Gransnet forums

News & politics

A brief overview of Theresa May’s deal

(42 Posts)
Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 08:03:03

Having read this link, what do you think?

andycameron69 Fri 15-Mar-19 08:06:01

it does not let us leave the EU. it is a traitorous deal. I did not vote for a deal. it was remain or leave.

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 08:08:26

You haven’t bothered to read it. I asked for comments on the link after reading. You are just spouting your usual line.

andycameron69 Fri 15-Mar-19 08:18:00

Ive read it before actually

dragonfly46 Fri 15-Mar-19 08:22:44

Fair enough Andy so you would let the Irish people hang out to dry?

What makes my blood boil is the millions the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg have made out of Brexit. They should be charged with Treason.

Sorry Anja slightly off topic.

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 08:25:41

So specifically then andy ?

GrandmaMoira Fri 15-Mar-19 08:27:47

I think it is a good deal. Personally, I would rather stay in the EU but as people voted to leave, this is the best we can have. I am finding it very difficult to get my head round the fact that leavers are so unhappy about the deal to leave whilst many remainers accept it.
The deal is a deal to leave the EU, why don't Leavers like it? I don't understand.

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 08:29:19

This wasn’t intended to be just another Brexit thread with people commenting their feelings without having reference to specifics. . I was inviting people to comment on what is in the link. Hoping that’s possible.

petra Fri 15-Mar-19 08:38:26

Not enough detail for me.
As they say the devil is in the detail

dragonfly46 Fri 15-Mar-19 08:51:48

The deal in general seems fair and is certainly better than no deal although specifics are a little vague. It would seem also that there is still a lot of negotiation to be done e.g. the fishing rights.

It does not mention reciprocal tax rights. We get two pensions from the Netherlands but pay tax on them in the UK. I know the Dutch government are not too happy about losing this money and their tax and national insurance rates are much higher than here.

Luckygirl Fri 15-Mar-19 08:52:45

I am very concerned about the fisheries aspect re coastal waters. I am sure that many people in those communities voted leave.

I also feel very angry with TM about her game-playing. When a vote on the deal was delayed some time ago, she said she was not just trying to push things to the wire, but here she is presenting the deal again and again, getting nearer and nearer to the wire. It does not matter wh\t your views are on the deal itself, this cynical game-playing is nauseating. "You will sit there till you eat it, or get no pudding." Wretched woman.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Mar-19 08:58:13

How does that sum up the deal? confused

Gonegirl Fri 15-Mar-19 09:01:13

Sorry! Link came up wrong to start with. Just Theresa giving a short speech of "reassurance".

Will go back and read it again.

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 09:04:06

Fair comment Lucky and yes, many fishing communities did vote leave.

Petra this is a summary of an almost 600 page detailed document. Which part would you like to see more details on?

Good point dragonfly.

You see what’s becoming clear is that very few people actually know what’s in this deal. People are being lead by the nose, either by the media, other outside influences, or just that gut feeling that we should be ‘in’ or ‘out’.

I have no inclinations either way. I see both sides of the arguement. But if you have a view then it ought to be backed up by reason.

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 09:05:12

Thank you Gonegirl

Having to go now busy day Friday. But will look in later in day.

Riverwalk Fri 15-Mar-19 09:10:54

Petra the full 585-page document is available online, if you really want detail!

Gonegirl Fri 15-Mar-19 09:14:12

Well I think it sounds fine. Some stuff to be "thrashed out later", that's to be expected. We won't need a visa to pop over for a holiday. No tariffs on trade. Sharing criminal and terrorist information. What's not to like.

Far better than No Deal!

If it's really got to be done, and it has, just get on with it now.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Mar-19 09:14:34

I do like the INews.

mcem Fri 15-Mar-19 09:23:25

So much 'parking' of big issues. Not only fishing but seamless electronic commerce (currently no more than a research task).
So much of the "we will" but so little we have firmly agreed.
So nebulous.
So many promises from a government that has broken so many and simply cannot be trusted.
How can we trust a cabinet/government whose brexit secretary urges HoC to back an upcoming amendment and then votes against it?
More than ever after yesterday's fiasco I want 2 votes - to allow us to remain in EU and also for Scotland to leave the UK.

Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Mar-19 11:19:37

Have read Thank you Anja.
My view is that in the main the fishing industry voted out and they have been sold down the river.
Their livelihoods are at stake.
They unlike the miners have very little political leverage, can't for instance strike or work to rule as many are
self-employed.
From their point of view No deal would probably be the better option.

jura2 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:02:01

or as Jon Snow says it so well

www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/03/15/jon-snow-taking-matt-hancock-brexit-speaks-for-entire-nation-right-now/

jura2 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:09:28

HUGE respect for Dominic Grieve

www.facebook.com/bbcthisweek/videos/371143657072819/

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 13:09:42

But it would make ex-pats more secure?

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 13:13:09

I find the responses very interesting and, unlike other Brexit threads where (almost) everyone weighs in with an opinion unsupported (mainly) by fact, very few have posted. Those who did have (mainly) read the link and reacted to it.

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:15:46

As long as my family get all their dues in Oz from here I don't much care what happens.