Gransnet forums

News & politics

No deal BREXIT.

(175 Posts)
boat Wed 13-Mar-19 19:53:01

Four votes!! That's damn close.

mcem Wed 13-Mar-19 19:59:51

Don't worry. The times they are a-changing.
At least one minister has resigned.
4 abstained.

andycameron69 Thu 14-Mar-19 09:58:05

the vote is not legal

the legal default is wto no deal to leave the horrid EU

thank heavens

excited
grin

Teetime Thu 14-Mar-19 10:14:49

Oh please let's just get out and get on with it. apparently they have spent 4 Billion on post No Deal planning. Let me out!

Gonegirl Thu 14-Mar-19 10:26:21

I think there is a possibility that Theresa will get her deal through.

I don't want No Deal. I want us to stay in a good relationship with the rest of Europe.

Kittye Thu 14-Mar-19 10:32:02

I’m with you Gonegirl I find a No Deal situation very scary!

LadyGracie Thu 14-Mar-19 12:11:08

I just want out of the EU and then to get this government out, we’re currently being dragged along by self serving idiots.

andycameron69 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:14:50

true ladyG

EllanVannin Thu 14-Mar-19 12:33:12

After all this tripe that's been dished out I'd be delighted to see a no deal, that'll larn 'em !
I don't care any more.

Labaik Thu 14-Mar-19 12:36:23

If I hear one more person say 'let's get on with it' I'll scream. On a par with 'taking back control'...meaningless jingoism....angry...

Synonymous Thu 14-Mar-19 12:36:37

The democratic vote was to leave. We didn't vote to 'negotiate to get out' and we don't need to. All we need to do is to say we are open to ALL countries who want to make deals with us and we would appreciate if everyone would make an orderly queue. The Commonwealth countries and our closest allies will be very pleased to do so.
Nobody thinks it is going to be easy but we just need to work together to make it work for our nation. Anyone who thinks the British lack the ability lacks the historical knowledge of our country. We do still have strong, inventive and capable people here and we need them to stand up and serve our country rather than themselves.

Nicenanny3 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:39:37

I don't want Theresa Mays deal (it's not a deal it's a treaty) to get through I want us to just Leave on the 29th March with no deal.

crystaltipps Thu 14-Mar-19 12:45:14

Anyone who thinks countries will be queuing up to trade with us after this shenanigans are rather optimistic. The former Australian PM the other day called Brexit “b*llocks and said Australians were laughing at us. Anyone who trusts our politicians of any hue at the moment to provide inspirational leadership and negotiate effectively on our behalf are similarly optimistic.

Fennel Thu 14-Mar-19 12:52:18

Although it goes against the grain with me, in practical ways, I too wish they would somehow cut it short now. And make the best of it.
The more they prevaricate, the deeper they dig the hole - for them and for us.

mumofmadboys Thu 14-Mar-19 12:57:21

Democracy is a dynamic process and people's views change as new info emerges. I want a second referendum with carefully detailed options in the light of all the complications

moggie57 Thu 14-Mar-19 13:00:18

we voted out or some of us did .so why do the mps have to vote on a deal. we can leave without one. australia did and they doing well ,they even trading with europe...load of hogwash ...scare mongering twaddle.

nanasam Thu 14-Mar-19 13:06:55

Our country is the laughing stock of the world, it’s so embarrassing. We’re making ourselves look idiots.

crystaltipps Thu 14-Mar-19 13:07:01

Australia has a free trade deal with the EU which we benefit from. It’s also in an Asian trading bloc of several countries including China and Japan. It’s not operating alone.

jura2 Thu 14-Mar-19 13:08:51

And now Banks has visited Salvini, the head of the Lega Nord Italian fascist party- to get him to block an extension sad
And Paisley clearly states in the House that the Government better watch it - as they keep them in power sad

Jacksgrandma123 Thu 14-Mar-19 13:09:46

I feel that this has broken democracy. The majority of people voted to leave the EU. All political parties voted to uphold this in parliament and made it part of their election manifestos. I don't know now how people will be able to trust politicians in the future due to the majority of remain MPs voting against their constituents wishes. I have friends who support different views and currently none of us would know who to vote for in another election. I have always been quite sure of my politics but recently no party represents my views enough for me to support any of them. I've always voted , so I suspect I may have to spoil my ballot paper in protest ! Have sent a missive to my MP today . I think it is very dangerous when MPs place themselves above the electorate , that's how dictatorships start! Interesting and somewhat disturbing times...

jura2 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:26:56

jacksgrandma- in the UK we have a Parliamentary Democracy- NOT a direct Democracy - where Referendums are not the norm, and can only ever be, whatever Cameron promised. by our own Laws- advisory.

What has broken democracy has been the campaign, based on massive lies, proven fraud, illegal money and foreign interference and illegal and hidden targetting of certain groups.

POGS Thu 14-Mar-19 15:46:16

jura

" where Referendums are not the norm, and can only ever be, whatever Cameron promised. by our own Laws- advisory."
---
How does that work with a Scottish Referendum for Independence?

andycameron69 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:51:49

I understand the majority won Leave...

democracy
and majority fantastic words.

I did not vote for some traiterous "deal" to keep my beloved GB in...which is what treason May is doing.

her deal is not leaving

wto and out with no deal are leaving. and democracy is a huge process to be treasured.

grin

andycameron69 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:52:51

nice nanny
flowers

grin

lemongrove Thu 14-Mar-19 16:00:40

Referendums here may well be advisory, but Parliament can choose ( and vote) to implement the results......which they did with the referendum on leaving the EU.