I am seriously thinking of adopting the Queens way - never explain, never apologies.

Caledonai14 Thu 21-Feb-19 10:46:58

The Scottish Government has been battling away on the land ownership issue for many years. The new regulations are aimed at bringing large "sporting" estates into line with other businesses like shops and cafes, many of which do struggle to pay.

An exemption for the sporting estates has been removed and most of them don't like it. Most of them will be appealing the amounts charged, or at least querying them. This is the clearest explanation I can find at the moment. Apologies if someone has already explained this on another thread.

www.thenational.scot/news/17447506.revealed-the-queen-appeals-scottish-tax-bill-for-balmoral

I don't know why the hunting, shooting and fishing businesses were exempt in the first place but there are quite a few anomalies like that where big landowners seem to have a cushier time and I'm glad to see this kind of reform go through.

Privately, a lot of Labour and Lib Dem politicians also support this kind of policy in Scotland, but they aren't always allowed to voice that because of - well - politics, and in case they are seen as supporting a move to independence.

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 10:47:20

Oh for goodness sake Annie what do you want me to say ? I’ve already acknowledged that her paying more won’t mean I will pay less . Anyway she will need every penny now, with a new GGC on the way . Second thoughts maybe they should abolish her CT altogether .
There happy now?

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 10:59:05

If the Queen's estates pay what is deemed 'a fair share' of business rates, then obviously the local community will benefit. Lairds and landowners have long had an unfair advantage and Holyrood aims to redress the balance.
Gilly may not benefit directly but is there any reason why she shouldn't be supportive of other communities even if at a distance.
I sympathise with those who will lose their homes because of airport runway extensions or HS2 although these projects will not affect me directly.
I'm sorry that folk in Swindon and the NE will be out of work.
'There but for the grace of God go I" or the alternative view "There is no such thing as community" ( whether national or local )??

annep1 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:16:56

Oh I do enjoy these threads ?.
I hope someone opened my link and read the history of the Duchy of Cornwall. just one little example of how royalty acquired the land

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 11:35:04

Blimey annep Queenie can always ask the Duke of Cornwall to help out if she is short of a penny or two! Over £19m pa profit and that was over 10 years ago! He can spare £19k for his mum surely?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:38:49

So as I have gathered it is not just The Queen, but all large Estate Owners in Scotland who are querying a change in the tax status of land used for shooting, fishing etc?

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 11:46:34

I don’t give a fig how much wealth people have as long as they pay their due’s.

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 11:47:47

Can't speak for all owners of large estates but that possibility does exist. Following a review of business rates these estates will lose out on exemptions they had but which were not available to other businesses.
Hence appeals against new rates evaluations.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 11:55:45

Some estates are arguing that because they bring tourists to an area they are benefitting local business etc. but those tourists also cause wear & tear on local resources. If Ye Olde Worlde Tea Room & The Village Souvenir shop & B&B have to pay business rates then so should estates be paying at equivalent rates. Big business needs to stop opting out of its responsibilities.

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 12:34:31

I don’t give a fig how much wealth people have as long as they pay their due’s

And does she annie ? hmm

Jane10 Thu 21-Feb-19 12:39:17

I agree PECS. All businesses (and people) should pay their taxes. No reason for estates etc to be exempted. Historical hangover that people just didn't know about? I certainly didn't.

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 12:42:08

Doesn’t she gilly ?

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 12:48:54

I don’t think we will ever know Annie smile

POGS Thu 21-Feb-19 12:49:08

Gillybob

I am more surprised at your council tax payment.

That is very high.

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 12:54:01

We know she pays her rates gilly ?

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 13:30:04

A few random examples of council tax rates (band c)
Ken & Chelsea. £998.29
Gateshead. £1669.00
E. Renfrew £1450.64
Bridgend £1532.00

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 13:39:58

England's highest annual charge @ band D is £1726 in Weymouth.
Lowest annual charge @ band D is £678 in Westminster.

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 13:40:51

The poorest areas tend to have the highest council taxes .