Gransnet forums

News & politics

A brief overview of Theresa May’s deal

(43 Posts)
Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 08:03:03

Having read this link, what do you think?

jura2 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:17:18

I do find this statement mindblowing EllanVannin - truly.

Urmstongran Fri 15-Mar-19 14:27:11

I haven’t opened the link because I am fed up of Brexit now.

I’m not posting on any more forums about it any more.

The public who voted to Leave the E.U. have been shafted by a Parliament who want to hijack proceedings and ‘take back control’. I’ve given up on thinking about it any more as, in my opinion, if it ever happens (!) it will be such a watered down version of Brexit as envisaged by Leavers, it’s not worth it. Plus, every little thing that goes wrong if we do ‘ahem’ Leave will be grist to the mill for Remainers.

R.I.P. Brexit.

jura2 Fri 15-Mar-19 15:36:09

Your choice.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Mar-19 15:41:05

Come on andy!

Gonegirl Fri 15-Mar-19 15:41:47

Where's he gone? confused

andycameron69 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:04:14

i was gardening working

her deal is not leave, I do not agree with it.

It holds us in the EU customs union.

This one fact alone means we are not leaving.

It is lies and not what I voted for. i.e. Leave

Fennel Fri 15-Mar-19 16:11:33

This is the bit that that seems important too. Though I'm not sure what it means:
"Once the UK officially leaves the EU on March 29 2019, both sides have agreed that the UK will enter into a transition period where the UK will enter into a “single customs territory” with the EU. "
With the option to continue?
This sounds like the plan that Corbyn had in mind.

andycameron69 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:38:40

customs territory is another word for customs union and is not leaving at all

I have been betrayed by all of them , lie after lie, do the opposite to their manifesto.

They all serve themselves politicians, now I see this finally after trusting them. Very dangerous and are against the uk as they are getting incentives to betray us.

I see now how niave I have been in trusting any politician .

varian Sat 16-Mar-19 11:25:12

You certainly were niaive if you ever trusted Nigel Farage, Daniel Hannan, Boris Johnson, Liam Fox, Micheal Gove, Owen Paterson, Bill Cash, Kate Hoey, Andrea Leadsum , Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin or any of the other Leave liars.

GillT57 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:51:13

A very useful link, thank you. So much detail to be sorted within the broad categories. But overall I think that like all compromises it will end up pleasing neither side of the Brexit divide. Too much emotion and not enough information seems to be the common theme.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 12:40:56

Perhaps Theresa May’s deal is fair then. I don’t particularly like it but is it a workable compromise? They negotiated until we reached a mid-point agreement that neither Remain nor Leave are entirely happy with. Is this then a good indication that it was pretty fair?

Anja Sat 16-Mar-19 13:26:12

I still think we should stay in a Customs Union. This does NOT mean free movement of labour. I don’t have a problem with that but I understand some people are a touch xenophobic and might.

If andypandy could explain exactly what part of being in the EU he dislikes then perhaps i could understand where he is coming from. I’m sure even the most ardent remainers have reservations about a couple of their policies.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 14:25:10

I was more for just bluddy Leave without a deal. Just get us out.

Now I’m more disposed to compromise.

I think TM deal achieves that. I’m happy ‘enough’ with it. It’s not great but it’s workable, allows a transition period while we all adjust and negotiate further.

lemongrove Sat 16-Mar-19 14:27:19

Yes Urmston I agree, and it should be accepted.....hopefully it will be......eventually!

varian Sun 17-Mar-19 20:19:30

Don’t bet there’ll be a third vote on Theresa May’s deal

www.itv.com/news/2019-03-16/dont-bet-therell-be-a-third-vote-on-theresa-mays-deal/

lemongrove Sun 17-Mar-19 21:07:15

Betting on anything at this stage would be futile, but I do think there is real hope now that May’s deal will be passed either on third or fourth voting.?

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 18:35:32

Really??