Gransnet forums

News & politics

People's Vote March in London 23rd March

(176 Posts)
varian Thu 28-Feb-19 10:50:18

In October 700,000 people marched peacefully to Parliament to show how strongly they feel the need to have a final say on brexit. As the government is even now threatening to take the UK out of the EU on 29th March, another march is planned for Saturday 23rd March

So far coaches and trains have been booked from the following places-

Axminster
Bangor
Barnstable
Barnsley
Bideford
Birmingham
Blandford Forum
Bournemouth
Bournemouth Hospital
Bridgend
Brighton
Bromsgrove
Cambridge
Cardiff
Cardiff Uni
Cheltenham
Chester
Cirencester
Crewe
Ewlowe
Exeter
Exmouth
Gloucester
Honiton
Kendal
Kennilworth
Kidderminster
Kingsbridge
Lancaster
Ledbury
Leeds
Leek
Lichfield
Lincoln
Liverpool
Llandudno Junction.
Malvern Link
Macclesfield
Manchester
Newcastle Under Lyme
Norwich
Nottingham
Okehampton
Oxford
Penrith
Penzance
Plymouth
Redruth
Ringwood
Rugely
Sheffield
Shrewsbury
Sidmouth
Snitterfield
Stafford
Stratford
St Asaph
St Austell
St Blazey
Stockport
Stoke on Trent
Stone
Stroud
Swindon
Tiverton
Torrington
Totnes
Truro
Warwick Parkway
Wirral
Worcester
Winchester
Wrexham

We've also found:

Edinburgh: (thanks @Chuffingnora)
m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2362658943788845&id=552222038165887

Somerset: (thanks @KennDodd )
www.tickettailor.com/events/somersetloveseurope/239226?fbclid=IwAR3GsVyLHUL9Oyti6bS3ur1-9KD5M6GAfJUns4xA8FBMdL0ZV15Fu4VNHLQ

Devon: (thanks @KennDodd************)
www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/coaches-to-london-saturday-230319-put-it-to-the-people-march-tickets-56895949316?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=esfb&utm-source=fb&utm-term=listing&fbclid=IwAR1YmXEbRT6fZ0_4kEPh8WYBhRfNEqX9Tkrq5b1g7IYBmpqbmxr1PCA45KE

Penrith/Kendal/Lancaster Preston:
www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/coach-penrithkendallancaster-preston-to-pv-march-london-23rd-march-tickets-56829229756

Poole, Southampton:
www.tickettailor.com/events/dorsetforeurope/238421/

Glasgow Loves EU are currently looking at options. PM them on their FB page if interested. (Thanks @NuffingChora )

Bristol and Bath. there is a very cool Train service: (thanks @twofingerstoeverything )
www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bristol-and-bath-for-europe-train-to-london-march-tickets-57096658643?fbclid=IwAR3h4C3IN-y5zjI2ZN4EJ6RLhODpMEirFuE7Mms1XJuxbSinTKPxmK5SSFs

For people who don't have a coach or Hogwarts express and can't afford the train fare you can apply for your ticket to be paid for: getmetothemarch.co.uk/

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3510056-Put-it-to-the-People-March-23rd-March?pg=9

jeff53 Thu 28-Feb-19 11:21:47

700,000 people march please get your facts right

Tens of thousands attended the demonstration marking the second anniversary of the EU referendum. Some marched in the hope of stopping Brexit, some just wanted to have a second referendum on the final deal, but young and old, Labour and Tory, they were all united in their pro-European passion

Anti-Brexit protest: estimated 100,000 march two years after vote-----quote from the Guardian news paper

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 11:24:35

An estimated 700,000 people gathered in central London to call for a second referendum on a final Brexit deal.

MPs from across the political spectrum and a slew of famous names took part in the People’s Vote march, sponsored by The Independent as part of its Final Say campaign.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/peoples-vote-march-live-updates-brexit-referendum-eu-deal-westminster-london-latest-a8593261.html

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 11:25:33

The centre of London ground to a halt as an estimated 700,000 people from all over the UK marched peacefully on parliament to demand a second referendum on Brexit. It was the biggest outpouring of public opposition to government policy since the anti-Iraq war protest in 2003.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/20/70000-demand-new-brexit-vote

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 11:27:12

700 thousand people participate in anti-Brexit march demanding second referendum

112.international/society/brexit-march-700-thousand-people-demandingsecond-referendum-33370.html

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 17:47:58

FURY as People’s Vote project image DEMANDING new referendum onto wall of Parliament

(FURY from the Daily Express)

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1093494/brexit-news-peoples-vote-eu-negotiation-houses-of-parliament-poster-theresa-may

EllanVannin Thu 28-Feb-19 18:01:28

Bit of a waste of time seeing that no government has ever recognised its people or what their votes stand for.

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 18:11:07

We can only hope that when this brexit nonsense is over, good people can start to mend the damage it has done by reviewing the way we are governed.

The Palace of Westminster is a building in a precarious state of disrepair and some have suggested that instead of spending hundreds of millions on repairing it we should abandon it, demolish it, sell it off, whatever, and build a new parliament building for the 21st century - arranged, as in most democracies as a circular or semi-circular chamber to accommodate the true range of political opinion, as would be the result of a truly democratic proportional voting system.

Surely that would be better than the confrontational "them and us" arrangement, corresponding with 20th century FPTP two-party politics.

Diva12 Thu 28-Feb-19 20:23:55

Pleased to meet these other mature! activists outside Westminster yesterday. All booking seats to travel from corners of the country to get to March 23rd event .... and all really concerned about how the disastrous Brexit will affect grandchildren's futures.

lemongrove Thu 28-Feb-19 20:33:31

Oh dear, what a shame....I can’t go on that march as I don’t live near those places on the list.?

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 20:43:55

Where do you live? Timbuctoo?

EllanVannin Thu 28-Feb-19 21:20:33

I wouldn't go if I was chauffeur-driven. For all the use it would do.

Joelsnan Thu 28-Feb-19 21:33:08

Maybe the coaches could continue to the Channel tunnel after the march and into the EU, taking the teavellers to safety.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 21:34:36

No coach from Urmston.
No inclination anyway.
Good luck peeps.
Yawn. ?

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 21:35:24

Ha love it Joelsnan ❤️

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 21:40:25

Do these sweet people on the photograph have a crystal ball * Diva12* to know that Brexit WILL affect their GC’s lives adversely??
Anyone would think us Brexiteers dislike our GC intensely!

jura2 Thu 28-Feb-19 21:47:42

I really wanted to go this time and was prepared to travel and pay good money to get there- but sadly I am not able to. I know friends and GNeters who will be attending will let me be there with them in spirit. Do put my name on any banners xxx

MaizieD Thu 28-Feb-19 22:28:08

We will, jura. Train tickets booked and meet ups arranged grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Feb-19 22:36:32

The cynic in me thinks 6 days before B day
does not leave much time.

Nice of getmetothemarch to offer to pay for tickets.
Is there a vetting process?
Just wondering how many pro Brexit could take up the offer for a counter march or anyone who just fancies a bit of free sightseeing.shock

MaizieD Thu 28-Feb-19 22:40:16

I'm looking forward to seeing Farage march from Sunderland to London. I'm sure he'll be there every step of the way...hmm

varian Tue 05-Mar-19 20:52:34

Political BRIBERY!' Nigel Farage hits out at May's £1.6 billion boost to pro-Brexit towns

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1095611/nigel-farage-brexit-news-latest-theresa-may-vote-bribe-deal-today-live-show-labour-uk-eu

petra Tue 05-Mar-19 21:24:36

I think it's worth reminding people what Lord Paddy Ashdown said on the night of the referendum.
I will forgive no one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken, whether it is a majority of 1% or 20%
When the British people have spoken you do as they command. Either you believe in democracy or you don't

Urmstongran Tue 05-Mar-19 21:30:24

What a timely post petra thank you ??
PA was a much loved politician of some standing.

petra Tue 05-Mar-19 21:51:12

Varian
You never fail to tell us not to believe anything the Express prints.
So what do we do now with your link @20.52 ?
Please advise.

MaizieD Tue 05-Mar-19 21:59:11

What was it David Davis said? Something about 'If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy." wasn't it? hmm

I think that as the Express was reporting what Farage said to hundreds of listeners on his radio show (and has the video to prove it) you can safely believe that it is correct in this instance Ug